I am little tired of all these whimpers. I see 2 groups of people when it comes down to monk

1. European Monk lovers

Old hermit

2. Asian Monk Lovers

kung-fu master

So lets look if wiki can enlighten us:

The term monk is generic and in some religious or philosophical traditions it therefore may be considered interchangeable with other terms such as ascetic. However, being generic, it is not interchangeable with terms that denote particular kinds of monk, such as friar, cenobite, hermit, anchorite, hesychast, solitary

Basic concept is easy - Do something (mostly sacrificing) in your life to get to heaven, find Nirvana, rebirth.. whatever. European monks try find salvation and heaven through rejecting spoils of mortal world and enduring pain and poor life, Eastern monks through physical and psychical training. European monks were praying, eastern monks were meditating. Both lived in monastery.

So if you look on it they are completely same. Imagine mage who like summoning spells and other who practise more offensives spell school.They are still both mage. IF European monk live in Asia he can learn kung-fu and if Asian monk live in Europe he can learn religious teaching. Still they are monks because what makes monk monk is that he devote his life to some greater goal (religious or philosophical)

I think that Wound( enduring pain) class ability capturing it nicely for both groups, they just dont understand it. Where I see what European Monk lovers miss is that Wound should feed both physical and psychical (spell casting) feats

Peace

Dude

Thanks, you couldn't have said it any better. :yes:

No matter what religious practice a monk goes through a monk is still a monk and suffering is concept discuss in Asian and European Religions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffering#Religion

• Like 1

I don't normally date planetouched girls, but when I do the Tiefling is already in the sack 

stay rolling my friends!  :fdevil: 

Just passing by with a little more attentive eye, and something kind of struck me. I'm wondering what's the story behind the Vallian Republics? Because, as far as I know, you don't get to see this kind of costumes in the type of climates that makes black men (or are they more of the Métis/Latin kind than the picture suggests perhaps?), so has there been an exodus or something for them? If I'm not mistaken, the game's map locations are essentially continental, so I guess they're indeed not living in their source region...

• 2 months later...

I feel the mechanics fit the concept of, say, a monk of Ilmater or a reckless berserker wonderfully. If I wanted to play a berserker type character in PE I would probably go for this monk class.

However, if I wanted to create an unarmed martial artist character I would look for another class to try and fill the role since the SM mechanics don't fit the bill for me.

Those twerpy little Orlans are at the perfect height to take a serious drubbing from the Testicles of Fury feat--adds to Wounds while thrashing the Orlan like a speed bag possessed! :p

Kung-Fu monks? Seriously? Sheesh... To each his own. ;)

• Like 2

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

• 4 weeks later...

Reading the post from Chilloutman, I'd like to have a European style monk, a la Chaucer. So my feats mainly evolve around getting drunk and being bawdy.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 1 month later...

I have already planned at least one party with all monks.

And to me it's important that some monks are super-agile, doing splits and what not.

One of my monks shall be old, short and serene, taming tanks using gymnastics, with a broad Belgian accent, like van Damme does in this video. Enjoy!

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I'm going to make an Aumauan Monk at some point, and his special ability (role-played, of course) shall be called Hawaiian Punch. 8)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 3 months later...

Did they ever state what fighting style will the monk utilize? Will they be brawlers like boxers, or martial artists, or some other styles? I hope that they don't have the standard unarmed fighting stance everyone else uses only with minor tweaks. Many monks I've played get shafted in animations and the types of loot they can use is so sparse it almost seems unfair. Hopefully these guys get some love! If I had my .02 I'd ask for qi gong style since they seem to take physical damage and redirect the power similar to how mr cain explained it and they have a history of being swords masters and healers on the field which could be useful in this game.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

• 3 months later...

To me a monk is someone with mental focus that surpasses the perceived expectation of their ability. The exact vision that came to my mind regarding monks in PoE is the self-immolating Buddhist type. 

360_bh_self_immolation_0119.jpg

Able to withstand great pain and affliction in order to effect at a higher order. 

I'm curious to note will there be any fist weapons for monks? One of the things that always happens to monks in rpg's is they're screwed for loot drops. They get like a pair of boots and a necklace or amulet it seems, and maybe some rings. Or they're forced to wield a weapon to compensate, but I'm hoping they balance their skill tree so we can get comparable drops like the rest of the group without the need to be fully equiped in the same armor or wield the same weapons as the next party. With all due respect, I don't want the whole party wearing the same gear or using the same weapon and look identical for them to have the best gear. Visually I want my party to stand out apart from another.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...