New RPG's you've heard of/played/own

Since we have a topic on old RPG's I thought we could do with one on newer trends in the industry.

I've come across several systems and settings I like that I haven't seen mentioned on these boards.

Savage Worlds 

Savage Worlds is a generic ruleset that is tailor made for pulpy adventures regardless of genre. Its pulpy because the heroes and villains are markedly stronger than regular enemies, which are designed to be be beaten in large numbers. 

The core of the system is in its combat called FFF, meaning Fast, Furious and Fun. And it truly is fast. It takes no more than an hour to get to grips with the rules which is a huge advantage when trying to draw in new players.

The system in a nutshell:

A character is formed by picking from a setting specified list of races and point buying traits, skills, edges (feats) and hindrances (flaws to be roleplayed) and calculating a few derived statistics.

• The 5 traits (Agility, Strength, Smarts, Spirit, Vigor) are represented in die types: d4, d6, d8, d10, d12. They all start off as d4 and can be improved up to d12, at the price of one point per die type. A beginning character gets 5 points to distribute.

• Skills follow the same system and can be improved up to the die type of the trait they're linked to, for one point, and more than that for two points. Example: Fighting is linked to Agility. A d8 in Agility means the player can buy up to d8 in Fighting for one point. A d10 in Fighting would cost that player two points.A new character gets 15 skill points to distribute.

• Edges and Hindrances are bought by balancing one with the other. Edges work like DnD feats in the sense that the provide some sort of specialized ability. Hindrances are negative modifiers or character flaws intended for roleplaying. Edges, not skills, are the crux of character customization and there are a lot of them.

• Derived statistics:
  • Charisma starts at 0 and can be modified with Edges and Hindrances.
  • Pace is a standard 6" of movement + 1d6 when running.
  • Parry is 2+half of Fighting. It represents the target number to hit the hero in combat.
  • Toughness is the damage threshold. Surpassing it inflicts a status effect or wounds. Its 2+half of Vigor+ armor.

• Tests and player advantages:
  • A test in the game is made by rolling the appropriate die for a trait or skill. The default target number is 4. A four and anything over is a success. Dice are exploding, meaning that rolling the maximum number of a die allows a reroll. Everty 4 points over the number need for success is a Raise, which brings an additional, beneficial effect. A roll can be modified with Bennies which are points used for rerolling an unfavorable die. 
  • Player characters (and major enemies) are Wild Cards. They can suffer more wounds and they roll a 1d6 Wild Die with every die roll they make and pick the better score. A double 1 on both dice is a critical failure.

• Miniatures:
  • All measurements in the game along with cut out templates, vehicle rules etc are intended for use with (any) miniatures. The use of figurines speeds up the system a lot, but it may be problematic for some. There are alternate rules offered - but in general it is best to go with figurines.

• Sub-Systems:
  • There is a magic subsystem, and simple systems used to tackle allies, chases, dramatic tasks, fear, hazards, verbal debates, mass battles, vehicles etc.

Congratulations. You know enough to play Savage Worlds now. There are more rules of course, but this is all you need to get started. 

The greatest merit of this system is that its adaptable to any genre and setting, its quick to play and easy to learn thus good for drawing in beginners. Its not very crunchy and for people who need deep mechanics to enjoy their roleplaying.

It can be found as a PDF or a hardcover on Pinnacle Entertainment's site along with a number of settings created for it.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

A useful review. But we're quite comfy with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Delta Green at the moment.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I like Delta Green but its hard for me to create games in that setting material when i don't live in any of those countries - and my players don't know enough of those details to really immerse themselves.

Which edition of Warhammer are you playing?

I might start something as well, so I'll keep that in mind.

Currently I'm poring over:

Fading Suns

Mouse Guard

Burning Wheel

One Ring

Savage Worlds

I like Fading Suns. Some nice mix of world set up...

And Eclipse Phase has a nicely in-depth look at potential transhumanism, and just how distance and science can shape politics and society. (Also, the main rulebook is free for download - although the actual hardback is very nice).

Edit: Yep, typo, that's what happens when sleep keeps getting interupted by car alarms and such during the night...

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I like Fading Stars. Some nice mix of world set up...

And Eclipse Phase has a nicely in-depth look at potential transhumanism, and just how distance and science can shape politics and society. (Also, the main rulebook is free for download - although the actual hardback is very nice).

You mean Fading Suns?

FS is the space opera. There isn't a story idea the setting can't justify and incorporate. A pity the system is horrible.

My pet project is a total conversion of FS to Savage Worlds. 

Eclipse Phase is nice, its obvious the authors are very passionate about the subject, but I think the rules presentation could be better and I'm not sure if the system isn't a bit too clunky for its own good.

I'm a fan of rich settings and simple systems.

Good luck getting a gaming group to learn a new system with a heavy rules set. 

Eclipse Phase is nice, its obvious the authors are very passionate about the subject, but I think the rules presentation could be better and I'm not sure if the system isn't a bit too clunky for its own good.

I think it's fine once you begin playing... but character generation can take hours, that's for sure.

Anybody heard about Whispering Vault?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I haven't. Give me your impression of it.

Surreal horror stuff in which the players assume the role of Stalkers, supernatural hunters protecting reality itself.

World in a nutshell: the Realm of Flesh is dreamed by the Aesthetics, beings of pure Essence, for the entertainment of the godlike Primal Powers. When such an Aesthetic hungers for the experiences of the Flesh and leaves its post, its absence creates an Enigma which warps reality around it in some peculiar manner; also, the former Aesthetic now becomes an Unbidden, slave of its sadistic pleasures and strange hungers. Stalkers are former humans, given power and understanding of the workings of the world by the Primal Powers, tasked with repairing Enigmas and catching the Unbidden.

Basically, it's a monster-of-the-week type of game, with the additional twist that Stalkers exist outside of time and space, and thus, there can be quite a variety between adventures, especially since every Unbidden has its unique fetishes and aversions, and every Enigma creates a different kind of reality warp - all subject to the whim of the GM.

The system is quite clunky (or rather it's very hard to succeed at task you're supposedly good at, even being a superhuman), but combat itself can be interesting, since players narrate their own dice rolls and there are some really attractive options among the special abilities. The majority of the published adventures generally are of good quality, using the strengths of the setting to great effect.

Works best with a GM and players who are fans of the surreal and body horror.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Sounds like a mix of Nobilis and WoD

I like Delta Green but its hard for me to create games in that setting material when i don't live in any of those countries - and my players don't know enough of those details to really immerse themselves.

Which edition of Warhammer are you playing?

First edition, baby. On paper.

Surely it would be pretty easy to adapt Delta Green to your circumstances? If, perhaps somewhat more politically resonant than 90s America.

What if UN Forces were actively siding with cultists?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I thought the second edition is considered to be better?

You might be onto something there, I sort of thumbed through Delta Green casually and thought it had too much US material to be of much use, but now that I think about it, since its a game of horror and conspiracy, they don't need to know much of the actual setting material to begin with.

The second edition is different. I think quite a few of us weren't all that convinced.

I like what they did with the magic system, the rest though I was rather unimpressed with. It is lacking something. I am not sure the first edition really had it, but with the second edition I found myself asking "So what exactly makes this Warhammer 2nd Ed and not just a system with the label stuck on?"

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Hmm that's something to keep in mind when I'm hunting for a secondhand copy on ebay.

I hear the newest FFG edition is terrible

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I have to admit I'm puzzled with FFG over it.

I mean, they have a fairly good system for all the WH40k rpg's they developed. Albeit, they keep altering some of the basic mechanics between them while keeping most of them. Psychic Rules, hell, even the Toxic trait of creatures is handled completely differently depending on whether you have Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Space Marine or whatever.

Then they go and produce some really weird mishmash that runs completely differently on Warhammer Fantasy...  Lots of pretty pictures, but feels quite horrible to get into mechanics wise.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hmm that's something to keep in mind when I'm hunting for a secondhand copy on ebay.

I hear the newest FFG edition is terrible

MonsterTV begs to differ.

The way that article is written, I am even less inclined to give that edition a chance :p

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Seems a bit condescending? While at the same time none of his points really have to do with the system. How much choice you have or have not is related far more to the group of people playing than the system.

I'd need a group to play with...

My hopes are with Keyrock doing an online Numenera Skype/Ventrilo/Sumthin Campaign for forum regulars :p

Yeah, that would be cool.  Hopefully we can actually make that happen.  Of course Numenera has to actually release first, then I have to get the book and learn the system, so it's all off in the semi-quasi-pseudo-near-esque future.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks