Hard bind keys to specific characters abilities

One thing I never really made use of in IE games, but made great use of in MMOs, was keybinding specific abilities. The problem I find with binding abilities in Baldur's Gate is that the effect of each key changes depending on which character is selected at that point in time. This prevents me from developing muscle memory as I can't depend on xyz happening when I hit specific keys. This makes it inefficient for me to use them since I have to check what the effect is before I hit it which means I might as well just click the ability instead.

What I'd like in PE is the ability to hard bind a key/slot to always use the same ability for a specific character when pressed, regardless of which character is currently selected. For example I would like to have the ability to make the right most slot always show the icon for Magic Missile to be cast by Edwin and for it to always cast it when I hit the corresponding key.

This means that if I want Edwin to cast Magic Missile that it only requires one key press and one click to achieve; rather than having to select Edwin, select the spell (this might take as many as three clicks itself) and then select the target I only have to hit the key and then select the target. This will make the most often used abilities more efficient to cast.

Edited by Kore
  • Like 3

My knee almost jerked. Good thing I read your post before that happened.

This is a good idea.

I also think we should have super restrictive DRM, always online requirement and automatically posting our gameplay to facebook. 

On a serious note, I'm not sure what you thought I was referring to :)

Yeah. I think the hotbars should be able to have buttons for all characters, as well, all together. So, if I click "Magic Missile" on the main hotbar, my Wizard casts it (or whomever's ability list I was in when I made that button), whereas when I click "Whirlwind Strike," my Warrior uses it.

Basically, what you said, only carried into the clickable interface as well.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I like your idea but just to throw this out there...

In BG and the other IE games you just had to plan ahead.  Had 3 characters with heal pots?  Just put them all in slot one.  Had multiple mages with magic missle?  Bind them all to slot 3.  Etc etc.

Either way like I said nice idea.

I'm not sure this is a good idea. you have less buttons for each character. If you have many active abillities, you won't have enough buttons/keys for all characters if you make them global.Maybe there could be global buttons/keys and buttons/keys that change if you change the character. If you make two button type it must be easy to see what button/ key is a global or a character button/key.

• Like 1

I'm not sure this is a good idea. you have less buttons for each character. If you have many active abillities, you won't have enough buttons/keys for all characters if you make them global.Maybe there could be global buttons/keys and buttons/keys that change if you change the character. If you make two button type it must be easy to see what button/ key is a global or a character button/key.

I'd like the flexibility to choose whether a key is a global bind or bound only when a certain character is selected. I agree that what you're asking for is important.