Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Godlike subraces ?!

Godlike race subrace

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: godlikes (78 member(s) have cast votes)

What type of godlikes whoud you like to see (play) ?

1. Angelic inspired (Asimar) (45 votes [17.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.93%

2. Demonic inspired (47 votes [18.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.73%

3. Death Gods, Shinigami, reaper inspired (more dark ghost with death assosiation ones) (17 votes [6.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.77%

4. Animal/ nature/ plant inspired. (36 votes [14.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.34%

5. Mythical creatures inspirations (minotaur, centaur, tytan etc) (25 votes [9.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.96%

6. Inspired on elementals (fire genasi etc) (40 votes [15.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.94%

7. Other or not-dimensional/ other plane creatures (Githzerai) (19 votes [7.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.57%

8. Aliens, furrys, pokemons or other wierd stuff (5 votes [1.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.99%

9. other or don't have opinion (10 votes [3.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.98%

10. I don't want to see any kind of godlikes. (7 votes [2.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.79%

How many subraces og godlikes whoud you like to see ?

1. more then 10 (17 votes [21.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.79%

2. more then 6 bot not more then 10 (11 votes [14.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.10%

3. more then 2 but not more then 6. (36 votes [46.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

4. only 2 (6 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

5. only 1 (8 votes [10.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

Of all the races, the one that I'm least sure of wether it has earned its right in the game is the Godlike. So far, we had people who are partly gods, factions that like to flagellate themselves, souls everywhere, and colonialism thrown in for good measure. I'm still looking for the red thread here.

hahahahahahahaa

that has good .. so what ... if develeopers made a cows and chickens in game so what they need to ERN they place in game ?

Godlikes, elves, dwarwes, ogres, aumauamamuama race and other are in this game becouse obsidian discovered they whoud like to made them .. is there enything that gives them more rights to be in this game ?

Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1328 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
the point... you do not get it.

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

the point... you do not get it.

What a race that is officionaly confirmed or subraces that also are confirmed ?

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't really see an issue with the mere concept of godlike in the world of P:E. And I'm not really seeing enough specific information on them to decide one way or the other how quality the fully-fleshed-out race is.

For what it's worth, they did state that those elemental concepts (like, what... 12 updates back or so?) were most likely going to be more subdued before being complete. That's how you artistically brainstorm. You start with the first/best thing you can think of for "what would an elementally-infused person look like?" Then you keep refining it from there, using visual cues from what you've actually got down on paper.

So, I'm not trying to be rude, but I really think that drawing some kind of conclusion based on what little we have so far on the godlike is somewhat pointless. Asking for more info isn't, however. Nor is discussing what may and may not be feasible possibilities for the factors and specifics we do not yet know.

I just kind of feel like people are unwrapping a boxed gift, then looking at the box and saying "Hmm... this doesn't seem like a very interesting gift. It's a box." Except, you know... we can't open the box yet. 8P
  • Melhelix likes this

Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1328 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So, I'm not trying to be rude, but I really think that drawing some kind of conclusion based on what little we have so far on the godlike is somewhat pointless.

I'm still looking for the red thread here.

How exactly is that pointless?

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm... confused. I said drawing conclusions at this point is pointless. If you're not drawing conclusions at this point, then you're not pointless.

Also, I'm confused partially because I'm not familiar with the "red thread." o_o. Please enlighten me, if you would be so kind.

Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1328 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I can't quite see your problem. What I said is that I wonder how cohesive elements like Godlike, flagellants, soul powers and the "New World" theme will be. Obviously, like you realized, we are lacking information, and right now I'm a tad skeptical.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Methinks you are directing my words at an unintended target, good sir. I never pointed a finger at you, or cited any of your words. Being skeptical is perfectly valid, and is not drawing unnecessary conclusions. Skepticism is not a conclusion.

I take no beef with your postings here. I was referring to the posts in which conclusions (especially negative ones) were being drawn about the godlike, of whom we know very little thus far.

Also, I think I just figured out the "red thread" allusion. Like the thread they use in an investigation, to literally "tie" various things together (especially on a map of incidents)? Methinks I get it now.

Eiphel

Eiphel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It'll be quite hard to really judge the godlikes until we see what the actual impact of the gods themselves is upon the world. Personally I'm hoping for something more akin to Aasimar and Tieflings than Genasi. (Aasimar are one of my favourite PS races.)

Lychnidos

Lychnidos

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts

How would you guys feel about some apocalyptic/anarchistic cult/sect/heresy lead by Godlikes.

• .Leif. and Lephys like this

Tsuga C

Tsuga C

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm sorry but I'm not too knowledgeable about the specifics of this race; is there much appeal beyond the obvious egotistical reasons to play a "Godlike"?

Certainly, if the milieu actively allows for the recognition of the godlike as such and if faith is a key world-building ingredient in P:E. The character in question would be a living embodiment of their divine or otherworldly parent, subject to all kinds of scrutiny, expectations, and good- or ill-will depending on the nature of the parent and the opinion of said parent held by the people of that particular locale.

A godlike cleric or paladin would be a force to be reckoned with if they held true to their breeding and faith, able to inspire beneficence/admiration or viciousness/dread to a degree nigh unattainable by mere mortals; if not, then they'd be quite the conundrum for the locals and would be subject to all kinds of extra hassles by going against type. Think of the roleplaying possibilities of a tiefling attempting to rise above his base nature or an aasimar grown fell and trecherous--reactions will measure high on the Richter scale and drama makes for rewarding roleplaying.
  • .Leif. and Lephys like this

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

A godlike cleric or paladin would be a force to be reckoned with if they held true to their breeding and faith, able to inspire beneficence/admiration or viciousness/dread to a degree nigh unattainable by mere mortals; if not, then they'd be quite the conundrum for the locals and would be subject to all kinds of extra hassles by going against type. Think of the roleplaying possibilities of a tiefling attempting to rise above his base nature or an aasimar grown fell and trecherous--reactions will measure high on the Richter scale and drama makes for rewarding roleplaying.

Haha. I can just see that now:

"Hey, man, you're like... kind of a leafy, animal-y individual. You must really like Frendalus, the goddess of nature! 8D"

"No... nature SUCKS! *flips a table* I actually burn trees in my spare time, for sport, and I love all things synthetic! MUAHAHAHAHA!"

^_^

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

Haha. I can just see that now:

"Hey, man, you're like... kind of a leafy, animal-y individual. You must really like Frendalus, the goddess of nature! 8D"

"No... nature SUCKS! *flips a table* I actually burn trees in my spare time, for sport, and I love all things synthetic! MUAHAHAHAHA!"

^_^

Yeah but for real he can be angry on god of nature becouse he don't look like other people so .. it's quite possible ...

Like half-demon hunting demons with we seen 100 already .. so ...

.Leif.

.Leif.

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd really like to see at least eight subraces of Godlike. We've already seen the Godlike Woman who looks like she's Nature incarnate, so it'd be nice to see a Godlike who embodies Death and decay. Other opposing elements I'd like to see are Heat/Fire and Cold/Ice, Earth/Stone and Air/lightning, Light and Darkness. I don't know what a Magic Godlike would look like but it could be interesting. As would A soul-power based Godlike.

• Scottfree6000 likes this

Sheikh

Sheikh

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Im fine with godlikes if the traits that make them different are very subtle, usually psychological and almost never physical.

Of the ones listed I like the elemental types the most, perhaps they would have a sorceress esque affinity to magic (of certain types).

Eiphel

Eiphel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Im fine with godlikes if the traits that make them different are very subtle, usually psychological and almost never physical.

Of the ones listed I like the elemental types the most, perhaps they would have a sorceress esque affinity to magic (of certain types).

I find that quite an odd statement, because I totally agree with your first point, but the concept art for the elemental characters was the one I felt least fit that aesthetic.

Sannom

Sannom

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1562 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don't believe Sheick has seen those concepts.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Uhh..... y.hgwegg gs rhj..... no.

Obsidian has already been fairly clear on how the "Godlike" races will appear in game.  They can already be from any race in the game, Orlan, Human, Elf, etc so there is your subraces right there.  We don't need to start inventing subraces for "Godlikes", they aren't a race they are just mutant versions of races that already exist for lack of a better term.  They don't have their own culture, their own towns, or any of that stuff.  A Human "Godlike" probably is gonna live with other Humans.  In reality "Godlikes" are just normal races that look weird because they have like bright green hair, or glowing red eyes, or golden skin, etc etc maybe the "soul powah" of the world has effected them a bit more deeply?  But in reality they are no closer to the gods than any other generic Dwarf, they just look different and have slightly tweaked racial abilities/stats.

I will say it one more time... nothing released about Godlikes so far (unless they released something and I somehow missed it) suggests Godlikes are actually related to gods at all.  People just "think" they are.  Some societies may even consider them to be freaks of nature that need to be killed on sight.  They are not Aasimar who are people that have like a Solar as a parent... they are normal races that just look weird, both parents were from whatever race they are.  At least that is the way it has been implied from what I have seen.

Edited by Karkarov, 27 June 2013 - 05:54 AM.

NerdBoner

NerdBoner

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 463 posts

yeah, godlike is a subrace of each race, not a separate race unto itself. (so an Orlan player would be able to choose from 'hearth' 'feral' and 'godlike')

i'd wager that they will be a combo of tiefling/aasimar, without the inclination towards good or evil.

Scottfree6000

Scottfree6000

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

yeah, godlike is a subrace of each race, not a separate race unto itself. (so an Orlan player would be able to choose from 'hearth' 'feral' and 'godlike')

i'd wager that they will be a combo of tiefling/aasimar, without the inclination towards good or evil.

An Orlan with Horns looks good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Godlike, race, subrace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users