UI Style  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Preferred UI Style?

• Large and Stylized (BG, IWD)
    • Minimalist and Transparent (NWN2)
    • Something else (explain)
    • I don't have a preference, I just wanted to click a poll option

I am open minded to the style, but I'm more interested in usability and functionality before aesthetic choices even though I'm a fan of ui skins. I really want the ui to blend into the environment and assist me as I play. I don't want to be distracted by it, nor do I want to have to try and click on tiny icons or buttons to navigate. I'm a fan of having space to breath.   I also like to stay engaged while playing and if I have to pause I don't want to have to keep selecting from one side of the screen to the other a dozen times a minute. I would prefer minimal movement from my characters and their skills. I might even prefer a ui more similar to ToEE to BG and IWD series, however not to say I hated them, I just hated having to stop and cycle through a dozen menus just to get a skill to cast magic for example. I liked some aspects of the ui such as picking custom portraits.

stylized yes, large no. it should have all we need with a nice artistic appearance, but it should not cover more of the screen than what is necessary.

using something that could be considered technicaly obsolete just for the nostalgia factor would just be a negative point in the gameplay. a modern strategy for example, would have rally points, one click waypoint setup for the units, formations, aggressive/passive movement orders, building queues and so on. if you made a strategy with none of that, like the mid 90's games were for technical limitations of the time, would it be considered a great old school game or a pain to play (even from older gamers)? i was playing tiberian sun a few days ago.. for it's time it was probably a great game and is still fun to play, but the limitations on all counts were obvious... even compared to it's almost contemporary red alert 2

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Morgulon, that is stunning, wonderful work!

I love what you've done with the portraits, it give sthe UI a very organic feel to it.

I've got to agree with some of the previous posters, those who laud the older UIs (BG, IWD, PS:T) over the newer ones (NWN2) are probably suffering from nostalgia, as great as the games were, the UI was clunky. Beautiful but clunky.

What I'd like to see is the fluidity of the NWN2 UI (especially the quick cast menu) but in the style of BG2.

Customisability is nice but isn't massively important to me for a CRPG. Keyboard shortcuts ARE important to me, preferably ones I can remap myself but failing that, well thought-out ones that I don't need to would be fine by me!

I'm replaying NWN2 right now and i still find the UI an abomination. Even DA:O has a better UI, and that is not a compliment.

When i replayed BG2 last summer the UI was perfect. It's not nostalgia. PS:T is my favorite RPG of all time, i replay it every couple of years, and i will be the first to say that it's UI is terrible. But the rest of the IE games nailed it. (IWD2 in a lesser exctent)

Keyboard shortcuts ARE important to me, preferably ones I can remap myself

I agree with that, but it should be an option. The UI should be designed to be completely mouse-centric. Then you add all the keybinds on top of that if you want. There are many people who don't like to use the keyboard when they play a game.

Edited by Malekith

YEoKfYv.jpg

Hey guys! Sorry that I post my UI all over again, but the latest comments or likes mostly refered to my first version. THIS is my second and last Version. I tried to involve most of the comments in the other tread. Thank you so far. It seemed that I could inspire some of you.

while it's quite nice, i would make some changes to use the empty space on the left. that would be to put the buttons for the skills and spells there (1 button per spell level). pressing one of the buttons would open up a list of available  choices above it (ie pressing the 3rd level spell button you would get a list with the lv3 spells you can cast)

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

• 3 months later...

I wrote about UI in other thread but...

UI in NWN 2 is a catastrophe in comparison to UI in NWN1, it was holding me back from playing NWN 2 until this year, almost 7 years...,

Best solution is something similar to BG or IWD mainly because of graphic design, UI form NWN won't blend in PE but there are many good ideas in it worth considering. The UI should be minimalistic, well placed in the whole graphic concept of the game. In the other hand UI in BG and IWD always felt to me a little bit to  heavy.  I'm really waiting for some good game-play for PE.

I'll put in my 2 cents...

I'd prefer no UI at all. (Just hear me out...!)

When it's just your party wandering around the map, there's no reason to have any UI taking away from the splendor of the map. Each member of your party is going to have a coloured circle underneath them, so this could easily be utilizied to represent that characters health. (Bright green for full health, to dark red for nearly dead). Effects such as some buffs or curses, can be represented by the animation. (Glowing halo above the characters head for "Holy Aid" type effect, or occasional hic-ups for drunkeness or weird curse effects). When the player wishes to cast a spell or  use an item they can right-click their mouse and a UI box will appear with various spells, abilities, items that the player can utilize. (Yes, this is very much like Planescape. However, I think that the idea can be greatly improved upon from PT's implementation). As a keyboard is going to be utilized, spells and abilities can be hotkeyed to avoid the player having to pause the action everytime they want to cast a spell.

This is how I would prefer my UI to look like. This isn't for character sheet or inventory however, those would of couse require their own dedicated screens.

That said, I know that many enjoy having a dedicated bar with more information, and more detailed information, at a glance without having to click through another menu. (Not too mention having a snazy images of their parties portraits). And I fully support that as well. But I think that it should be optional.

Removing as much, or all in this case, of the static UI is also important as many will be playing the game on their TV's rather than on their computer monitors. While burn-in isn't nearly the problem as it was in the past (nor as problematic), it's still an issue that can crop up when playing a game like this that most of us will spend a couple to several hours during a play session.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd want something similar to Icewind Dale II, or Planescape: Torment. I did quite like the mock up that Obsidian presented us, but why not have the choice between something like large and stylized UI of  Baldur's Gate and the more minimalistic, smaller look that Icewind Dale II retains? 

Personally, I'm okay with either. But the ability to choose or customize would be much appreciated.

Thanks for making a poll, Keyrock! :)

And although my firm opinion is that there's room for both of the first points in the poll in PE, I went ahead and voted for the NWN2 alternative, obviously updated for 2014.

Zed: The spirituality of those wonderful games isn't exactly residing in those clunky UIs. It's just your nostalgia getting the better of you.

as many will be playing the game on their TV's rather than on their computer monitors.

:x

Hate to tell you Mal but I am typing this very sentence from a TV screen.  The day of "monitors" being clearly better is long since dead.  Sure I am limited to 1080p, but guess what? Almost every game and or website is designed around 1080p to begin with.

The day of "monitors" being clearly better is long since dead.

Not from an input lag or refresh rate perspective.

TVs only fake refresh rates to interpret 1080i video properly (only half the picture show each frame).

Edited by Sensuki

TVs only fake refresh rates to interpret 1080i video properly (only half the picture show each frame).

Actually, there is little difference between an LCD monitor and an LCD TV.  1080i existed for scanning televisions that drew an image from the top down - the interlacing helped keep the image from tearing, and was better than progressive scan for such TVs - but an LCD TV can display 1080p properly, as it can draw an entire frame at once.

Input lag however is a notorious concern of high-def TVs.

Input lag however is a notorious concern of high-def TVs.

..... You guys should know I have gamed on this thing for over 4 years and had absolutely no issues.  That aside we are also talking about a top down perspective real time with pause single player RPG.  I don't think refresh rate is going to be a big issue.... just sayin.

Edited by Karkarov

we are also talking about a top down perspective real time with pause single player RPG.  I don't think refresh rate is going to be a big issue.... just sayin.

Can't argue with you there.  I did set up my pc to a 1080p 53" TV once though, and couldn't stand to read text on it - not because of the text size, but because of the screen's pixel density.  I'm not arguing against TVs, but for myself I don't think I could read through PE without sitting in front of a proper moniter. :blush:

Actually, I forgot what this thread was about.  UI!  Flash-thought: isometric camera, the perspective on the lower end of the screen will be notably more limited than the top.  Please don't put too much UI there, I'd like to see on all sides of my party.

Zed: The spirituality of those wonderful games isn't exactly residing in those clunky UIs. It's just your nostalgia getting the better of you.

I keep repeating myself on this point a lot but: I only played BG+IWD for the first time a couple of years ago - loved them (BG more so but the artwork in IWD was great) and loved the UI too (BG2 more than BG1).  I honestly think the stylized nature added to the atmosphere of the game.  No nostalgia involved.

I can deal with the NWN / NWN2 UIs but I find having semi-transparent windows floating over half the game-screen to be both ugly and immersion breaking.  (Yeah, I used that term - it's a real thing).

Having said that - I wouldn't mind if it was minimal UI but still stylized.

I imagine you'll be able to hide the UI and use keyboard-shortcuts for it too though so if you don't want the UI cluttering the screen - ctrl-H for the win ;)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Still hate the mockup from the previous page, even with the alterations done to it. Floating circle portraits? Damn... what a waste. Why not use the BG2 system. Looks better, has more space for portraits, takes less space from view, AND doesn't float. Win-win-win-win!

As you might have gotten from above I also dislike floating stuff, and prefer BG style. And with that said NOT IWD2. NOT IWD2!!! That was a horrible abomination of a HUD if I ever saw one. Taking half the screen for that, nope, bad idea, bad bad!

As stated in a few other threads having a bottom bar and right (or left, you could simply swap it in preferences, or on the fly even) fixed would be my preference.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Still hate the mockup from the previous page, even with the alterations done to it. Floating circle portraits? Damn... what a waste. Why not use the BG2 system. Looks better, has more space for portraits, takes less space from view, AND doesn't float. Win-win-win-win!

You realize that to support all resolutions, pretty much every UI will have to incorporate either floating something or wasted space in the form of dragged interface.

As stated in a few other threads having a bottom bar and right (or left, you could simply swap it in preferences, or on the fly even) fixed would be my preference.

This is the reason why people like floating interfaces, otherwise this would mean designing at least 2 interfaces.

prefer BG style. And with that said NOT IWD2. NOT IWD2!!! That was a horrible abomination of a HUD if I ever saw one. Taking half the screen for that, nope, bad idea, bad bad!

Can you be more specific, because it fits the Big and stylized option perfectly.(p.s. the Poll choices are ridicules, why can't I have functional and stylized?!)

I don't know how spell books will work in PE with the grimoire, but if its planed like in BG, I hope theydrop the priest/arcane spell book. Just have one spellbook and if a person have access to more than one magic school add bookmarks.

YEoKfYv.jpg

Hey guys! Sorry that I post my UI all over again, but the latest comments or likes mostly refered to my first version. THIS is my second and last Version. I tried to involve most of the comments in the other tread. Thank you so far. It seemed that I could inspire some of you.

Couple of notes:

1. The text log should be in one of the corners, it should also have button to expand upwards, so you can review/follow it more easily.

2. The icons are little bit too small, you have the space so at least 50% increase in size is due. This way I wont have to strain myself and you'll be able to add additional indicators. For example how many uses you got left.

3. The Icon seems cramped up and lack space for expansion, maybe move them to the center? this way you can expand them with additional quick access bar/s.

Attempt #2 & 3

bLxN5EQ.jpg

QDlKZzd.jpg

To be honest I prefer the element placement in the original Obsidian mock up.

5r8ml23.jpg

This is from the original thread. It is not pretty, but IMO the most functional thing I seen so far. Though it might create some other issues, since I suspect that Obsidian is planing its interface on the premise of bottom hud. If you move the char portraits to the left, it will cause issues with encounters screen(selecting the active char). Edited by Mor

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that. I am more objected to the half-circle design compared to BG's flat character portraits, wasting space AND looking more ugly to boot (IMO).

Not really, if the side-interface is, say 100% length, 5% width, the bottom bar needs to be 95% width, 5% length, and it will just move up if the side-interface is on the left. All it needs is those 2 bars, not 2 seperate interfaces, no additional assets needed for left or right, just the same at a different location.

I think I got it covered in another thread in detail, and rather not go too detailed again, but the gist is; Combat log too big and not being able to be turned off or down, looking generally ugly, icons and portraits being smaller than the BG interfaces.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Can you be more specific, because it fits the Big and stylized option perfectly.(p.s. the Poll choices are ridicules, why can't I have functional and stylized?!)

Because the guy who made the poll wants you to vote for BG2 style interface.

I also voted for a large and stylized UI and that may be due to nostalgia, but nostalgia is also a part of the reason why I backed P:E to begin with. More specifically nostalgia for the mood, atmosphere and a sense of being transported into a completely different world that I felt when I played the Baldur's Gate series (my all-time favorite games :) ). A large factor in this was the UI and more specifically the smaller details: the stone-like appearance of the console, the way the buttons looked like they were carved by hand and the intricate clock in the bottom corner. Not to mention the beautiful portraits. For me, the UI sets the tone for the game and therefore feels important to me.

I understand why the floating style UIs appeal to people. Aren't they popular in MMO style games (I haven't played any, so I apologize for my ignorance)? The fact that the player can customize how they interact with the game can be a big plus. Also, I am sure there are many benefits for this kind of UI in fully 3D games where you have to move the camera around a lot. I personally just don't like the aesthetic.

However, I wouldn't be horribly disappointed if the UI ends up not being as blocky and space-consuming as the ones in the BG series, as long as the general feel is preserved. If the dialogue box in update #62 or the UI mock up are any indication, I have nothing to fear. I especially like the wood grain and, well, everything about the dialogue box. Whoever you are UI artist, you did a great job! Maybe if there is enough time, and this is most likely wishful thinking, we could have the option of having either a more old school UI or a more customizable and floaty one. 

Edit - I also wanted to mention that the scripted interactions look very nice and present an elegant alternative to cut scenes. Secondly, I hope that we don't see a radial menu like the one in Torment. It's probably just me, but I just couldn't get used to how it worked in Planescape: Torment.

Edited by Boox