What are you playing now?

Picked up an old Civ 4 game. Apparently I left off with the East pretty much burning, rather impressed what good a job I did destroying enemy farms, roads, windmills and mines.

One of the reasons I never became particularly good at Civ was that I tended to do that kind of thing out of spite rather than through strategic thinking. But still satisfying nonetheless. If I didn't have the world under my thumb I'd be charged with war crimes. ALL the war crimes.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Played a bit of TERA, started up an Amani Berserker.  So far that game is full of about as standard and generic kill X monsters and fetch quests as it gets.  On the positive side, the game has the best combat I've experienced in my (albeit extremely limited) MMO experience, it's miles better than most run of the mill MMOs.  Also, ridiculous furry fetish characters and impossibly gargantuan weapons aside, it's also the prettiest MMO I've ever played.  I'll pay it the highest compliment by saying that it simply doesn't look like an MMO.

The antropomorphic parts I can handle, the scary part of terra is the loli contingent, thats just really creepy.

Yeah, the whole 9 year old looking girls with rabbit ears in teenie-weenie dresses is pretty creepy, as is the prevalence for super sexualized carapace armor.  But at the same time, the combat in the game is so much better than any other MMO I've ever played.  It's frustrating that the only MMO I've played where the combat doesn't bore me to tears is also a playground for creepy dudes with weird fetishes.  

>_<

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Out of curiosity I had a look at the sight. They have sexualized carapace armour? Seemed to me that women either wore slutty dresses or had body art instead of armour... Something that skimpy and that tight fitting can't be anything "worn" it must be painted onto or grafted directly into the skin...

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I hated Darksiders and felt that for me, even the ridiculously low price was wasted money.

I somehow never got around to try L.A. Noire.

Deus Ex I had a lot of fun with. The writting could have been a bit better, but I really enjoyed the gameplay. Especially the dialogue / social upgrades for the character I found very well implemented. It's DLC is also rather good. One of the better DLC I have seen.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Divinity 2. I have completed three subquests out of four to gain access to The Hall of Echoes. Before I do the last quest that grants me entrance, I'll finish up everything else. Not much left now, then I can move on to the expansion.

Picked up an old Civ 4 game. Apparently I left off with the East pretty much burning, rather impressed what good a job I did destroying enemy farms, roads, windmills and mines.

One of the reasons I never became particularly good at Civ was that I tended to do that kind of thing out of spite rather than through strategic thinking. But still satisfying nonetheless. If I didn't have the world under my thumb I'd be charged with war crimes. ALL the war crimes.

It's something I occasionally forget to do. I seem to have broken the AI though, I have two giant armies of Chinese bottled up in two cities, which means I have to keep three of mine there to watch them. But they're not moving against me, weird. So much easier with gunships, although easily countered directly.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just bought 3 games I haven't played at retail for €6,- combined, not seperate.

- Deus Ex: Human Revolution

- L.A. Noire - The Complete Edition

- Darksiders - The Hellbook Edition

Which one should I start with?

Deus Ex feels very much like the original, it's my favourite of the three. If you were wondering about the DLC, I think the Missing Link is well worth the money, it's reasonably long, has some great level design and the story is short but fun, and the NPCs are well written. I'd avoid all the gun packs and the Explosive Mission DLC though.

Edited by Serrano

So I'm playing Game Dev tycoon, when I happen to hire a designer named Avelone that has high design stats. Now it has mock publishers so I'm wondering if they done the same with devs? Anyone else seen imitations of devs?

Either way I just started making Avelone write an RPG called "My liitle pony', with romance as the topic. :teehee:

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

So I'm playing Game Dev tycoon, when I happen to hire a designer named Avelone that has high design stats. Now it has mock publishers so I'm wondering if they done the same with devs? Anyone else seen imitations of devs?

Either way I just started making Avelone write an RPG called "My liitle pony', with romance as the topic. :teehee:

Yeah they have mock Devs and you should've gotten an achievement for hiring him (hiring someone famous).

I bought it, but I can't really figure it out.. When I move out of the garage and hire my first help things go down hill, my games start getting horrible reviews and sales go down. No idea why. I have new engine, I make sure to release a good combo, to the right age group (like adventure/Sci to young on PC for instance).. But no matter what I go bankrupt around the 8-9th year. How do you guys do it?

Fortune favors the bald.

Try adventure/Sci for Everyone on PC. Prioritise Story and dialogue, add world design and sound and some graphics and don't worry too much about engine and AI. Make it the best 2D graphics your engine can handle and give it mouse support. You should be creating the equivalent of Space Quest.

Actually if you make that combo with adventure/Pirate, you may get a 9.something rating for Monkey Island ;)  (it's what I did. Though I called it Quest for Rum).

(and I hired a second person very fast. So I had one designer, one tech and myself. That allowed for better splitting of responsibilities).

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

I've been fooling around with Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney. I'm a big fan of both series, so dipping into a game which features both of them brings a big smile to my face. It's basically like playing both games at once... the game is split into several chapters, each chapter going either down the Professor Layton route with the gathering of picarats and solving of puzzles, or the Ace Attorney route, complete with courtroom cross-interrogation action.

The story is so-so, but what surprises me is how well Phoenix Wright is integrated into the 3D environment of the game. Since the AA series was completely 2D until this installment, I was afraid that 3D would erase the charm the 2D graphics had, but after playing the PW segments, these fears have been put to rest.

Oh, and I think this game's a great tool for advanced Japanese learners who want to expand their vocabulary as all kanji has furigana as well.

Can't wait to dig further into the mystery of Labyrinth City! 

Out of curiosity I had a look at the sight. They have sexualized carapace armour? Seemed to me that women either wore slutty dresses or had body art instead of armour... Something that skimpy and that tight fitting can't be anything "worn" it must be painted onto or grafted directly into the skin...

Well it looks to me like a crustacean exoskeleton...  a sexy crustacean exoskeleton, hence me calling it carapace armor.  But yeah, I see your point.  Regardless of what we call it, it's freakin' ridiculous.  Still, I'm willing to look past all that stuff (and the generic as can be quests) because the gameplay is just so much better than any other MMO I've tried.  The game is creepy as ****, but it's also really fun.  Now, if I see tentacles or chicks with ****s, I'm out.

If only someone made a non creepy dude spankin' it in his mom's basement MMO that played this well.

:ermm:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Try adventure/Sci for Everyone on PC. Prioritise Story and dialogue, add world design and sound and some graphics and don't worry too much about engine and AI. Make it the best 2D graphics your engine can handle and give it mouse support. You should be creating the equivalent of Space Quest.

Actually if you make that combo with adventure/Pirate, you may get a 9.something rating for Monkey Island ;)  (it's what I did. Though I called it Quest for Rum).

(and I hired a second person very fast. So I had one designer, one tech and myself. That allowed for better splitting of responsibilities).

Good advice, I tried doing the classics (with bars as I imagined they would've been set) and have been getting a lot of good reviews.. I called it Donkey Island instead though :)

I also decided not to hire help, not develop a second engine or make medieum+ ganes before I reach 5mill.

Fortune favors the bald.

I have had to go completly comercial lately...

DanceBear Revolution. A casual game for the whole family :p

At least it sold 2.5 mil units and made 35.5 mil in sales while costing 5mil to make. With an average review score of 8.5 it peaked at rank 3 in the sales charts.

It still is second in profit for me, behind Bears of Might (the sequel of Bears of Magic) which made a profit of 33.8mil at rank 5.

Best ranks were Quest for More Rum (or Quest for Rum 3 (though it retconned Quest for Rum 2)) my only rank 1.

But Bearplane (ranked 2 in the charts) will always hold a special place in the studio's history: the game that catapulted me out of the garrage by earning 2.4 mil while costing 74k. (same cost as Quest for Rum which made 326k).

I have had to go completly comercial lately...

DanceBear Revolution. A casual game for the whole family :p

At least it sold 2.5 mil units and made 35.5 mil in sales while costing 5mil to make. With an average review score of 8.5 it peaked at rank 3 in the sales charts.

It still is second in profit for me, behind Bears of Might (the sequel of Bears of Magic) which made a profit of 33.8mil at rank 5.

Best ranks were Quest for More Rum (or Quest for Rum 3 (though it retconned Quest for Rum 2)) my only rank 1.

But Bearplane (ranked 2 in the charts) will always hold a special place in the studio's history: the game that catapulted me out of the garrage by earning 2.4 mil while costing 74k. (same cost as Quest for Rum which made 326k).

Have you tried to tap the casual simulation market yet?  Something like Hibernation Simulator 2014?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Fifteen bucks. I had a decision to make. Alpha Protocol, or Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. Then and there, I knew what the decision had to be.

Don't get mad at me. I'm getting another fifteen dollars in a day or two, and then I'll buy Alpha Protocol.

Aside from that, I'm playing through the Mega Man X series.

Edited by Yes Man

"Well, there's many things they have forgotten sitting in their bowls. Friendship. The thrill of discovery. Love. Masturbation. The usual." -Dr. Mobius

Don't they pay YOU to play Alpha Protocol yet ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Remember the patch when you do get Alpha Protocol (if wherever you're getting it from doesn't have it already.) Sega has removed the authentication servers, so it's the only way you can play it.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Alpha Protocol is awesome. Next week I'll probably take a week off, and it's going to be AP, the BG2 LP, and MOTB. Oooh.