Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Godlike subraces ?!

Godlike race subrace

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: godlikes (78 member(s) have cast votes)

What type of godlikes whoud you like to see (play) ?

1. Angelic inspired (Asimar) (45 votes [17.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.93%

2. Demonic inspired (47 votes [18.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.73%

3. Death Gods, Shinigami, reaper inspired (more dark ghost with death assosiation ones) (17 votes [6.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.77%

4. Animal/ nature/ plant inspired. (36 votes [14.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.34%

5. Mythical creatures inspirations (minotaur, centaur, tytan etc) (25 votes [9.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.96%

6. Inspired on elementals (fire genasi etc) (40 votes [15.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.94%

7. Other or not-dimensional/ other plane creatures (Githzerai) (19 votes [7.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.57%

8. Aliens, furrys, pokemons or other wierd stuff (5 votes [1.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.99%

9. other or don't have opinion (10 votes [3.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.98%

10. I don't want to see any kind of godlikes. (7 votes [2.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.79%

How many subraces og godlikes whoud you like to see ?

1. more then 10 (17 votes [21.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.79%

2. more then 6 bot not more then 10 (11 votes [14.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.10%

3. more then 2 but not more then 6. (36 votes [46.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

4. only 2 (6 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

5. only 1 (8 votes [10.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Eiphel

Eiphel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Something simple and functional like 'changed' might ultimately flow better when used in dialogue and such. For a more jazzy name, I think it's still important to avoid any specific connotations which might not be true for the character. (I mean, I am assuming from a game balance perspective godlikes are not just better than normal races.)

• Lephys likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Maybe even just something simple, like "The Altered." *shrug*. I'd think the main focus in their agreed-upon-name, as a group, according to all the people of the world, should be their difference from "regular" people. The nature of that difference is obviously going to vary drastically between the people who think they're more special than everyone else (in a good way) and those who believe they're tainted or just-plain bad news, as well as between those who actually believe their difference has anything to do with the gods and those who doubt this with absolution and believe them to be man-made abominations or genetic freaks.

Or, if the majority of people believe they ARE sparked by the influence of the gods (for better or for worse), maybe something like "Tampered" would work. Hmm... too bland, maybe...

"Otherborn"? Oooh! "The Aberrant," maybe? One meaning is "differing from the right/correct," while another is simply "differing from the usual," so it could actually be used negatively OR positively. It could be flawed, OR exceptional. 8P

You could even have the people who view them negatively mock their "official" title by referring to them as "Abhorrent" instead of "Aberrant."

Edited by Lephys, 01 July 2013 - 05:20 PM.

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3020 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Perhaps different factions would call them something different? It would make sense, given that some groups vehemently despise them while some revere them.
  • Lephys likes this

Micamo

Micamo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 312 posts

Something simple and functional like 'changed' might ultimately flow better when used in dialogue and such. For a more jazzy name, I think it's still important to avoid any specific connotations which might not be true for the character. (I mean, I am assuming from a game balance perspective godlikes are not just better than normal races.)

Connotations are exactly what we want in a name, at least connotations of things that hold for all characters. This is what I was going for with "Godscarred": The Goldikes are the result of a god tampering with a soul for whatever reason, and their physical differences are a manifestation of this tampering. I imagine that most godlikes, one way or another, struggle to deal with the consequences of this. Some can handle their scars and come out stronger for them, others can't and are destroyed by them.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
^ The one and only (albeit minor) problem I have with "godscarred" is that it doesn't really flow very well. Well... I guess that and the people who think them to be divine/blessed beings wouldn't really want to refer to their blessing's manifestation as the after-effects of a wound. *le shruggles*. But they could always call them something different.

Edited by Lephys, 01 July 2013 - 07:32 PM.

Cultist

Cultist

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 453 posts

D&D - Races Of Renown - Bastards And Bloodlines - A Guidebook To Halfbreeds

That book covers most bizarre things you may find in RPGs about weird races and species. At second part of the book they go full retard with half-beholders and stuff but first part is quite reasonable...to some point...if you learn to ignore zoophilia remarks.

Edited by Cultist, 01 July 2013 - 09:14 PM.

Eiphel

Eiphel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Connotations are exactly what we want in a name, at least connotations of things that hold for all characters. This is what I was going for with "Godscarred": The Goldikes are the result of a god tampering with a soul for whatever reason, and their physical differences are a manifestation of this tampering. I imagine that most godlikes, one way or another, struggle to deal with the consequences of this. Some can handle their scars and come out stronger for them, others can't and are destroyed by them.

'Avoid any specific connotations which might not be true for the character.'

'Connotations are exactly what we want in a name, at least connotations of things that hold for all character.'

You manage to make agreeing with me sound remarkably like disagreeing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Godlike, race, subrace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users