Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Godlike subraces ?!

Godlike race subrace

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: godlikes (78 member(s) have cast votes)

What type of godlikes whoud you like to see (play) ?

1. Angelic inspired (Asimar) (45 votes [17.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.93%

2. Demonic inspired (47 votes [18.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.73%

3. Death Gods, Shinigami, reaper inspired (more dark ghost with death assosiation ones) (17 votes [6.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.77%

4. Animal/ nature/ plant inspired. (36 votes [14.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.34%

5. Mythical creatures inspirations (minotaur, centaur, tytan etc) (25 votes [9.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.96%

6. Inspired on elementals (fire genasi etc) (40 votes [15.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.94%

7. Other or not-dimensional/ other plane creatures (Githzerai) (19 votes [7.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.57%

8. Aliens, furrys, pokemons or other wierd stuff (5 votes [1.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.99%

9. other or don't have opinion (10 votes [3.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.98%

10. I don't want to see any kind of godlikes. (7 votes [2.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.79%

How many subraces og godlikes whoud you like to see ?

1. more then 10 (17 votes [21.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.79%

2. more then 6 bot not more then 10 (11 votes [14.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.10%

3. more then 2 but not more then 6. (36 votes [46.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

4. only 2 (6 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

5. only 1 (8 votes [10.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Eiphel

Eiphel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They don't have their own culture, their own towns, or any of that stuff.  A Human "Godlike" probably is gonna live with other Humans.  In reality "Godlikes" are just normal races that look weird because they have like bright green hair, or glowing red eyes, or golden skin, etc etc maybe the "soul powah" of the world has effected them a bit more deeply?

This is a bit of a jump in logic - Since even in the real world where everyone is human, we have subcultures and subcultural spaces. Punks, goths, gay villages, gentlemen's clubs, et cetera. Cultures can spring up around all kinds of facets, physical, social or otherwise. I think it would be pretty unrealistic if the godlikes didn't have any kind of culture of their own.

• Tale likes this

Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1328 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

This is a bit of a jump in logic - Since even in the real world where everyone is human, we have subcultures and subcultural spaces. Punks, goths, gay villages, gentlemen's clubs, et cetera. Cultures can spring up around all kinds of facets, physical, social or otherwise. I think it would be pretty unrealistic if the godlikes didn't have any kind of culture of their own.

that depends on wether there's something that creates a feeling of unity between Godlikes or not. Manic-depressives are a group, but they don't have their own culture.

Eiphel

Eiphel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

that depends on wether there's something that creates a feeling of unity between Godlikes or not. Manic-depressives are a group, but they don't have their own culture.

http://www.bipolaruk.org.uk/

Amongst others. (I would know.) And persecution or being seen as different is one of the biggest catalysts for creating unity in a group.

Edited by Eiphel, 27 June 2013 - 01:26 PM.

Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1328 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

http://www.bipolaruk.org.uk/

Amongst others. (I would know.) And persecution or being seen as different is one of the biggest catalysts for creating unity in a group.

I wouldn't exactly call that a subculture?

And yes persecution would be a possible cause for them to band together. But AFAIK we haven't heard anything about the standing of the Godlike yet. They may even be revered. And one other thing, while they may even be summarily persecuted, the differences of their heritage may prevent them from banding together; i.e. they may be the offspring of very different gods.

Sheikh

Sheikh

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Godlikes are a race, or at least a subrace, which amonst other things means they are more often on the same wavelength when communicating and more often share interests and have similar views on the same things. At least thats the way it works in real life in terms of ethnoracial background of people.

So I dont see any reason for them not to have subcultures. But a subculture also means a culture has developed from those things they share more commonly than with the rest of the populace of the same basic race. Discrimination against a certain subrace could stop that from happening, so perhaps not all subraces would have a subculture.

Eiphel

Eiphel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Godlikes are a race, or at least a subrace, which amonst other things means they are more often on the same wavelength when communicating and more often share interests and have similar views on the same things. At least thats the way it works in real life in terms of ethnoracial background of people.

So I dont see any reason for them not to have subcultures. But a subculture also means a culture has developed from those things they share more commonly than with the rest of the populace of the same basic race. Discrimination against a certain subrace could stop that from happening, so perhaps not all subraces would have a subculture.

I'll be particularly interested to see how a godlike wild Orlan gets treated by various different groups. That's gotta be an interesting one to play.

Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1328 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

In real life, people (/animals) mate. I don't think that's how the Godlike procreate; that's one less compelling reason for them to mingle with each other. I can't remember if there were any specifics given on this in the updates though so I may be wrong.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I will say it one more time... nothing released about Godlikes so far (unless they released something and I somehow missed it) suggests Godlikes are actually related to gods at all.  People just "think" they are.

Methinks you might've missed le following, from Update #43:

The godlike are the children of humanoids (most often humans) who have been "blessed" (or cursed, depending on personal or social view) with the physical manifestation of a divine spark granted by the gods. Godlike manifest their divine heritage in a variety of ways: wings, horns, strange birthmarks, talons, odd eyes - but they always manifest it somehow.

No worries. It happens. You are no less awesome, ^_^

And now you know. And knowing is half the battle. NOW, if we could just get our hands on some blue-and-red laser bullets, we'd have the other half covered.

In a related note, even if they aren't actually a "subrace," per se, in the actual race selection at character creation, you've got to have SOME control over what kind of "spark" manifestation your character gets, as a godlike. Well, you don't have to, but I'm pretty sure Josh said something about this almost obvious thing, and how something like that wouldn't be randomly applied to your character. (I can try to find that quote, since I'm not 100% certain without it as evidence).

But, the point being that, as long as you can be more than 1 type of godlike (a whatever-race-you-were-plus-horns, or a whatever-race-you-were-plus-fiery eyes, etc.), and you can pick that, AND race, then the spark manifestation can be at least logistically thought of as a "subrace," with your race being "Orlan Godlike" or whatever. Technically, it would be a sub-sub-race, since it's a subset of a variant of an existing race, heh. But... anywho.

I'm fairly certain that the "subrace" aspect most people are referring to is that aspect. Like I said, it might not actually be a "sub-sub-race" option in character creation. It might just be a different set of aesthetic options when "Godlike" is selected. *shrug*. Either way, it's still kind of a subset within "Godlike." "What kind of Godlike?," to put it simply.

Edited by Lephys, 27 June 2013 - 02:53 PM.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I will say it one more time... nothing released about Godlikes so far (unless they released something and I somehow missed it) suggests Godlikes are actually related to gods at all.  People just "think" they are.

Methinks you might've missed le following, from Update #43:

The godlike are the children of humanoids (most often humans) who have been "blessed" (or cursed, depending on personal or social view) with the physical manifestation of a divine spark granted by the gods. Godlike manifest their divine heritage in a variety of ways: wings, horns, strange birthmarks, talons, odd eyes - but they always manifest it somehow.

You make a good argument, but don't forget that in PE there are factions that actually debate if the gods are gods at all and they pretty much take no direct hand in anything.  It is possible what the layman of the Dyrwood calls a "god" is just a really powerful spiritual being.

We shall see!

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

You make a good argument, but don't forget that in PE there are factions that actually debate if the gods are gods at all and they pretty much take no direct hand in anything.  It is possible what the layman of the Dyrwood calls a "god" is just a really powerful spiritual being.

We shall see!

Regardless of whether or not it's actually "officially" a god, it's still actually manifesting external "unnatural" forces upon a Godlike upon their birth, rather than that person simply looking funny and everyone simply alleging that they've been influenced in some manner by a god/powerful-being-who-isn't-actually-a-god.

Plus, "Really-Powerful-Spiritual-Being-Like" is a mouthful. 8)

Mr. Magniloquent

Mr. Magniloquent

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 672 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

If P:E takes a kind of Planescape stance where gods are reliant on faith, then I would like to see god-like creatures have features which represent the abstracted portfolios of these gods. If your soul has been molded/touched/influenced by the Lord of Famine, I'd like to see them have features of a person who might be starving. The same applies to any other domain. I'm not expecting something so ambitious, but I would prefer god-like races to be a bit more high concept than Elemental/Alignment influenced.

Greydragon

Greydragon

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 114 posts

Plague, venom/poison and pestilence would also be interesting.

Severe drawbacks but unusual and deadly powers that in adventuring would be very useful. Plus the various reactions to your appearance.

Plague godlike: "Are you well?" or "No one can enter this area, there's plague ... oh gods! How did you get out!?"

Poison godlike: "I wouldn't drink from that cup, I just had a sip ..." or poison tasting scenario leaves you unharmed, etc.

Pestilence godlike: Waitress screams upon seeing ****roaches scurry into your clothing. "What? They're born and raised in your kitchen."

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
A god-like touched by the god of Simplicity could simply be rendered as an 8-bit sprite. 8)

Micamo

Micamo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 312 posts
While planetouched are some of my favorite D&D races, I have to agree that Godlikes have yet to earn their place, as a concept. It's yet to be shown exactly what a godlike is or what being one means, or if godlikes existing at all is even appropriate given the setting's relationship between mortals and the divine.

Also, that name is just stupid. Godlike. Makes me think of those stupid quake announcer mods some TF2 servers use (M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!!!). I also keep accidentally mistyping it as "Goldike" and have to go back and correct myself.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Also, that name is just stupid. Godlike. Makes me think of those stupid quake announcer mods some TF2 servers use (M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!!!). I also keep accidentally mistyping it as "Goldike" and have to go back and correct myself.

I have to admit, that name makes me think of the same thing every time I say it, haha. That same announcer is in so many things now (or at least the exact same style of announcer), like DOTA/DOTA 2.

Anywho, while I don't think it's outright stupid, I don't disagree that there might be a better name, like "The Favored," or "godborn," or "deitite." Hehe. That last one's just silly. 8P... Hmmm... maybe "godkin"? Or something-kin... *ponders*

Eiphel

Eiphel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

'Godlike' also has the connotation of superiority. Even something like 'godtouched' might be preferable. Godlike being an actual word meaning 'on the level of a god' it doesn't really feel appropriate. Hopefully it'll be tweaked along the way.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
*snap*... I've got it! "Godlings"! 8D!

Micamo

Micamo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 312 posts
While we're throwing out names: Godscarred.

Scottfree6000

Scottfree6000

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

While planetouched are some of my favorite D&D races, I have to agree that Godlikes have yet to earn their place, as a concept. It's yet to be shown exactly what a godlike is or what being one means, or if godlikes existing at all is even appropriate given the setting's relationship between mortals and the divine.

How about "Godspawn".

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3021 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
The Exalted? Transcendents? Tainted(because it is believed that something leaked into their souls, causing them to manifest unnatural qualities)?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Godlike, race, subrace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users