The Kickstarter Thread

Gorth

Ghost Song: A Journey of Hope

An interesting looking sci-fi metroidvania

This looks like about as Metroid clone as Metroid clone gets.  I'm not against being influenced by one of my favorite game series ever and using some of its design ideas, but some of the stuff looks like it was ripped straight out of Metroid, like the spinning jump, the doors, and some of the enemies.  Hopefully much of the art is placeholder and will be revamped in a more unique style with the funding, otherwise I could see an incoming lawsuit.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well Jim Walls' Kickstarter died a sad death. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/precinctgame/precinct

I backed it on their website. http://fund.precinctgame.com/

$1 gets you the game. Just need 393,556 more people to donate a buck, and it's good to go.

Man, I really want this one to happen. There aren't enough good police games out there. I'll eventually give them what I planned on giving them for the Kickstarter.

• Like 1

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Well Jim Walls' Kickstarter died a sad death. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/precinctgame/precinct

I backed it on their website. http://fund.precinctgame.com/

$1 gets you the game. Just need 393,556 more people to donate a buck, and it's good to go.

Man, I really want this one to happen. There aren't enough good police games out there. I'll eventually give them what I planned on giving them for the Kickstarter.

I'll almost certainly back it on their website too.  I share your sentiment about police games, and I mean police games where you follow procedure and do detective work, not just shooters where you happen to be wearing a badge.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yep, it would be nice to have another PQ style game. This one will have action sequences - shootouts, hand to hand combat. I guess QTE-bonanza ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yep, it would be nice to have another PQ style game. This one will have action sequences - shootouts, hand to hand combat. I guess QTE-bonanza ?

/shudders

There was a time when I didn't hate QTEs (I disliked them, just didn't hate them), then I played the Lara Croft Murder Simulator.  Ugh, I hope they keep the QTEs to a minimum.  I unfortunately don't envision hand to hand happening any other way, unless they splurge for developing and implementing a full fledged combat system, which seems unlikely for a low-budget title where combat is (hopefully) a very small part of the game.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I wonder how they'll handle QTE's. Will they just be tied in to the story as a bit of an upgrade to what they could do with the old Sierra engines, or will they add in random events kind of like Spiderman 2 and make it sandboxy?

I'll almost certainly back it on their website too.  I share your sentiment about police games, and I mean police games where you follow procedure and do detective work, not just shooters where you happen to be wearing a badge.

The CSI's, NCIS, Cognition... I'm happy to take anything kind of like what the PQs/Blue Force were.

The only good "cop" shooter I think I've played is Max Payne.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I haven't given this much thought - but was wondering if it's better to donate to a kickstarter after it has finished through Paypal?  Assuming it hits it's goal, then wouldn't they get more money from paypal as the percentage wouldn't be taken from the total via Amazon/Kickstarter (or whatever else expense) is taked on?.

The Paypal cut is probably smaller, true, which may be advantageous if the scenario is taken in isolation. Momentum's a funny thing though, and it may be that the snowball effect of having a larger main campaign more than cancels that out. I'd say the scenario may be particularly true of stretch goals for example, for backers there's probably that visceral feeling of knocking over goal after goal in quick time, which encourages more spending than they might otherwise do in a post-campaign downtime.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The project caught my attention but, sadly, I’m not a fan of these kinds of games, I mean, at least, the gameplay.  :(

Playing L.A. Noire little by little (having already took months to go through the story missions).  Gameplay-wise, I found it a mixed bug.  Investigation sequences are O.K. although it’s basically a fixated puzzle game, where, like QTE, the players need to find correct answers and do correct inputs pre-determined by the designers, which is the main reason why I’m not into point’n click adventure games in general, despite the fact that I still enjoy detective stories.  I even found Rockstar’s signature gameplay of driving and shooting in a sandboxed “town” a good change even if it does not always play well with the P&C format.  After all, I can keep playing the game mostly because the well-captured feel of old films, I guess.  Also, I happen to have played Swat4 simply because of Irrational involvement but found quite a nice game, which requires planning and captures the tension of law enforcement tasks.

With publishers taking notice of the success of Kickstarter, I wonder when the nostalgia farming will begin en masse. Activision reviving Sierra and doing 500k-1 million budget adventure games or 3-5 million RPGs would be awesome. Maybe see some Krondor-esque games or an Arcanum sequel

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Paypal cut is probably smaller, true, which may be advantageous if the scenario is taken in isolation. Momentum's a funny thing though, and it may be that the snowball effect of having a larger main campaign more than cancels that out. I'd say the scenario may be particularly true of stretch goals for example, for backers there's probably that visceral feeling of knocking over goal after goal in quick time, which encourages more spending than they might otherwise do in a post-campaign downtime.

It's just a shame that a game like Shadowrun Returns saw 35% of money raised go to "tax" http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/197132/Qamp_A_Learning_from_Shadowrun_Returns_Kickstarter_success.php

Then you get fans saying they'll only buy it in the Steam sale bundled with DLC (although I heard somewhere that Steam pays the difference to original price?).  So nostalgia seems to be expensive - and if publishers are getting the royalties I'm sceptical of them seeing the need to add to the game financially.

I hope the IP developed by the the developers stays with them.  I donated to Shadowrun and loved every minute of it, but it will be interesting to see what other developers come up with with different budgets and time.

With publishers taking notice of the success of Kickstarter, I wonder when the nostalgia farming will begin en masse. Activision reviving Sierra and doing 500k-1 million budget adventure games or 3-5 million RPGs would be awesome. Maybe see some Krondor-esque games or an Arcanum sequel

I wouldn't have a problem with that...

It's just a shame that a game like Shadowrun Returns saw 35% of money raised go to "tax" http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/197132/Qamp_A_Learning_from_Shadowrun_Returns_Kickstarter_success.php

Yes, kind of a shocker that. It pays to choose your Kickstarter rewards with care.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

In our case the deductions were: Kickstarter and Amazon's share, Microsoft’s royalty, the production cost of all the physical rewards (books, t-shirts, boxes, dog tags, etc.), and the cost of picking, packing and shipping all those rewards. When you add all that up it represents over 35 percent of the money raised.

It seems odd to me that Microsoft would take a portion of the Kickstarter funds. I would think they would either get an upfront fee or something on the backend or both.

Maybe they are counting each copy promised in the Kickstarter as a sale or something and had to give a portion of that. Still seems weird to me but I think that I'm still skeptical of their business dealings since the whole DRM thing

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I think the point is that MS apparently took a portion of what really is meant to be the capital, as opposed to perhaps a more traditional deal of taking a cut of sales revenue. Of course, the nature of reward-based crowdfunding blurs that line between funding and takings, which makes the idea of the cut being an amount for every backer-assigned copy quite likely.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Precinct has switched over from WePay, to PayPal, in case you've already donated or wish to donate. There's some sort of glitch right now with those of us whom have already donated, thinking it's already got it or something. For instance, when I wanted to increase my pledge, I had to add how mush I wanted to increase it by, then do the whole amount through PayPal, instead of typing out the total amount I wanted to donate for now. They're working on it.

Also, if you live in the US, you can do a straight up credit card deal without going through PayPal if you wish.

http://fund.precinctgame.com/

They're at $9,614/$25,000 for the prototype tier as of now.

Edited by babaganoosh13

Well, if anyone here a fan of JRPGs, then you may want to look at project phoenix.  It has some of the top Japanese developers in the business.  Seems like it will have no trouble reaching its funding goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent

I wonder why they can't announce superstar lead programmer and art supervisor that will blow everybody's socks off?  If they let the name slip will the Yakuza have them offed or something?

On a more serious note, there is a definite lack of jRPG on PC so good luck to this project.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

From what I understand, it maybe that they aren't formally announced because they haven't formally agreed because formally, nobody has any money? Or perhaps, these developers are working with other companies full time at the moment.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

Project Phoenix is already well past its goal and wandering into stretch goal territory in its first day.  This one could get into the million+ territory.  I'm still trying to decipher how the game will play.  What I'm envisioning is something along the lines of Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles, but in real-time.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸