Update #54: Art Update - Work IS in Progress!

How about an IE-UI-graphics based on bone or cool metals and gems, almost like ancient jewellery?

Good idea if it is appropriate. The UI should be  integrated with the general theme of the game, but i prefer a more exotic material than wood or stone as well.

I wish to echo some sentiments already expressed, but also sympathise with Obsidian at how difficult it will be to efficiently implement a different UI from the one shown.

As many have mentioned: 16:9 is the standard (and will most likely be the standard for many years to come), please rather go with left and right side interfaces instead of the bottom one (or just allow us to customize the UI) to give us more screen real estate for the actual game world. Many people suggest merely going with an interface on the left side, but they forget about things like dialogue UI and also spells/abilities UI. I suggest that with two side interfaces you can have your heroes (and the options button, pause, inventory, etc.) on the left/right and the abilities/spells on the opposite side. This leaves the problem of the dialogue UI. The dialogue UI I believe should simply be hidden by default (so as to again give as much "real estate" space to the actual game world) and only appear when entering dialogue; the dialogue UI itself can be centred in the screen or appear at the bottom; the manner Fallout1&2 did it will work well here I believe.

Something else to consider is using the right click button on the mouse more in the game and implementing more detailed right click menus (i.e. as Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil used extensively); so for example you can have just a left side UI (with characters portraits) and in the game world you right click for spells/abilities; you can right click on the portrait for inventory or character sheet for example. So yeah, that’s another idea and one that I would have no problems with.

As for the look of the interface, I quite like it as it is now, but would add (as a few have done already) that greater emphasis should be placed on the portrait borders of the heroes (they are the stars of the show after all) and perhaps a bit more detail in the UI itself (for example BG2 had these "vine" things twisting around the borders of the UI, I loved that, it made the UI feel "organic" and really "worn" and part of the world in a way). I also would prefer a darker blue for that stamina/mana bar.

So yeah, that’s my opinion on the UI. I really appreciate you guys actually putting this out there for the community to discuss; this is what crowd-funding is all about: the developer and the fans/backers actually collaborating (to a limit of course) on the game. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

I like wooden textures, i just would want less decorations. Maybe one or two distinctive decorative elements. Sometimes too much space is taken by various decorations and UI grows too big ;)

Great to hear what everyone is up to and how that breaks down!

My feedback on the UI:

1) Modular & configurable. Let me make, say, the chat window disappear if I want, as well as anything else. Since there should be hotkeys for everything, let us turn every (or any) UI element off and keep the game playable like that.

2) Have the portraits along the SIDE of the screen (or at least have the option to do so). Having EVERYTHING all on the bottom seems too wasteful, and makes the screen seem squished -- too wide and squat, especially given that most people have widescreen monitors these days, unlike in the days of the IE games. More stuff along the SIDES -- and maybe allow the user to switch which side it's on?

3) Eliminate needless fillers, like the statues in the corners (unless those serve a game purpose?), and try to keep all buttons to one row along the bottom.

4) The aesthetic style looks great.

5) Minimal, minimal, minimal. We want to see as much environment & action as possible, as constantly as possible.

6) More updates!! :) Thanks!

• Like 1

Malekith: Bone and obsidian is such a brilliant idea! :D  Dry, greyish osseous material will compliment the dark gloss of obsidian just perfectly. Both bone and obsidian stands for eternity.

It will fit the game (and the company, no less) while still not just being some standard materials like stone and wood that fade into the game environments. Also, being a fan of necromancy in RPGs, I know I'd just love it. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The most annoying thing i hate in IE games' UI is spell selection...too many spells, too less slots, too many clicks
The best spell selection so far, I think nwn 2 does a good job..(not perfect) ,offer a small level-ordered spell box

Don't get me wrong..I hate the hotbar like DA2 (and DAO isn't perfect either)

DA2 just ruins the atmosphere, not because the minimal look, but the lack of aesthetic visual.

I like how witcher 1's UI look, simple yet artistic (but only that's for single character play-through only)

What I want to say is.. Does it necessary have to have a "box-shape" UI to feel like a old-school/IE/IWD2 feel UI?

I think there are still room for improvement..

• Like 3

While I'm personally not a fan of the old style UI, as it just feels like there's a lot of wasted screen space

There is, and it's something I've already talked to Adam and Kaz about. The statues, pillars, and space between the portraits can all be removed or minimized.

quote link

I like the general aesthetic a lot, but perhaps the portraits could be moved to a vertical bar on the right, BG-style. The widescreen resolution seems to beg for it (and gets very narrow because of the horizontal bar). This would also release space for more action/item quick buttons on the bottom horizontal bar.

The bone and obsidian idea above is very cool as well, if it could be done tastefully.

Edited by centurionofprix

Also, the option to turn the UI on/off, while keeping only the portraits on screen would be nice. It would allow players who use only the Hot-Keys to have a better look at the action without a cluttered UI.

I'm definitely all for a hotkey to turn the UI off completely, even if it gets rid of the portraits too,  An option in settings that would automatically switch the UI on when in combat mode, then off when not in combat mode would be awesome.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

At first I was taken back a little by the UI because it takes up so much of the vertical real estate. But I can see you went that way because of the need for a message box. Style-wise the UI bar looks very nice and solid. It kind of grows on you. Giving modders a means to apply different skins would be beneficial though.

I really enjoyed the concept art and the line drawing, plus the work descriptions were interesting. Good work!

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

@curryinahurry - I like those.  A "U" shaped UI definitely makes a lot more sense than a thick bar at the bottom on a 16:9 or 16:10 screen, which I'm assuming comprises the vast majority of potential players.  The only thing is, where does the message/dialogue box go?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I like the UI structure of Curryinahurry's 2nd version too, and I think the message box in this would go the bottom right, being rather wide and low, but obviously scalable.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Also, the option to turn the UI on/off, while keeping only the portraits on screen would be nice. It would allow players who use only the Hot-Keys to have a better look at the action without a cluttered UI.

I'm definitely all for a hotkey to turn the UI off completely, even if it gets rid of the portraits too,  An option in settings that would automatically switch the UI on when in combat mode, then off when not in combat mode would be awesome.

Well, BG had that so i don't see why P:E can't.

I am pretty sure all menus will be full screen and not a box that appears in the game world.

Hope so. I like the vertical bars in curryinahurry's version -a lot of space for quick buttons etc. in the horizontal bar- but the floating menus I'd prefer not to have in P:E.

fwiw

Edited by centurionofprix

I rather they just go with NWN1 and NWN2 style.  Less space used, less clutter, and easier to navigate.  Selecting spells and organizing items was less clunky in those game.

Just because this game is based on the infinity engine games doesn't mean it should keeps the outdated concepts from the games.  It's 2013, not 1998.  Of course, this is just my opinion.

Edited by bonarbill

Yea, menus, character sheets and minimaps certainly are something that hopefully be dealt with as tastefully as possible. I have no problem with them getting their own screens and such. Perhaps there can be a toggle or two for it.

While I really like the NWN2 interface, if they'd twist my arm and let me keep one thing, it would be the use of spells, skills and items on those movable, stretchable bars. No digging through the UI to get at them - everything I hold dear one click away, no fuss.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1