THE BIG CITIES: Citizens, Areas, Day/Night cycles.

perhaps instead of each npc pathing along the lines of a schedule, you could just have the day broken up by hour, and just have different npcs be where they are supposed to be at those times, thus each npc would have a general schedule group they would fit into, sorta like the courtesans in bg1&2 (which came out at night).  during the hour that they would be leaving or arriving at a place they would randomly decide to do that, and thus they wouldn't all run off at the exact same time, and it would appear that they had their very own schedule that they were following and pathing along.  this would mean less inputting of individual schedules, and less processing due to the game not tracking each npc.  the downside is that if person A wakes up between 5-6 and arrives at his work at 6-7, and person B wakes up 4-5 and arrives at shop C between 5-6 and then arrives at person A's work at 6-7, that person B might leave the shop later than person A leaves for work and arrive at person A's work before person A arrives even though person A has a shorter commute.  thus the player synchronizing to expected time tables becomes problematic, and thus closes a few very limited options (such as framing person B for person A's murder, as he should arrive shortly after person A arrives, which if you then kill him fast should make person B the first on scene).  the example is pretty specific, and anything that gets affected by this change probably would be just as specific as well, which would only come into play with dynamic events (such as in the example that first on scene would be suspect by guards, and not that this isn't a specific scripted quest/event, which would override the general way of schedules for this instance anyway).

This is most a great point. I think that this could work on all of the non important NPC's. I think it should have a balance of this hour by hour take, along with certain more important NPCs walking around. (However, it would seem a little weird standing at a corner to see someone vanish because its the hour they are meant to be at the tavern.

Excellent description and idea - a vote of confidence from me for certain.

Thank you sir. Tips hat.

perhaps instead of each npc pathing along the lines of a schedule, you could just have the day broken up by hour, and just have different npcs be where they are supposed to be at those times, thus each npc would have a general schedule group they would fit into, sorta like the courtesans in bg1&2 (which came out at night).  during the hour that they would be leaving or arriving at a place they would randomly decide to do that, and thus they wouldn't all run off at the exact same time, and it would appear that they had their very own schedule that they were following and pathing along.  this would mean less inputting of individual schedules, and less processing due to the game not tracking each npc.  the downside is that if person A wakes up between 5-6 and arrives at his work at 6-7, and person B wakes up 4-5 and arrives at shop C between 5-6 and then arrives at person A's work at 6-7, that person B might leave the shop later than person A leaves for work and arrive at person A's work before person A arrives even though person A has a shorter commute.  thus the player synchronizing to expected time tables becomes problematic, and thus closes a few very limited options (such as framing person B for person A's murder, as he should arrive shortly after person A arrives, which if you then kill him fast should make person B the first on scene).  the example is pretty specific, and anything that gets affected by this change probably would be just as specific as well, which would only come into play with dynamic events (such as in the example that first on scene would be suspect by guards, and not that this isn't a specific scripted quest/event, which would override the general way of schedules for this instance anyway).

This is most a great point. I think that this could work on all of the non important NPC's. I think it should have a balance of this hour by hour take, along with certain more important NPCs walking around. (However, it would seem a little weird standing at a corner to see someone vanish because its the hour they are meant to be at the tavern.

Excellent description and idea - a vote of confidence from me for certain.

Thank you sir. Tips hat.

i was thinking they would randomly walk to an area exit, before vanishing, via IE method of an npc leaving an area.

Day/Night cycle with NPC schedule designed to make city feel alive is good.  If they are design just to simulate realism, one would likely end up making the experience tedious instead of immersive.  Here are two simple.

Expending the resource to have NPC pathed from one location to another to maintain schedule may look realistic.   But I would rather have NPC spawn and despawn from their home, shop, tavern.  Give them different conversation selections in different areas and time.    I think it make them feel more alive and may get the players more involved with their daily life. 

Having everything close up at night may be realistic, but you end up with player getting to town intending to sell goods but have to wait till the morning.   Why not just give the player the option to sell the products at the NPC’s home if the player earn a certain reputation or complete certain quest for the PC.

Going off a tangent a bit, what would make the world even more alive is to change up the schedules of various NPCs if the player completes certain quest to simulate the trade and activity changes to the surrounding area due to the completion of certain quest.  Eg After clearing the bandit camp, NPC merchant X who is originally from Town A will spend 1 day of a week at City B to sell his ware or purchase supply that will open up different selection of goods at Merchant X shop.

I feel that the cities in most CRPG (especially the recent ones) had missed the point of city by just designing them to be a quest hub with shops.   Cities are dynamic, alive and for most people filled with more intrigue and adventure than the cave or ruin nearby.   cRPG cities got that in reverse where the interesting stuff is in a cave.   Anyway, that’s really another topic.

Edited by Aldereth