I guess it's time to do some community promotion: these are the monsters we conjured up! Use them!

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I just realised where I got the name of the Null monster I designed in that thread, sorry about that. That bloody woman looks like a very strong concept, be interested to hear the lore behind her once it's worked out.

Personally I don't mind if you gents release an update once every fortnight regularly, the anticipation is quite pleasant.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Any chance of giving us an idea of how many baddies are confirmed so far? Using words like "large" is subjective. That could mean a lot of things. What is an ideal amount of creatures for this game to you guys? Personally I'm hoping for at least 4 flavors of each type of beasty where it makes sense. So like a Kobald for example might have a brutish Kobald, a sorcerer type, a scout/ranger type, and maybe one who tosses grenades or make-shift aoe types of attacks. However I hope that they would still vary in size and possibly have a rank system like jewelry they use, or head dress for example and not just recolor them. Maybe one clan is more sneaky and assassin like, while another is more military and strategic in their tactics. 

good monster. more please. i also second the request to look at community ideas: some of them are actually pretty good.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Will there be alternate art versions of monsters that appear in groups? If I encounter a roving band of 5 goblins, will they all use the exact same model?

I know this can be incredibly time consuming, but it'd be nice to see some slight variety (a bald one, a grey haired one, one with long sleeves, one with short...)

Happy to see the return of classic monsters. I hope they, too, will have Glanfathan names in addition to their plain English ones! If the cean gula is a type of Banshee, I wouldn't mind seeing it called so in plain English, in addition to the Glanfathan name.

Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I think most of us (I included) sometimes take for granted how amazing it is that JES and Obsidian are giving us this much insight into the development process on a weekly bases (Let's all go grumble on the Bioware forums about how "phoned in" this week's update from the Dragon Age 3 development team was...oh wait). I understand that the P:E funding model places a higher onus on the developer to be open with backers, but, even then, I know of no other Kickstarter game where the developer has provided as much information at as frequent a rate as P:E. We should keep that in mind and not get too greedy.

I sense a growing feel of entitlement among certain readers... and it's not a healthy trend. But then again we get a certain proportion of ungracious grumblers in every update, so perhaps it's just the law of averages at work. :p

Entitlement? No. I'm not demanding anything outside of scope of what Obsidian has pledged to do. I'm just expressing my disappointment about the update, which has - objectively speaking - significantly less information than vast majority of others.

Ungracious? No. It lightens my (almost) every Wednesday morning, to read a P:E update during my breakfast and I've expressed my gratitude for the updates many times before. I am grateful for this one too, but that has no relevance to my disappointment about the amount of content in this particular update.

Grumbler? This week, yes. But I hope I'm not the only one, that would rather see a trend of a few grumblers every update, than a trend of sketchy updates. I consider that healthy.

EDIT:

This will be enough derailment from my side.

Edited by Jajo
  • Like 1

Wow, Full Control was very happy with your support of their game, Obsidian! And it was a really worthy shoutout because the numbers were very good yesterday! And so they decided to immortalize you in Jagged Alliance: Flashback! How cool is that? :)

Tribute Sector

As a thanks to our friends at Obsidian, we’ve decided to make a special sector in their honor. The 5000 backer sector will be an Obsidian mine, where a secret cult of scientist resides and are trying to develop a new formula to become immortal, called “Eternity”. We thank the community for coming up with these awesome suggestions :D As Jesper is still hard at work finishing the diorama the visualization of the sector will have to wait, but we’ll get it up as soon as possible and also come up with the 5500 sector.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/posts/482679

35167v4.jpg

Thumbs up for courage. I've always thought that clothes which rot off selectively so they could cover "those" areas are pretty cheap. Plus it's make a creature even more disgusting, repulsing as Ulquiorra reaction clearly proved :> 

And I think many of us will agree that it's exactly how we should feel about undead in the first place.

@up no offence ;)

I hope you guys won't delete any concept art the artists make or leave it out of the digital collector's book format. I would love to see all of it even the rejected ones!  :yes:

Good Lord yes! We beg You Obsidian, keep all of them, even those most sketchy ones for umm... future generations?

Oh ok, I want 'em on my digital collector's book :D

<greedy me>

PS

Thanks for reminder about JA:F. Now where did I wrote down that password for amazon payments...

Edited by milczyciel

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

These drawings, man. They bring back the memory of the day I first saw hand drawn concept art from BG. Been a long time.
I hope that Obsidian will use them as in-game assets to cank up the atmosphere even more - i'd love to see them as illustrations placed in the in-game books, like bestiaries. I'm not sure whether PE will immitate the estethics of the inventory system found in BG games (with hand drawn images of the equipment) but surely you could utilise all the conceptual artwork that is being made at the prototyping phase and include it in the game. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say that I find the overall design of the Blood Woman to be pretty interesting.  I do they accomplished the goal of familiar but with a little added flare.  I would also like to add that the design reminds me of the type of preservation found in bog bodies.  As an aside, if you have never seen what happens when a body is preserved in a bog then you should really google it as it's pretty fascinating.  I would love to see some more inspiration for other undead creatures to be taken from this type of source.
Some of the images of these preserved bodies are pretty unsettling, but could possibly be interesting for creature design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_body
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bog_bodies

~I am Torgo, Innkeeper of the Obsidian Order, I take care of the place while the Masters are away.~

Thanks for the nice little update. And really nice of you, Josh Sawyer, to mention JA:F. It helped a lot. Small effort but big help. Looking forward to future updates!

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

Too bad it had boobs in the final concept. It should have been as ugly as possible instead.

Sigh.

Okay, why?

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Too bad it had boobs in the final concept. It should have been as ugly as possible instead.

Even ugly, "evil" things have to feed their young. u_u

Elsewise, they go extinct, and there's nothing to stop you from getting to treasure chests and/or complete quests. Except pretty things that can feed their young, apparently.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u