Hunting scamper

Walsingham

I know that many people have an objection to hunting on the grounds that it isn't sporting. A bear is a mighty foe, but not if you have a rifle powerful enough to perforate a light armoured vehicle.

My question is therefore twofold:

1) Would it be acceptable to permit hunting of animals larger than men, if the men were armed with muscle-powered weapons shorter than their arm?

2) Would it be acceptable to permit hunting of smaller animals (foxes etc.) if the hounds were dachshunds?

[i attempted to post some adorable pictures of dachhunds, but the goddamn 'dachshund community' regard pictures of these animals as sacred or something, and won't link externally.]

[i am inclined to eat the next dachshund I see, with chilli relish, to even the score]

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

WRT hunting, I don't have a problem as long as the animal is "used" (eaten, fur used for something, etc...). I do have a problem with killing animals for pure sport like shooting a rhino or elephant just to mount the head on your wall. Also, no killing endangered stuff.

As to your question, power fists would be totally awesome but I would prefer gladiatorial mecha battles between humans. It doesn't have to be to the death, just until one mecha is incapacitated.

• Like 2

Dafuq do you mean with ''if the men were armed with muscle-powered weapons shorter than their arm?''?  You want people run around in the woods chasing red deer and beating them to death with batons? 

I know that many people have an objection to hunting on the grounds that it isn't sporting. A bear is a mighty foe, but not if you have a rifle powerful enough to perforate a light armoured vehicle.

What you seem to forget is that there is another reason why you DEFINTELY should use a powerful and as efficient as possible weapon when hunting - you don't want to wound the animal. Wounding animals happens even today with modern weaponry, as a result many of the shot animals die a horrible slow death from an infected wounds and starvation.

Now if you want hunters to use MUCH less efficient weaponry all you get is hundreds of wounded and suffering animals. 

Yes, there are bow hunters, those who are really skilled pros know what they're doing and they are good ethical hunters, but 90% of the average-Joe hunters don't have time nor are they interested in mastering a primitive difficult to operate weapon which provides for a more challenging or ''fair'' hunt. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Hunting is very common in South Africa, of course there are objections to it but it provides us with revenue and with meat during hunting season that we don't normally get. Because I love meat and I don't question where the meat comes from I am not a hypocrite and therefore I support legal hunting.

We have people that hunt with a Longbow or Crossbow and they consider this the purest form of hunting in the sense it provides the greatest challenge as you need to be much closer to the animal in order to kill it. I also know people who will track an animal for days and then use a crossbow to kill it. I admire this type of tenacity and courage

:)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm thinking Lions, plural, with spears. The Masai have been doing that for so long it's said lions have developed a genetically conditioned response to the way the Masai run.

You are a man when you spear one and make charm out of its incisors.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

If you can successfully kill a bear with your bare hands, then by all means go ahead.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Woldan, you should be well aware that un-necessary suffering isn't part of the anti-hunting codex.

In the UK they made bolt action single shots the only weapons usable for deer then made it illegal to aim for any part of the deer except the brain. But unfortunately only some sort of sniper expert could hit a deer's brain, and if you slightly miss you cause an infectable wound and the deer runs off and hides.. Of course you can't use dogs any more when hunting so you can't find the deer. Net result:  the deer dies slowly over the course of several days.

This discussion is an attempt to tinker with the dyanmics so anti-hunting people approve. Not making hunting more effective and efficient. Then I'd argue in favour of a rejigged Iron Dome slaved to mm wave radar and active IR, on the back of a pickup.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You can't find a cute dachshund picture ? Even without external links, save and repost ? Sheesh. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You can't find a cute dachshund picture ? Even without external links, save and repost ? Sheesh. :p

I wanted a majestic predatory type picture. And no.

-Elwood Blues

This discussion is an attempt to tinker with the dyanmics so anti-hunting people approve. Not making hunting more effective and efficient. Then I'd argue in favour of a rejigged Iron Dome slaved to mm wave radar and active IR, on the back of a pickup.

Forget it, those anti-hunters wont stop until hunting is outlawed, dodging them with alternate ways of hunting is for naught. I've talked to anti-hunter zealots before, they're so far away from reality and aloof you can't even reason with them.

By the way, the use of night vision scopes is allowed here in Austria which is really great, we have a big pig problem here.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

There's nothing wrong with regulated hunting. It brings a lot more money to the institutions that take care of animal populations than any green activism ever could. They in turn make sure the hunting grounds are always well stocked and that the animals breed at a good pace.

Anti hunting people just shift the discussion into the realm of ethics - which are a human concept and have no place in this discussion.

^Regarding the necessity of shooting deer in the head. That's utter idiocy. Firstly, it ruins the trophy. Secondly its harder to hit. You're more likely to graze the animal and make a mess. Even amateur hunters know that shooting for the heart is the safest bet. With a good hit the animal either collapses in place or runs a couple of dozen meters and falls down.

And you cant use the dogs either?

That's not even hunting anymore, that blatant sabotage.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I gave up firearm hunting when I discovered archery. To be honest my reasons were more practical that any sense of sporting fair play. Archery season is two months longer, you get two extra tags and some of the best hunting areas are primitive weapons only. Anderson Tully right near my house is an example. Gun season is only three weeks long, archery is three months. 

Plus I've never heard of a hunter being accidently shot with an arrow.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I had no idea wild boar were so freaking huge. Spearhunting those suckers must take some guts.

-Elwood Blues

So, wait, are you allowed to shoot them and turn them into bacon? Wild boar sausages are some of my favourite things ever.

-Elwood Blues

I believe in most states they are considered a nuisance. That means no season, no limit, no end to the bacon. But they don't taste like pork. I have found them to be a little gamey. Marinade is a must.

Plus as Hurlie pointed out, they are somewhat dangerous so I'd used the most expeditious weapon available to hunt them. Namely a large caliber rifle.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Frying pan. *spang*

Man I need to sleep. :)

-Elwood Blues

It would be nice to go biking on the trails in the area, and not have to bring a Swiss Army Knife along because after they got rid of the spring bear hunt, they started coming this way looking for food after their populations got too high again. Seeing one bear was one too many. They need to bring it back.

Responsible hunters know more about animal conservation than anyone else, because it is in their best interest to know good population control so that way they will always have something to hunt.

Poachers on the other hand; there is no use for them.

I (arguably) fish, I don't hunt.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

You just reminded me that I was wondering if a fire suppressant system (CO2 based) could be used to deny bits of your house very effectively. Not to mention being pretty sly at putting out house fires. You'd need oxygen masks, but again these would double up for fire safety. Any break in, just start shouting 'fire' and set the bastard off.

-Elwood Blues

I used to get coyotes here all the time when I first built this place. One night they knocked my grill over and made a hell of a racket. My dogs were going nuts. I eased my shotgun out the window and fired a round off in the air... didn't hear a peep out of them the rest of the night.

Anderson Tully has at least two good sized packs living in it. I still hear them from time to time but they have not paid a visit in a while. For a time they were a real pest though. I was considering shooting one or two of them to see if that would run them off. It is perfectly legal to do so in TN. Thankfully they lost interest  and it never came to that.

Thomas Sowell