The Kickstarter Thread

Gorth

Character creator for the Mandate has gone online and

it

is

awesome

http://www.mandategame.com/charactercreator/

If this game does not get funded I will never forgive the gaming community

The character creator is okay, Unity plugin lags badly on my PC here though. Heh, hope they get some cash soon, watching their KS it's been largely going nowhere of late.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's a shame. Unity plugin works perfectly for me. But I probably get other problems with my browsers where you guys can surf effortlessly :)

But yeah, if the plugin lags, then that would rob the process of enjoyment.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I think I'll piss away $200 on it, regardless of the tool working in the browser here.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction

If this turns out as well as Riven I would be SO HAPPY!

Anyway, backed.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Appearing on the local news this morning:

castAR: the most versatile AR & VR system

Not exactly a catchy name, but their AR/VR product looks pretty interesting. Plus there's a clip-on model. I could just picture using this in PnP RPG sessions...

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Here's a Wired article published yesterday (10/23):

Over Budget, Behind Schedule: What's Up With Gaming's Biggest Kickstarters?

To see them all, click on the 'Next' link or the picture icons. There are summaries for Broken Age, Wasteland 2, The Banner Saga, Shadowrun Returns, Planetary Annihilation, Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse, Homestuck Adventure Game, Project Eternity, Star Citizen, and Godus.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Here's a Wired article published yesterday (10/23):

Over Budget, Behind Schedule: What's Up With Gaming's Biggest Kickstarters?

To see them all, click on the 'Next' link or the picture icons. There are summaries for Broken Age, Wasteland 2, The Banner Saga, Shadowrun Returns, Planetary Annihilation, Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse, Homestuck Adventure Game, Project Eternity, Star Citizen, and Godus.

While reading through the comments, I saw another point that I see come up a lot which simply isn't true:

"Sure the money comes from the fans, but when it comes down to the "classical method" the money comes from investors.

These investors want to see revenue and thus have a say in whats being made. Even if they themselves aren't well versed in the gaming world. So while a decent portion of the revenue will be "profit" instead of repayment to the investor. There are also other things to consider."

For a publicly traded company, the investors typically do not affect the cash flow of the company.  In fact, the money usually just trades hands among investors.  The only time a company's cash flow will directly interact with the investors is when it issues new stock, buys back existing stock, or issues a dividend (which most game companies that I am aware of do not do).

Come on, people.

I haven't seen the first ep yet, but it's here in case you're interested.

It took me a while to realize where I'd seen the guy who's playing Sulu, before. :lol: omg, that made me laugh.

...I dunno...the sets/sounds are good, some of the actors mannerisms are quite good (Kirk's tilting of the head and bemused expression while sitting in the chair, stuff like that) and many other tiny touches feel a lot like the old series. But I just ... can't get used to someone else's face/voice in those roles. It's one thing to make a totally new CGI/effects film ala the new ST movies, but I mean different people on the ST:OS bridge/sets. I keep waiting for the SNL punchline or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It looks amazing but I don't understand anything that's happening in the trailer.  Reading a bit of the description, you basically get to play a vagrant and...  umm...  yeah.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You Are Not The Hero

This one slipped past me before - platformer RPG where you live the life of an NPC trying to get by in a hostile world and retrieve the pendant stolen when a bunch of hoodlums masquerading as "heroes" looted your house

So long as it doesn't go over the top with the mockery of standard RPG tropes, the game concept looks good

Edited by TSBasilisk
  • Like 1

You Are Not The Hero

This one slipped past me before - platformer RPG where you live the life of an NPC trying to get by in a hostile world and retrieve the pendant stolen when a bunch of hoodlums masquerading as "heroes" looted your house

So long as it doesn't go over the top with the mockery of standard RPG tropes, the game concept looks good

I saw that one, have been contemplating throwing them a few bucks.  I like the mocking RPG tropes thing and it looks like a nice blend of jRPG and Zelda.  As long as they keep the mockery lighthearted, I think it could be cool.  Their next stretch goal is an extra chapter where you cross over into the "real world".  That kind of blatant 4th wall breaking could go really right or really wrong.  Of course, I've never heard of any of these people so I have no idea whether they can actually make a game.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Biggest problem of Kickstarter for me: short term excitement vs long term apathy.

This is somewhat true, but I've waited several years for many different games funded by publishers. Kickstarter isn't very different for me personally. All my backed projects have been delayed, but mostly for the better. All of them got a lot more funds than they were expecting and they could do more with the game.

I waited years for Dreamfall Chapters, and if not for the occasional Divinity Original Sin update in my mail box reminding me I contributed to Kickstarter somewhere in the distant past I would've already completely forgotten about it.

Edited by Drudanae

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.