Sunil Tripathi dead?

Walsingham

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/25/sunil_tripathi_reddit_suspect_dead/

The article linked points the finger at crowdsourcing as the guilty party for the accusation. I think that is ludicrous.

All the 'crowd' did was review material. The failure lies squarely with media sources using the output as newsworthy fact.

~~

Full disclosure, I am a fan of 'old' journalism conducted by professionals in a 1in24hr atmosphere. The news the public needs in order to be informed and engaged in the democratic system is (I believe) on this pattern. A rolling blanket of sensation 24hr 'news' is just noise. It is worse than no news.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I agree so vehemently, a story needs to be thoroughly investigated and 'digested' before being send out.

And I hope they get rid of the "opinion on the street", I'm really not interested in how 4+ people misinterpreted the situation.

--

In relation to this, I don't know if a 24h cycle would've prevented it. This is like a village reaction to trauma, the internet just acting like the medium that allowed a few thousand rather than a few dozen to act like idiots.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/25/sunil_tripathi_reddit_suspect_dead/

The article linked points the finger at crowdsourcing as the guilty party for the accusation. I think that is ludicrous.

All the 'crowd' did was review material. The failure lies squarely with media sources using the output as newsworthy fact.

~~

Full disclosure, I am a fan of 'old' journalism conducted by professionals in a 1in24hr atmosphere. The news the public needs in order to be informed and engaged in the democratic system is (I believe) on this pattern. A rolling blanket of sensation 24hr 'news' is just noise. It is worse than no news.

Mmh, coupled with the fact that at some point, "news" became about asking a bunch of people on the street what they think about what happened, ffs.

Edit: right, got beaten by the vampire dude. But exactly. ;)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Those vox populi (posh name) are the epitome of cheap journalism, though.

Actually, I take that back. They used to be. Now they can just read out online comments.

Yes, that's right BBC news 24. I'm looking at you, you pointless ****party.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wasn't he missing since Mar 15 ? Probably unrelated to Reddit's wannabe SIGINT people

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wasn't he missing since Mar 15 ? Probably unrelated to Reddit's wannabe SIGINT people

Well, that would make me look rather foolish.

-Elwood Blues

Well, that would make me look rather foolish.

Apparently he was missing before the reddit lark but I can't agree more about the 24hr carnival of fear that is modern news.

It's embarrassing that these social media outlets felt the need to go after a poor kid who had probably taken his life weeks before the bombing.  But I did notice a moderator of the reddit thing apologized profusely to the family and friends of the young man.  

I'm sure his apology really counted for much, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Mmh, coupled with the fact that at some point, "news" became about asking a bunch of people on the street what they think about what happened, ffs.

The system failed the day news became business and revenue became king. Most so called "news" (and bloggers passing themselves off as "journalists") is just sordid entertainment for the uncritical masses.

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I would say that they are the unthinking, uncritical masses. There really is a dumbing effect in modern society, things seem to chewed up to fit nicely within the accepted view without much thought.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Social media is a blight. You can't even fart in public anymore without some twit filming it on his/her iPhone and 1 minute later it's on Youtube/twitter/imgur/... and gone viral.

Edited by Drudanae

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I'm sure his apology really counted for much, heh.

Well, I for one was brought up to believe in apologies. They might not fix anything, but they are the tariff of not being a total arsehole.

EDIT:

No offence Gortho, but you're talking balls. The BBC is not for profit and BBC News 24 is appalling.

The problem isn't the business model its the management culture chasing the profit which is full of ****.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

-Elwood Blues

Well, I'd actually nuance that, Hurlshot. the whole problem is that newspapers and 'big' news in general is outdated. It's one size fits all information and that's utterly ludicrous.

I don't want, need, or desire cat news. Nor, for contrast, do many people give a flying hootenany what's going on in Syria. It might as well be Narnia to them. The consequence is that we get a mishmash of content and quality. Current affairs are adulterated to get them in front of people quicker. Fluff pieces get needlessly encumbered with subtext.

The mystery to me is why local news does so badly in this day and age. It's what most people would get most out of.

My only conclusion is that it's a question of snobbery and the theatre of the real. People like having real drama and disaster to watch over their tea and toast. And they show off by being VERY SLIGHTLY better informed than the other guy at the water cooler.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

I remember how twitter users were lauding Reddit en masse as heroes for "catching the bomber" when they fingered him. Just goes to show you can't take the word of any group of people who take pride in using their pretentious modifications to "lol" seriously. Boils down to the fact that the "amateur investigators on Reddit" are just amateurs in the end.

Edited by AGX-17

As I tried to make clear earlier, I don't have any particular objection to Reddit users trying to help churn massive amounts of data in a good cause. The problem is anyone reporting their findings as fact.

-Elwood Blues