What are you playing now?

Playing L.A Noire again because I want to finish it.. But every good or great part of the game is mirrored with a stupid or frustrating part. 

I like..

duDRT.gif

But also kinda hate..

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

OK, roaming around Borgovia with a foxy Russian ghost for company will not be everybody's cup of tea, and it has lots of vanilla ARPG features... but I like it. The character builds are cool (am making a sort of gun slinger), there are perks and special skills to unlock and you get a groovy hat. It has cheesy Eastern Euro balalika music, an agreeably odd Steam-punk setting and it doesn't take itself seriously. At all.

My view is that for the money it's a no-brainer.

sonsofgygax.JPG

OK, roaming around Borgovia with a foxy Russian ghost for company will not be everybody's cup of tea, and it has lots of vanilla ARPG features... but I like it. The character builds are cool (am making a sort of gun slinger), there are perks and special skills to unlock and you get a groovy hat. It has cheesy Eastern Euro balalika music, an agreeably odd Steam-punk setting and it doesn't take itself seriously. At all.

My view is that for the money it's a no-brainer.

Good to hear.  Grim Dawn is currently scratching my loot em up itch, but I'm definitely going to give The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing a look in the future.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Playing L.A Noire again because I want to finish it.. But every good or great part of the game is mirrored with a stupid or frustrating part. 

I like..

duDRT.gif

But also kinda hate..

When you're frustrated, just take a car and drive slowly down Sunset Boulevard during sunset or sunrise. :grin:

• Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Started a Stalker: Clear Sky playthrough as I really have to finish that game. Was immediately reminded why it was the worst of the three as well (badly implemented ideas from CoP with a worse atmosphere than SoC)

The Guns of Icarus guys sent out Skirmish Mode keys to Kickstarter backers today so I guess that is where my game time will mostly go this weekend.

...a foxy Russian ghost...

You got me. Downloading now.

Edit: ..and I need to use Steam more often in the night:

helsing_zps4d8ac617.jpg

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

...a foxy Russian ghost...

You got me. Downloading now.

Edit: ..and I need to use Steam more often in the night:

helsing_zps4d8ac617.jpg

Both you and Monte Carlo will be buying Grim Dawn when it releases, right? 

/slowly raises firearm to chest height

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yes, I've got Grim Dawn as a must have buy.

Van Helsing is growing on me, Lady Katarina (the foxy Russian ghost) is a pretty cool NPC. She's like a more customised Diablo 3 companion, and has some funny lines. If you want to make a melee dude you can make her ranged, and vice versa.

There is a lot of content in the game, as I said for the money (if you like ARPGs) it's a steal.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yes, I've got Grim Dawn as a must have buy.

Van Helsing is growing on me, Lady Katarina (the foxy Russian ghost) is a pretty cool NPC. She's like a more customised Diablo 3 companion, and has some funny lines. If you want to make a melee dude you can make her ranged, and vice versa.

There is a lot of content in the game, as I said for the money (if you like ARPGs) it's a steal.

/slowly lowers firearm, but keeps it at ready position

How flexible is the character system?

The biggest gripe I've heard from D3 players (and this is ALL hearsay as I've not played the game) is that the game pretty much locks you into a certain build and straying from it mean you will suck, period.  By contrast, Grim Dawn lets you get buckwild and crazy with your builds and almost all of them are viable.  Melee Occultist?  It not only works, but works really well.  Ranged Soldier?  **** yeah it works.  That's the kind of flexibility I'm looking for.  That's one of the things I loved about Titan Quest, that you could make an unconventional build and still make it work.  From my (admittedly limited) time with the Grim Dawn alpha, the system is not only as flexible as in Titan Quest, it's MORE flexible.  Arthur Bruno and company have listened to what folks like myself, and other, fare more experienced loot em up players, have written, and made the game extremely flexible.  You can make almost any type of character with almost any mastery combination.  Thater are a few skills that require certain loadouts, but the vast majority of skills work with any weapon/armor combination, allowing for some wacky and awesome characters.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I've thought about Star Trek online, but from the look and sound of it, it's not really what I'd want a ST game to be. Plus I really, really  don't need to get caught up into another of Perfect World's cluster of "F2P" games. One at a time, one at a time. :disguise:

...and I'd be playing NWO if they weren't doing daily maintenance. They're supposed to do that at 6am, not midnight. I protest! *giggle*

Maybe I'll fire up Planet Explorers and do some cavern tunneling while I'm waiting.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The biggest gripe I've heard from D3 players (and this is ALL hearsay as I've not played the game) is that the game pretty much locks you into a certain build and straying from it mean you will suck, period. 

That's not quite true, D3 is as much about your equipment as your build. But there are a few 'golden bullet' builds, yes.

As for Van Helsing, I've tried a melee and a ranged character (there is also a magic-based build). You can have a character that combines all of the disciplines too, they all seem viable. I like the melee build a lot, personally.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I finished Bioshock Infinite last night after playing for almost six hours, the combat finally starts to get interesting in the latter half of the game and it built up to a pretty damn satisfying crescendo, I can poke a few holes in the ending but it doesn't diminish the beauty of it.  It's not a 10/10 game by any stretch but I really enjoyed the ride, even after having the major plot twist spoiled a few months ago...I tend to think I'd have guessed it anyway.

I'm playing Brush Up On Strategy Guides For Wizardry 6-8.  It's not a particularly exciting game, but it should pay dividends in the future when I start playing the Dark Savant Trilogy.  I'm not going to use a walkthrough or anything like that, where's the fun in that, but I remember there were a lot of quirks to the Wizardry games in terms of building and advancing characters, with some choices made at character creation having repercussions WAAAAAAAAAY down the line.  There were certain things that were mostly useless in 6, but were quite useful in 7 and/or 8.  It's been so long since I've played these games that I don't really remember the particulars of what worked and what didn't, outside of only females being eligible to become Valkyries, and the vague recollection of Valkyries being a very good class to change into as a base to later change yet again.  Seeing as I plan to import my party into each subsequent game, it seems pertinent to get familiar with this lost knowledge before beginning, lest I find out 250 hours after starting that I royally botched my character builds.

:facepalm:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I wouldn't give Bioschock 10/10 either, but I thought it was a pretty solid experience all things considered. Combat was fun, the story was at least original if a little convoluted, the art was really well done imo. From a purely FPS perspective it's a solid 9 for me.

Fortune favors the bald.

Finished Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Lands right now. It's not bad. Not really hard and the writing seems rather bad here and there, but it was fun for a while. Feels a bit like Incubation or Gorky 17.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Alpha Centauri

Played as Morgan. I've improved my game, my final score was almost 400%. Played on Iron man (save restricted to exit) and with abundant native life setting. Difficulty level: Thinker, (second highest)

I was fortunate to start on an island, really the ideal beginning for Morgan's weak first third of the game. By the time ships were prevalent my bases were already 10+ in size and I was making more money than anyone else on the planet.

The first one to fall was Sister Miriam - but she was half destroyed by the time I got to her. Still I made her sign a pact to reap all the commerce bonuses. That was my policy throughout the game. Zakharov fell next even though he was in the lead according to the statistics. His 10 or so bases and my 10 were my core through most of the game. Everything else I conquered was a buffer zone between enemies, I didn't want to waste resources improving them unless I conquered even more so that they ended up deeper into my territory.

I convinced Santiago to sign a pact that held for most of the game, held Deirdre off while focusing on the largest menace of all - Yang. The AI cheats like nobody's business in production - Yang had 10-15 troops per city much of the time. 

I had a bit of a conundrum as to how to beat him since he was very far away and had so many troops and his standard perimeter defense in every base. My troop transports couldn't get through to land and it was too far away for aircraft (thankfully so because I got so wrapped up in building that he could have made life difficult for me). The bastard signed a pact with Deirdre which led to a very irritating occasional use of her bases as staging grounds for air attacks. I didn't want to fight a war on two fronts so I let the  attacks pass - he didn't have ground troops and planes can't hold bases...

Then I made probably my best decision in the game. I let my bases stockpile energy (1500+ per turn) and I built Probe Foils. I used this to mind control, and essentially buy out his coastal bases and his sea bases (practically a third of all bases he had), since Probe Foils can move a lot and start the movement outside sight range of his needlejets.

After a few turns he surrendered and I passed a dozen or so turns in peace after which I achieved transcendence victory.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Age of Wushu.

First game I've ever seen where You can spend 20 minutes standing in a circle watching as two guys try to figure something stupid out by kicking each others heads in.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Aaaand finished Cal of Juarez: Gunslinger. It's a funy game, though gets a little repeating fast. I think it's worth the 15 euro.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'll give GTA 4 a break - if I have to hear Roman's voice one more time, I'll crack. I do like Jacob in the game, the scenes with Badman and him are pretty funny. Will fire up Civ IV and burn some hours that way.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra