RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

^ Very simple - I was planning on getting my son one of these for his birthday later this year. If it has an always-online requirement then I won't buy it.

I'm sure I'm not alone.

sonsofgygax.JPG

They keep floating different ideas. Before that, the last I heard was they would let it be up to the publisher what type of (basically) DRM they wanted to impose.

Just make a stupid console that plays games, and if you want to hook it up to the internet, you can. Anything else is beyond stupid.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Next Xbox won't require an always on connection. People are extremely gullible.

Before that, the last I heard was they would let it be up to the publisher what type of (basically) DRM they wanted to impose.

That's what Yoshida said about the PS4. Microsoft hasn't stated their position, but it's unlikely to be different.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

^ Very simple - I was planning on getting my son one of these for his birthday later this year. If it has an always-online requirement then I won't buy it.

I'm sure I'm not alone.

Im curious, what is your particular reason for being against always online?

It's not anything other than (a) what if my internet connection fails and (b) why on earth should I pay for a product that doesn't *really* need online connection only to feed the convenience of the producer? I'm the customer, FFS, it should be about *my* convenience, not Microsoft's.

• Like 7

sonsofgygax.JPG

Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate.

Spartan Battle Manual

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Disney and EA sign multi-year Star Wars deal

BURBANK & REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines.

Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories.

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, Co-President of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to our fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Obsidian loses out - again.

Edited by Morgoth

the last good thing labelled "star wars" was kotor 2

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

DICE and Battlefront 3 would be the perfect marriage, while Visceral I assume is gonna finish 1313. It would make a lot of sense.

Yeah that seems like the most obvious pairing with respect to Battlefront 3.  Though we're going to need a new way of condensing the name as BF3 will just get confusing! :biggrin:

Good to see the Visceral guys get to finish off what they started.  Hopefully they haven't lost too much.

I am curious if BioWare "continues" to work on Star Wars will mean anything more than just TOR.  Although I know part of the reason for new IPs was the flexibility, but at the same time I am getting the impression that Disney will be much less discerning on a lot of things compared to George Lucas.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Disney and EA sign multi-year Star Wars deal

BURBANK & REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines.

Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories.

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, Co-President of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to our fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Obsidian loses out - again.

And so do we. :(

• Like 1

I have a ton of fond memories of Skynet, I would probably buy it just to reminisce. It isnt like we have any other Terminator games to compare to.

I loved those old Terminator games, I didn't realise until years later that they were the same company that made the Elder Scrolls games.

• Like 1

I wonder if this would just mean that Obsidian would need to talk with EA.

"Agreement to develop and publish new games"

Yeah, that's really how I read it.  Basically Disney is handing off a lot of the game business stuff to people they feel are more capable, since their own game development hasn't really gone well.  Obsidian's shot at working on Star Wars is probably the same as it was before.  Sadly I still don't think it is very good, as TOR is still alive and I doubt they'll release a single player game in that universe any time soon.  

Although with new movies, maybe they will launch a new RPG set in the EU.  But most likely we will see 1313, possibly Battlefront 3, and movie tie in games.

• Like 1

I, perhaps paradoxically, think that a KOTOR 3 would have had greater chance of being made had TOR been a runaway success, since it could be viewed as ancillary and complementary to a big TOR machine, with the two feeding off each other in some capacity.  There's a large gap of time between KOTOR 2 and TOR that could have been filled.

I'd certainly like to see Obsidian getting another crack at it, however.  The biggest issue, I would imagine, would be financing.  EA would have to also be interested in ponying up the money, and I am not sure if they'd be keen on a smaller scale game (which I assume is what Obsidian would do, compared to the other bigger budgeted affairs).

Are EA actually publishing games any more in the 'go out and find an external studio to make game x for $$$ y' sense? I thought pretty much everything (exc EA Partners stuff, which may be defunct anyway) was developed by internal studios now.