Nice update. So far it looks like:

Dyrwood - anglo-saxon\germanic

Valian Republics - Italic city-states(?)

Aedyr Empire - greco-roman

Jxamitl - slavonic

Yeah! But ixamitl in my opionion have some mix between slavic and east cultures( like 30%/70%). Even word  Ixamitl is not quiete slavic. I mean, i`m slavic and  just cant spell this word in slavic manner, it`s just dont fit.

about cultural concept:

I don't think it would be wise to have various cultural styles for example medieval style of clothing mixed up with baroque (vailan republic). I don't know but for me its unprofessional like "we just put there everything what was in the history". I would choose medieval style of clothing and the cultural differences would be similar to each other, not totally different.

about cultural concept:

I don't think it would be wise to have various cultural styles for example medieval style of clothing mixed up with baroque (vailan republic). I don't know but for me its unprofessional like "we just put there everything what was in the history". I would choose medieval style of clothing and the cultural differences would be similar to each other, not totally different.

Er, when the Conquistadors arrived in South America (in fast, hi-tech galleons) with plate armour, groovy hats and velvet codpieces (not to mention cannons), the locals were wearing feathers and had failed to develop even basic metallurgy.

• Like 7

sonsofgygax.JPG

The Monk concept reminds me of the WoW tank monk. It's the same idea taking half of the damage instantly and the other half staggered over a time. But I rally like the differences of the PE concept and I'm definitely going to play a monk as my main. The monk seems to scale pretty well with higher difficulties. On lower difficulties u play unarmed to get more wounds and on higher ones you can wear armor and still get (the same amount of? ) wounds. Sounds pretty strong to me.

Er, when the Conquistadors arrived in South America (in fast, hi-tech galleons) with plate armour, groovy hats and velvet codpieces (not to mention cannons), the locals were wearing feathers and had failed to develop even basic metallurgy.

I kind of want to dig up that one satire about World War II being badly written I saw once, but I can't find it...

Thanks for the update.

Monk sounds interesting. I'm a concept art junkie so art updates are always welcome.Culture concepts look fabulous!

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

I'm not going to lie... I f'n hate monks in Western fantasy RPGs because it breaks my immersion. Unless, of course, you're talking about a monk made the spirit of Friar Tuck. In Eastern RPGs they fit right in, where as a Knight in plate would be just as out of place there, in my mind. Might as well be a gun-toting Hip gangster wannabe in King Arthur's Court. (No, you didn't see what I did there.)

But, my violent dissension aside, I realize other supporters who do like monks contributed so I'll have to pretend they don't exist. (Something I'm using to doing.)

Also, it's not a dislike of Obsidian's planned class mechanics or whatever, it's the very presence of the class I find so distasteful. But, as I said in a thread right after the kickstarter, no matter who you are, there will be some things about the game you're not going to like. Pleasing everyone on every front is not only impossible, it's also a guaranteed failure.

• Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

An awesome update! The Monk things were really incredible; you’re not forcing the monks naked, but guide them naked. Damage cause power system sounds very charming – I feel pain, so you feel my pain, and I feel comfortable…

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

I kind of want to dig up that one satire about World War II being badly written I saw once, but I can't find it...

My grasp of history is impeccable, as is my prose.

* flounces off *

sonsofgygax.JPG

Combat masochists monks are totally neat, fresh and amazing idea indeed! Finally monk class sounds like a real deal of fun, oh and of course FREE h-i-t p-o-i-n-t-s! So far so good. As for a concept, it's really brilliant, there is great diversity among each of them (especially like the Ixamitl), I think it has perfectly struck just that delicate balance in not being flat out medieval while not looking far too modern, to put it clear just around the times of the first musketeers. Outstanding update. 

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

I see mixture of real world cultures in every culture concept.

Drywood: looks to me culture that is bit poorer than others, as their clothing focus more in function than looks. Their clothing also looks like it is designed for seasonal weather.

Ixamitl: Looks culture from much warmer climate and and wealthier as clothes have much more decoration than what they have in Drywood.

Vailian Republics: Looks also wealthy culture, but from looks of it they come from more seasonal weather climate than Ixamitlic culture.

Aedyr Empire: Looks culture from warm climate and they have same low decorative style as Drywood, but with bit more dyes in their hands.

In my opinion these are quite good cultural concepts.

Monk seems to be cool class, as to max benefits your soul power, you need to sacrifice your protection and weapons, but without making more geared up build useless, as it sounds that torment reach with long range melee weapon can be quite devastating, even if you can't hit as many times as you could with unarmed build. And it also looks like class for those who want chainmail bikini/speedo wearing characters, that don't lose their effectiveness in battle because of that choice.

I actually love the monks, in that they actually came up with an in-game reason for monks to go unarmed that is reflected in gameplay styles, and as a bonus, it's not a 'hard limit' and it presents new and interesting tactical choices. What's not to like over the standard monks?

And without going into some complicated historical debate about Eastern 'monks', I don't really see how this violates the popular imagination of the monk either. I didn't realise they were defined by their uncanny ability to dodge things, and they are on a continuum with ascetics, hardcore endurance training, etc. (Of course shrugging off sharp pointy sticks to the face is a stretch, but that applies to all classes.) Usually I'm turned off monks because you can't make use of all the items you find, so in this case they mitigate that too as much as you can while still focusing on unarmed monks.

• Like 3

One would think that using wounds as a resource for special attacks would be a gameplay mechanic for the Barbarian. The Monk is supposed to avoid attacks at all cost. Yes I know they are trying to make the classes unique and different from the ones in D&D. I guess we'll have to see what they will come up with for the Barbarian .... I hope the two won't be to similar.

about cultural concept:

Well, I think there is a great deal of difference between a "first encounter" and cultures being in close contact for quite a long period of time, which seems to be our case as far as I understand it. So, yes - I also find this mix of styles of clothing somewhat inconsistent, as in my opinion such differences have to be subtle in a relatively small region with highly developed cultural contacts. E.g., the Turks, while still differing from the Western Europeans, also had plate armour, stylish hats, fast galleons and large cannons. However, if Obsidian feel something will enhance our gaming experience... I'm all in for it )

Monk to advancing goons: "I don't suppose any of you chaps has an accurate, but understrength monkey they'd like to bring to this fight?"

Awesome. I shall be monking like St Francis.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I wonder how the monk will use his amazing powers of Damage over Time when he's cut with a sword leaving his limbs hanging on only by a sliver of skin. Or how he will take only minor damage and a DoT when impaled by a a spear through his chest. But you know, unarmored fighters, we gots to have them.

I can't wait to bash their skull in with a mace.

Did I mention I don't like monks ?

Edited by trulez
  • Like 1

Culture Concept

pe-cultures-580x318.jpg

Concept artist Kaz Aruga has been developing the look of some of Project Eternity's various cultures. So far, he's created concepts for people from the Dyrwood, the Vailian Republics, the Aedyr Empire, and the Valley of Ixamitl. We hope you like the range we've come up with. Let us know what you think!

I like what I'm seeing. I would also love to see something like Inca dress, colourful and different.

Quick google search for some examples in the spoilers

inca%20costume.jpg

DSCF0505.JPG

Closeup_Andean_flute_player_near_the_Inc

peru0005.jpg

58944162.jpg

524126_406358182734430_21999563_n.jpg

pisacwoman525.jpg

The Monk sounds like it's the perfect class for the Paintakers!

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Re the monk, I'm still waiting for the cultural underpinnings before deciding whether I like them or not. (Currently leaning towards "not" FWIW, but that opinion is very much subject to change.)

The mechanics sound cool enough, but whether it'll turn out weeaboo or not depends on how it fits in with the rest.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Nice a Update.

One would think that using wounds as a resource for special attacks would be a gameplay mechanic for the Barbarian. The Monk is supposed to avoid attacks at all cost.

Why? normally a Barbarian deals more damage but also gets more damage. The monk  class in PE will use the damage and will receive less damage, if they use their wounds. 

Ohhh...I don't really like this update. The monk is just...I just get the impression that someone (Sawyer?) was trying to be too clever. For me the way the monk works is completely unintuitive. Why would you get stronger when you're getting your ass kicked? Is this some kind of magic? It's not clear. Unless, of course the monk should actually be called the masochist...you know, thriving and at his/her best when in a lot of pain...

Now, I admit the concept is interesting and will add (superfluous in this regard?) sophistication to the combat system, but at the same time it feels very unnatural. For me, at least.

The Culture Concept is OK. I also noticed it reflects the currently popular view that women have no breasts (beacuse if they did, it would be sexist). Good job.

Edited by norolim
  • Like 2