Some people are driving rhinos to extinction because some idiots think their horns cure cancer

midnite rule

So it's gone beyond as a cure for impotence? That's marketing for ya.

• Like 1

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I heard game wardens have started injecting their horns with poison. Small enough doses to that it doesn't affect the animal. might be a good solution if you could ensure it was done to every animal the demand would go down to nothing.

Unfortunately this is not the case and this is just a rumor. It would be illegal to do this, albeit effective.

We have a huge problem in South Africa with Rhino poaching and this has become a very important  campaign for many people known colloquially as  "Save the Rhino". Already over 100 Rhino's have been killed this year. Several poachers have been killed and people arrested but the onslaught continues as there is demand from the East.

What is interesting is the demand isn't coming from China anymore but from Vietnam

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I wonder how long until someone posts that they don't believe in extinction.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't believe in extinction.

3 minutes.

I was expecting Fleweteliian(or whatever Christian Oby alt is calling himself these days) to be the one.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Already over 100 Rhino's have been killed this year."

Cry me a river. Millions of humans die every year. Make a post about THAT.

You don't see rhinos whining on the internet about all the humans dying.

P.S. the people who believe in the rhino horn thing be crazy.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Those fools! When the rhinoceros are gone we have no way to cure cancer!

But at least I won't have it anymore, muhahahaha!
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

@Volourn - the difference, in my mind at least, is that the human race is nowhere near any danger of extinction. Well, we might do something like invent the Matrix and have a problem one day, hardehar, or an asteroid might fall on us, but you know what I mean.

I've never minded the hunting of animals per se - I simply don't like the aspect of humanity that can't control itself to the point where what is coveted is no longer available to anyone, at all, forever more. Course, I have trouble eating just one piece of beef jerky at a time so it's not like I don't understand "I want" and self-control issues. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just wait until rhinos start harvesting human gentials to cure rhino cancer...

Normally your post would have annoyed me and you would have got the emotional response from me you wanted but this is a point that has been raised within South Africa so its worth discussing. Certain black South Africans have made comments like " White people care more about Rhino's than the poor people in South Africa who live in abject poverty" or you hear comments on Radio talk shows like " Save the Rhino is a white issue, why should black people care"

These comments are misplaced, fallacious and silly for a number of reasons that include

• Many black people do campaign to save the Rhinos
  • Rhinos are part of the legacy of our country, There really are limited numbers and every South African should care if they care about the world they want there children to live in
  • If we allow the Rhinos to be killed so a small number of poor people  can live for a few months with a better quality of life why don't we just make all our other big game animals get hunted to extinction. Lets wipe out the elephants, lions and other animals. So in other words where would you draw the line?
  • There is absolutely no reason a person  can't contribute money towards charities that support the poor and support  " Save the Rhino"
  • Finally we don't like foreign countries like Vietnam abusing our country. Its like colonialism all over again. An external country taking resources from us purely for  them own gain

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Isn't there a man in South Africa with a huge rhino breeding farm? He basically single-handedly tries to preserve the species.

No thankfully not :) , we have several dozen game reserves that have people breeding Rhinos. But some  game reserves due to there size would have hundreds more Rhino's than others

John Milton 

I must have missed the rhino enabled keyboard.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

NSFW - Pete and Dud discuss endangered animals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOZmDsiiXXk

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.