Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Nice, nice - keep them coming.

Also the Homeworld 3 up there ^ should probably be 2

Fixed. Freudian slip there :p Just a shame someone other than Relic now has the rights to the IP :(

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Hm, I have a few.

I literally haven't uninstalled Alpha Protocol since it first came out. - Although I haven't had a run through in about half a year.

Civ IV.

Sid Meier's Alpha Cenaturi.

VtM - Bloodlines.

Deus Ex - That's one that gets reinstalled, played through, taken off, x months down the line, put back on, uninstalled, wash, rince, repeat ad infinitum..

Kotor I & II keep turning up on my machine for some reason..

ME series I do keep puttering with..

Tron 2.0.  - Every now and then I just feel a need for that amusement.

NOLF 2.

Galactic Civilisations II.

AvP2 - Although that tends to be when a couple of friends all get in the same mood together and that calls for an old fashioned return to student LAN parties.. ;)

I used to replay the Privateer and Wing Commander games in ridiculous amounts. But haven't played any of those in a few years now.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

- I have nearly every Sierra adventure game. The only one I'm missing that I know of, is EcoQuest 2 talkie.

- Ditto for the Lucasfilm Games/Arts adventures.

- All of the Tsunami adventure games until they went FMV. I only have Silent Steel of the FMV games.

- The Les Manley/Altered Destiny Accolade adventure games. Those ones I haven't played forever though, but man, back in the day.

- Numbered Fallout games, and NV

- I've played Ultima 4 I don't know how many times. More than the others combined, I think.

- The D&D Forgotten Realms games. Curse of the Azure Bonds leads that list.

- Darksun SL & WotR - moreso than even Curse.

- NCAA Football 10 - I can't get through a season of Madden anymore, but I've got more seasons logged on that game than any other.

- BioWare games probably have the greatest percentage of any game company that I've beat many times over. Obsidian is now pretty close to that.

Gotta go.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

By amount of playing time:

Hearts of Iron 2 (including all expansions, mods and so on)

Unreal Tournament

Civilization 2

Arcanum - easily the most replayable RPG I know of

There are of course lots of other games I enjoy immensely, but I never ended up replaying them as much.

A possible future contender for this list is CK2 :)

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Hmm, too many really to list I think.  However, some of the bigger ones

Warcraft II

Diablo and Diablo II

Baldurs Gate II

Icewind Dale

StarCraft

X-Wing Alliance

Battlefield 1942

Unreal Tournament 2004

Dawn of War

Sins of a Solar Empire

Freelancer

Neverwinter Nights

Birth of the Federation

Starfleet Command

Starfleet Command Orion Pirates

Act of War

Star Wars Star Fighter

SimCity 3

SimCity 4

Age of Empires

Conquest Frontier Wars

Starwars KoToR I and II

More recently

Mass Effect (entire series)

Dragon Age Origins

Alpha Protocol

Tropico 3 and 4

Torchlight I and II

StarCraft II

If you include Consoles...a few pop up

Lunar series

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross

Final Fantasy IV-VII, IX, and X

White Knight Chronicles (I and II)

BG: Dark Alliance I

Champions of Norrath

Justice League Heroes

X-Men Legends I and II

Marvel Ultimate Alliance I and II

Dust to Daytona (what may be the greatest console racing game ever...IMO).

Gran Turisimo (entire series actually)

COD

Can't think of all that many really. Privateer, Ultima 7/8, HoMM3, maybe MOO2. Even then it's usually not for extended stints, a few days is enough to satisfy the itch. I did spend almost $100 on a new joystick for Privateer as recently as 2011 so I guess that takes the cake. Civ4 is probably too recent to say I "go back" to it.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• Baldur's Gate 2 (around 50 times :wub: )

Planescape:Torment ( 1 every year)

Icewind Dale ( 1 every year)

Icewind Dale 2 ( 1 every year)

Baldur's Gate ( 1 every 2 years)

Fallout 2 (5 times)

Fallout ( 3 times)

Sacrifice (10 times)

Warcraft 3 (3 times)

It'll be interesting to see what the "most played games on the Obs forum are"... I'll make a list later out of all the submissions here and make a ranking of those that show up the most

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see what the "most played games on the Obs forum are"... I'll make a list later out of all the submissions here and make a ranking of those that show up the most

:aiee:  Now i feel bad that none of my most played games are an Obsidian product. Well, maybe Black Isle counts.

Edited by Malekith

I actually really struggle to replay games ...or complete them even. I've got a big problem. The amount of times I've started and restarted Dragon Age: Origins must number in the hundreds. I've yet to complete it.

As it stands, the most played games by Obsidianites are (number of occurrences in brackets):

Baldur's Gate II (10)

Fallout 2 (8.)

Alpha Centauri (5)

Fallout (6)

Arcanum (5)

Civilization II (4)

Civilization IV (4)

Alpha Protocol (4)

Dawn of War (4)

Freelancer (4)

Unreal Tournament (4)

Homeworld (3)

Civilization III (3)

Deus Ex (3)

Icewind Dale (3)

Icewind Dale (3)

Jagged Alliance 2 (3)

Mass Effect 2 (3)

Planescape Torment (3)

Thief 2 (3)

VtM Bloodlines (3)

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Overwhelmingly RPG and strategy, with a single FPS (really surprised to see it was my favorite), 2 stealth/FPS (Thief 2, Deus Ex) and one simulation (Freelancer).

The most played RTS are Homeworld and Dawn of War. 

The most played TB strategy is the Civ series, along with Alpha Centauri. The votes for the Total War series were spread out, but they're probably the second most played.

• Like 1

I don't do it all that often, but I'll replay Grim Fandango or Blade Runner now and then. The Civ games & SMAC I do play more often, although Civ 2 not as much anymore as I guess I've become used to the changes in Civ 4 (also can't find my CD for it..hm). A general list of others

Supreme Commander

Arma 2

CMI

Rebellion

Fallout 2

Deus Ex

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In order of amount of time sunk into said game:

Neverwinter Nights (vast majority of the time spent in HotU and user made mods)

X3: Reunion

X3: Terran Conflict

Gran Turismo

Twisted Metal 2

Jet Moto 

ZAngband

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (vast majority of the time spent in the Shivering Isles)

Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

Final Fantasy 6

Chrono Trigger

Starflight 2

Gradius

R-Type

Goldeneye

Planescape: Torment

Legend of Zelda

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

GTA: San Andreas

Blaster Master

Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

These are the games I find myself revisiting again and again, even today:

Heroes of Might & Magic III

Medieval: Total War [the original, not the crappy sequel]

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

Panzer General II

Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares

Lords of the Realm II

Europa Universalis II

Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings

That's a lot of II's...

I would list some multiplayer FPS and strategy games as well, but even though i've sunk tens of thousands of hours into them [literally], I think they're too dependent on the online communities at the time to be something that I could play again and again until I die. Once that online community disappears, the game loses its appeal and you're left only with nostalgia.

man, either I'm getting old or what, but the only game I keep going back to is Fallout 2. and sometimes New Vegas. everything else is a one-playthrough deal for me.

hell, with most games I don't even bother to get to the end. still have to beat BG, MOTB and IWD 2, and I don't think I ever will...

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Age of Empires II: The Conquerors

Audiosurf

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Binding of Isaac

Donkey Kong Country 2

Half-Life series

Medieval 2: Total War

Planescape: Torment

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

- Unreal Tournament 1999, played it daily for 4 years, played it least twice a month in the last 10 years. 

- Thief Dark project

- Thief The Metal Age

- Baldur's Gate 2 

- Icewind Dale 2

- Mass Effect 2

- Mass Effect 3

- Gran Turismo 1-5

- Skyrim

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

[ ... ] everything else is a one-playthrough deal for me.

hell, with most games I don't even bother to get to the end. still have to beat BG, MOTB and IWD 2, and I don't think I ever will...

I'm getting that way more and more often. Sometimes I may want to replay/finish a game, or at least think I do - I may even load it and stare at a start screen do the tutorial bit for a couple minutes - but it just never ... quite happens.

I'm still waiting for the perfect cat/pet/animal/non-human Sim, something more interesting, with more purpose/concept than, say, "ZooTycoon." That's not what I want. Oh those lost hopes for Spore...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sometimes I may want to replay/finish a game, or at least think I do - I may even load it and stare at a start screen do the tutorial bit for a couple minutes - but it just never ... quite happens.

exactly.

these days I keep noticing how I value shorter games that don't require weeks of dedication to beat. one weekend every couple of months is the longest I can endure before I lose interest in a game

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Sometimes I may want to replay/finish a game, or at least think I do - I may even load it and stare at a start screen do the tutorial bit for a couple minutes - but it just never ... quite happens.

exactly.

these days I keep noticing how I value shorter games that don't require weeks of dedication to beat. one weekend every couple of months is the longest I can endure before I lose interest in a game

Pretty similar for me.  I rarely replay games now-a-days.  I mean, if you want me to list some of my all time favourites I can do that, but the only game types I'm really interested in revisiting today are relatively modern strategy games.  So Civ, CK2, EU3.  I remember most of my gaming experiences, so replaying other types of games isn't as interesting since I'm already familiar with the game.

Rather than provide a list, maybe I can try to list the themes and values that make me obsess over a game.

All of the games I love have character and soul. I feel like the person who designed it knew me and what I liked. This is the 'X' factor that defies forensic examination, what some cultures call sympatico.

The vast majority of these games have great art direction. Not necessarily eye-candy, but certainly a style of its own that is distinct and easy to look at over long periods.

Music and sound. Easily the Cinderella of gaming, but one of the most important. Where would IceWind Dale be without the Kuldahar theme? Or Baldur's Gate without that absurdly bombastic but cool drum-laden homage to Conan? Or the VO from Company of Heroes, with your squads emoting pathos and humour in equal measure?

Gameplay that equally rewards but punishes is important. Games that are a b1tch to master, but are bountiful in pleasure once you start to learn. JA2 and XCom fall into this category. Games that aren't afraid to say 'learn me.'

Games with depth that isn't obviously apparent, the way that diplomatic units have multiple synergies in the Total War series for example, things that reveal themselves the more you delve.

Games that allow you to do cool stuff *the way you want* are also likely to make me obsessive.

Are there other factors? Sure. But having gamed for most of my life maybe only a dozen titles hit all of these sweet spots for me. Perhaps just under a quarter of them came from, or in close consultation with, the folks who work at Obsidian, one of the reasons I'm here.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG