Dutch King crowned

Walsingham

My compliments to the Netherlands on the accession to the throne.

It's going to sound less congratulatory, but I thought the crown looked a bit weird, so researched it on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_of_the_Netherlands

Apparently the damn thing is some sort of ersatz comedy crown!

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yes, we didn't crown our king today, we inaugurated him. And there was much rejoicing because it also fell on "queensday" henceforth too be known as "kingsday" Queensday is a national holiday on which there is freetrade (us being a traders nation historically speaking) meaning that the shopping malls are full with children in what is essentially "Giant yardsale day"

fun for the family.

Btw, as head of state but not government, his position is ceremonial more than anything else. the royal family is a useful tool for international diplomacy, and have some cultural merit, but hardly much more.

much fun was had, sunny day too.

• Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Yes, we didn't crown our king today, we inaugurated him. And there was much rejoicing because it also fell on "queensday" henceforth too be known as "kingsday" Queensday is a national holiday on which there is freetrade (us being a traders nation historically speaking) meaning that the shopping malls are full with children in what is essentially "Giant yardsale day"

fun for the family.

Btw, as head of state but not government, his position is ceremonial more than anything else. the royal family is a useful tool for international diplomacy, and have some cultural merit, but hardly much more.

Oh so he can't order people to be sent to the guillotine ? Borrrrrrrring

:p

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

fun for the family.

Hah! Cool! In future we should also have some sort of mock naval battle between the dutch and english on home made rafts.

• Like 4

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I fail at the internet - I can't find any pics of the crown. Anyone want to help a brother out?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Nederlandskongekrone3.jpg

Maybe that ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think it would be much more awesome if the Dutch monarch was like BBC Test Match Special.

By which I mean that he/she would wear cake or bread based crowns baked freshly each day by his subjects.

A well glazed bread crown would be - I'm guessing - well up to the normal wear and tear for 24 hours. It could then be fed to ducks.

EDIT: for those who aren't familiar with Test Match Special, no one is obliged to bake them cake. It just keeps happening.

EDIT2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIswIYdtZk

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

-Elwood Blues

that's a nice twist there at the end :p

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.