I never like monks in RPG and I'm still not conviced, but I very like concept arts and paint. Especially Dyrrvood models, looks like poor medieval villagers outfit.

p.s

Will Vailian Republicans have black skin and looks belong to upper class? I guess it's historical justice :)

Blame Gary Gygax I guess?

Instead of being inspired by flavor, that the Monk's gear choice emerges from its core mechanic is really smart.  And I love the concept art, especially the flamboyant Vailians.  I don't think I've ever been this interested in playing a Human in an RPG.

The monk concept sounds to me like "If you damage me I'll delivery you a lot of pain. It's better to be far from me."  I don't like it, sorry. Looks like a class where they want more pain to fight better.  Not a good concept on my opinion.

Wasn't that the "original" concept of a Barbarian? That he gets into "Berzerker" mode if he gets badly wounded? ;)

Not really. The Berserker mode is just a bonus, he is quickly at his limit, and his vulnerability is as far as I know even increased. I can come to terms with the concept but I also find it a bit strange. Imagine a very high-level monk. He's basically some god's avatar who can maybe only be killed by killing yourself. The most basic risk and trade-off in battle, of harm, is inverted to making him more powerful. Sure, it's kind of intriguing, but still.

Edited by MattH

I think the monk class is interesting. He seems more like a berserker type of fighter which might be fun. However they turn out, I hope they are distinguishable from other fighting classes and not just re-skinned. One pet peeve of mine in these games is everyone has the same attack swings whether your unarmed or armed with a  war hammer, big or small, lady or gent. It would do well to give the monks several extra attack animations so its not the same 5 attacks the whole game but with bigger glows around his fist. Also maybe your animators can develop a specific fighting style so its not just a bunch of rockem sockem robots. Maybe he can wear shoes with knives in the toe, or wear battle gauntlets that are basically knuckles. I'm just tossing ideas out there. If I had 3 wishes for my monk, it would be he has very fast flurry of blows type of attack that stuns the enemy, some kind of parry attack that uses the enemys attack against themselves, and the dynamic cloth clothes on their pants or robes so they flow when they attack.

The concept art is pretty cool, I don't ever remember playing a game in that period style of gear so thats original to me. Better make sure dynamic cloth works though. Also is this game gonna have merchant ships or pirate ships? I would have fun as a swashbuckler :)

• Like 1

I'm curious. I know going bare-fisted will be more advantageous than the sword, but will the same principle apply to other weapons associated with monks? The Bo comes to mind. Speaking of which, I wonder if we'll be getting fist-type weapons.

It all looks and sounds great. The Monk is a real departure from the old D&D class and it sounds much more like something I'd actually want to play: living damage capacitors.

As for the culture concepts... I can see what was meant by a subdued palette. I like the clear differentiation in the styles, and the Vailian attire certainly has that Renaissance look; albeit with less modest dresses. Most of the hair styles and colors look very similar--are there going to be cultural differences there as well?

Thank you for the update. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Balancing aside, I mainly find it curious from a cultural perspective. Such an ability would probably have big implications, social, military and philosophical, and not be ignored and left alone to a few monks, those weirdos in a mountain hut.

Edited by MattH

Concept artist Kaz Aruga has been developing the look of some of Project Eternity's various cultures. So far, he's created concepts for people from the Dyrwood, the Vailian Republics, the Aedyr Empire, and the Valley of Ixamitl. We hope you like the range we've come up with. Let us know what you think!

Please abandon these concepts immediately and instead come up with something original. In order of appearance they're pretty much Germanic, Mongolian, Spanish and Greek. Wtf were you thinking when you decided to OK that concept for publishing, it's clearly just lazy copy paste work from existing historical cultures.

So now that the mechanic side of monks are out of the way, can we get a blurb on monks lore-wise? Reasons for the berzerker mechanics, their role in society, etc?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Very interesting Update!

I especially liked the design of the people from the valley of Ixamitl and their kinda south american influence.

I really hope that the design of their buildings will also reflect that, because that's something that you don't often see in games.

Okay monks are interesting now, yay! Great update, interesting to hear about the mechanics - I'll second Oerwinde about knowing more about the lore.

I'd like to know if monks have different schools of thought about fighting technique? Maybe they attend different dojo or the PE equivalent.

Are they mercenaries for hire or do they practice a code of honour? What are there origins and do they have a Bruce Lee equivalent??

Edited by Tuckey

BDSM monks are kewl.

The Valian hats are even cooler. You could have a sado-masochist monk in a plumed hat. This game, seriously, is going to be cooler than Frank Sinatra drinking Martini on a yacht.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

Really liked the concept arts for the cultures. Just adds a bit of depth to the setting and I confess that I'm already in deliberation as to which cultural background I'd choose.

In terms of the monk, it looks like there's some very good designs there, and it's great to have such an update. Personally, it doesn't look like they'll be much of a class for me (unless threat/tanking is going to be a substantial thing in P:E), but it's different strokes for different folks and I appreciate the concepts and design even if it doesn't necessarily lend itself very well to my typical styles of rpg play.

I never like monks in RPG and I'm still not conviced, but I very like concept arts and paint. Especially Dyrrvood models, looks like poor medieval villagers outfit.

p.s

Will Vailian Republicans have black skin and looks belong to upper class? I guess it's historical justice :)

Exactly! BOOOORING! About as generic as possible to me. This is what I think of Dyrrvood when I look at the concept:

blazing-saddles-movie-quote.jpg

"These are just simple farmers. People of the land. The common clay. You know, morons."

Edited by Frenetic Pony

I never played a monk but this interpretation to give you a motivation to play a classical monk is wonderful, don't restrict the player, motivate him to act as his role suggests ... i like this concept =)

• Like 2

p.s

Exactly! BOOOORING! About as generic as possible to me. This is what I think of Dyrrvood when I look at the concept:

Funny. The Dyrwood guys remind me of the Orlanthi from King of Dragon Pass. Who are quite far from being boring.

Anyways, the Vailian women (and men, too) are looking pretty swank. So I'm leaning towards playing one of them. After all, who doesn't like big hats with big plumes?

I love the cultures. The Vailians remind me of an article I read somewhere on (IIRC) Namibian fashion, which is based on repurposed Prussian styles from the colonial period. Great job on the Aedyrans too. I like the printed (or woven?) patterns on the khitons and togas. Nice late antiquity vibe there without being a slavish copy.

If anything, I'd like to see you go a bit crazier with the styles and colors. The Vailians could be even more flamboyant with brighter colors and bolder patterns, and the Ixamitl wouldn't mmmaybe need to hew sow closely to their real-world inspiration.

Also, hat plumes can never be too big. Never.

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Vailians with plume hats: Check

Ixamitl with bee-keeper suits: Check

Full-monty-loving S/M Monks: Check

A mean machine dream team in PE goes like this:

-A plume hat furbished Vailian Cipher of Orlan blood (ears in the way and clothes dragging in the mud)

-An Aumaua monk with a golden loin cloth

-A garish Ixamitl chanter singing barber shop with her yoghurt goat Urp

This was an update to die for! :D

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***