So, am I too early to ask these questions?

The biggest barrier to me fronting the money is that I'm unsure how this game is going to work.

Like...  Is this a D&D kind of game?  Are they making a new kind of... "system" like D&D?  

The FAQ is pretty blank when it comes to this - do you have any threads you could point me to regarding this stuff?

Thanks!

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

They're making - or attempting to make - a game that is in the mold of the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment), but without many of the annoying legacy issues those games had. They're not using straight-up D&D mechanics, because those don't ultimately translate all that well into computer games and also licensing fees, but they are using D&D's mechanics as an inspiration. That doesn't mean they're going to make an AD&D-2E-by-any-other-name copy of D&D. Depending on your point of view, which I cannot really discern from your short post, you'll be either happy or sad to note that a few D&D diehards have already made quite a stink on this board about how ripped-off they feel because of how far the mechanics seem - seem, mind you! - to stray from D&D mechanics.

As to how the moment-to-moment gameplay will work, definitive answers have been thin on the ground, mainly because all of that is still being, you know, defined. But the details we have learned have been viewed by most as very encouraging.

Does that answer your question?

What Ffordesoon said above. CRPG that is going for a BG 2 feel using a custom rule set similar to d&d rules in a proprietary game world. Writing and characterization would be closer to IWD and planescape: torment and NWN2.

You may want to look at the following link to get a feel for what they are going for:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/111526-project-eternity-social-round-up.html

The only real interaction I have with D&D is Neverwinter Nights 2.  I really enjoyed the ability to create a very nuanced character.  But the thing that always turned me off from D&D rule stuff is how you could unknowingly dump points into something worthless.  That if you didn't understand exactly how to build your character, you'd never get those Level 9 spells (or trying to create a viable Eldritch Knight).

Then I played Dragon Age: Origins and LOVED it - but the skills and leveling seemed so generic.

I'm just wondering how this game is going to play in comparison.

I'm just wondering how this game is going to play in comparison.

What I know about advancement in Project Eternity is that, each of the 11 classes will get a class specific ability at each level up and you can choose talents (feats in NWN2) every third level. We only know that there will be attributes but not what they will impact. the developers have said that they wanted to avoid trap skills/talents. I think it will be closer to NWN2 in terms of building your character but I also think it will be more forgiving for "wrong" character development.

Edited by Prometheus