As a few people seem to be playing it, may as well start a thread for it, to keep the discussion more organised than the "What are you playing now?" thread allows.

As it seems, the majority of forumites are located here:

Shard: Mindflayer

We have a custom chat set up which you can join by typing:

/channel_join ObsidianOrder

(though currently only hurlshot, serrano and shadysands are in it, with one person not responding to their invite ;) )

Global handles:

Your global handle will be added behind every character name and takes the form: @global

For example I am @melkathi

Note: this should be the display name of your account, not the account name itself.

For friend invites, chatting, mailing etc, all you need is the @global. It means that you can find people online regardles of what character they are on and regardless even of which of the three Cryptic MMOs they are on (NWO, CO, STO).

People currently playing (in reverse alphabetical order) :

ShadySands - @shadysands

Serrano - @serranolegacy

Keyrock - @keyrock42

Hurlshot - @hurlshot

Gfted1 - @gftedUn

Drowsy Emperor -

Bokishi - @bokinator

And that's it for now.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

There is no "Nights", it's just "Neverwinter".  That said, great idea melkathi.  This will make it much easier to get everyone playing together and easier to keep a discussion about the game going.  Gfted1 is @GftedUn, at least that's the global handle that accepted my friend request yesterday.

I'm going to go ahead and add everyone I haven't already as a friend.  

Here's my complete info, as of right now:

@keyrock42

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Murzush Gro Ruhm, Female Half-Orc Great Weapon Fighter, Mindflayer Shard.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Meh. I knew something looked off :) Can't change the title now though.

Strange about gfted's handle. The channel invite showed only @Gfted1 existing as an account.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Meh. I knew something looked off :) Can't change the title now though.

Strange about gfted's handle. The channel invite showed only @Gfted1 existing as an account.

My friend list shows GftedUn.  Maybe there is both a GftedUn and a Gfted1?  What are the chances?  :wowey:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Ok, gonna remove that bastard's invite from the channel then ;)

Figured out why you didn't show up correctly: glitch in the display ;)

You could change the title, if it isn't a hassle.

Quick question. Ive found two purple lockboxes that require some special key to open. Do those keys ever "drop" off enemies or can you only buy them with the astral diamonds? If they can only be bought, who sells them?

Bwahaahhahaha micro-transactional bait. It will cost you a couple of bucks to open those.

Edit: The dude playing it on RPS mentioned it, about UK sterling 1.30.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm thinking of trying this, how is it? Does it use the abomination that is 4E?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Quick question. Ive found two purple lockboxes that require some special key to open. Do those keys ever "drop" off enemies or can you only buy them with the astral diamonds? If they can only be bought, who sells them?

To the best of my knowledge, you can only buy those keys using Zen, Perfect World's microtransaction currency.  You can earn free Zen by doing some offers and survey too.  I managed to earn enough for a couple of keys so far doing just that.  I just make sure to only do offers that don't ask for a credit card number, and if they ask for an email address (they pretty much always do), I have a secondary email account set up for just those occasions (they can go ahead and spam that email address to their heart's content).

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Bwahaahhahaha micro-transactional bait. It will cost you a couple of bucks to open those.

I was so annoyed by the game not working for me that I forgot it had micro-transactions. Are they ones that affect actual gameplay/character ability (pay to win), or are they non-ability related, like Path of Exile's decorative and stash space options?
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm thinking of trying this, how is it? Does it use the abomination that is 4E?

Im finding it fairly entertaining. Ive never actually played 4E but a response from a different thread:

That's interesting. I figured it was using the 4E rules but youre saying that's not the case? Im a little surprised WoTC allows that.

Okay, I misspoke a bit, I guess. I'm sure there's just enough bits and pieces of D&D rules in there to satisfy WotC, but as far as skills and feats and weapon damage and combat modifiers, none of that really resembles D&D at all. I mean the have things like Armor Class, and Heroic and Paragon feats, but they all work much differently than tabletop D&D, at least that's how it feels to me. I'm sure the amount of experience needed to level is likely the same as in tabletop D&D, but the way you gain experience is different. Not to mention that in tabletop D&D you're generally not going to be slicing through hundreds of mobs per hour. This is all fine with me, since tabletop D&D is a terrible system for video games in unmodified form, particularly for an MMO where you will be constantly battling huge numbers of mobs.

I was so annoyed by the game not working for me that I forgot it had micro-transactions. Are they ones that affect actual gameplay/character ability (pay to win), or are they non-ability related, like Path of Exile's decorative and stash space options?

I'm not sure LC, check out the review in Rock, Paper, Shotgun he tries to explain it there.

Edit: IIRC one box contained a mount / pet

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Bwahaahhahaha micro-transactional bait. It will cost you a couple of bucks to open those. Edit: The dude playing it on RPS mentioned it, about UK sterling 1.30.

Just do a reformat if it doesn't work, that usually fixes it if it's an os issue

I'm not sure LC, check out the review in Rock, Paper, Shotgun he tries to explain it there.

Edit: IIRC one box contained a mount / pet

Interesting read. The Foundry is intriguing. Sounds like a better/complex end game along the lines of PoE's (simpler) endgame is these days (ability to make map instances to play in using certain parameters or something).

Just do a reformat if it doesn't work, that usually fixes it if it's an os issue

I'm not reformatting for a single game. I don't think it's an OS issue, anyway. The game may not be browser related, but I feel like the launcher is, so it's probably some weird browser issue. Or if it is OS, it's because of some Win7 feature I've disabled and have no desire to turn back on. Or whatever. I could try redownloading it to see if a file got corrupted or something, but I haven't bothered.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ok I downloaded from one of the partner sites, which was much faster (3.5MB/sec, 12-15 minutes) but their launcher version is slightly older and so the launcher puts up a box saying it's trying to update itself .. and it can't connect/fails. I can't connect to the game forum either tho, so maybe it's just them. At any rate...maybe the next version. :p

It is micro-transaction bait but you can get them and everything else without spending any actual money.

Zen - $1 = 100

Gold/Silver/Copper coins - standard game currency

Astral Diamonds - From dailies, Leadership, invocation. Used for auctions and speeding up tasks and some other things

Tsomethingrandom bars

Coins of (magical critter) - drops from bosses and bounties. Trade for gear and changes for level range

Some other coins I don't remember - 2 different ones from invocation. One you can exchange for the different coins of (magical critter) and the other for something else

It's part of all the different currencies that the game has that I was complaining about earlier but you can exchange astral diamonds for Zen at varying exchange rates.

EDIT 

a key is 125 Zen or $1.25 or currently about 60k Astral Diamonds and you can refine 24k Astral Diamonds a day but you can get more (without paying money) by selling on the AH or trading things for them I believe.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

They're doing mantinence at the moment, I can't get the launcher to work either but I could this morning and yesterday.

Bad timing then. Such is my life. I'll try again later.

MMO's ... WoW sucked away my life for too long - it's that obsessive personality thing. I might actually be better off if I can't get it to work/don't like it. But you're all playing and I wanted to check out the game that has captured so many Obsidianites attention. :teehee:

Cool I'll add everyone

I don't mind freemium MMOs as long as they are not blatantly crippling like Old Republic

So far I haven't seen a big need for microtransactions.  They can help you get some flashy fashion clothing or some rare crafting items or gear, but you can get all the necessary stuff just from playing, albeit slower.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

NWO-0001.jpg

Yay!

Initially it gave me the same "need cookies enabled" message. Then I mentioned it to hubby (asking about the network actually) and he said "Maybe it uses Internet Explorer, what are your settings there?" I normally never touch IE at all, not even once, so that didn't even occur to me to check it's cookie settings :p but I must have opened it at some point since last reformat because when I looked IE's privacy setting was on "High." Must have been to remove/block their addons or something I read about, once. I put it down to Medium and the launcher was suddenly happy. So...basically, it uses IE for the cookies, even if it's not set as your default browser. 

I'll try it later ... it's almost dinner time and I might need a nap first....

• Like 1