Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #50: So... Project Eternity!

project eternity update josh sawyer faq

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I believe he was joking ;)

Helm

Helm

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 714 posts

IIRC It's just BG2 he doesn't like.

Well, they are quite similar. BG2 + ToB is just generally regarded as being even better than BG1.

But oh well. Wut eva.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8979 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I demand fuchsia colored crates and rainbow hued plumes.

Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1328 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
yeh, 'nature' not poking you in the eye with garish pinkish and yellowish tinges everywhere is just welcome. Even if that sort of goes against the Baldur's Gate heritage.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, they are quite similar. BG2 + ToB is just generally regarded as being even better than BG1.

But oh well. Wut eva.

Yeah they're similar, but not really I guess. Tonally they have a completely different feel.

BG1 has a different style of dialogue and character writing and is less linear; Didn't have a quest every 20 metres in game etc. BG also had better atmosphere I guess?

I do agree that it is strange to not like both, perhaps there's something more to it than that (David Gaider).

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4139 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

But oh well. Wut eva.

The issues he has with BGII mostly apply to it alone

I really disliked most of the CNPCs, I really disliked being forced to go find Imoen, I really disliked the style of dialogue, and I really disliked being flooded with a million quests by every shmoe on the streets of Athkatla. Basically, there wasn't a whole lot I did like about it.

Also be aware that that post is more than 7 years old now.

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I only caught this conquistador vibe now. I dig it. It gives the setting a dynamic tension that's different from most fantasy settings.

Also, cool aumaua head. Also digging the idea of fantasy Polynesians. Really happy to get these twists on generic western pseudo-medieval fantasy; I did not expect that when backing the project and I salute Obsidian for having the stones to depart from the BG-IWD formula in this respect.
  • Ristora likes this

Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Grey Eminence of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Nice update, now I can refer to this update when people ask me what Project Eternity is about. I also like the new Arcanum playthrough video release schedule.

Jhonrock

Jhonrock

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hey, talking about party members AI, can we expect some kind of control system like the one used to control party behavior in Dragon Age?

For me, that system was perfect! I loved the way that i could specify the companion response for almost all kind of situation he/she could encounter in battle.

If you fight a strong enemy, do this and that; if you fight a weak enemy, do this and that; before you engage an enemy, do this and that; if the HP of a party member reach X%, do this and that... and so on.

I never had any problem with my party in that game, the AI control was so good that i hardly needed to be giving orders to my party all the time.

So, i think that a system like that, with this high level of control, could fit very well with PE. You could make some pre-made scripts of AI behavior to player to choose (like the ones in Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale), and make an option to player make his own scripts (like in Dragon Age).

• JFSOCC likes this

Lysen

Lysen

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The central character in the story is a newcomer to the Dyrwood, a man or woman who is caught up in a bizarre supernatural phenomenon.  This event puts them in a difficult position, where they must explore the new world to solve a series of problems that have been thrust upon them.

So I can't be a native, Glanfathan elf for example?

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3040 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Got to say this cheered my whole day up, thank you for using the fast travel and the reminder of the strong goals you're aiming for.

Gumbercules

Gumbercules

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 234 posts

Those Aumaua heads look great! I was critical of the Aumaua concept art posted previously, but these do a really good job of looking weird and non-human yet not ugly. Also, kudos for avoiding the common fantasy trope of making the males look really alien and weird but then relegating the females to modern human standards of beauty. One thing I'm still not clear about: are those things on their heads supposed to be hair formed into dreads, or are those some type of fleshy tentacles?

I'm wondering, are the Afro-Italian Vailians mentioned previously one of the three human ethnicities, and will the other two feature a similarly diverse blend of real-world influences? I think it's a great way to take inspiration from history without being forced into a set path, and it would be a shame if the other ethnicities were more standard:

"So for this ethnicity over here, we took inspiration from a variety of southern European and north/eastern African cultures to create a blend we feel is fresh and interesting."

"What about those guys over there?"

'Eh, those are the same Germanic white dudes you see in 99% of fantasy."

GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

As some other people noted on Kickstarter, the fact that you will be offering only Steam and GOG options is a bit limiting us Linux players at the moment. If GOG does finally get around to supporting Linux (I do hope so, and there is still time for them to do so), then it's all fine, but if not... And I can't use Steam since it's DRM and I don't agree with their subscriber agreement. So if it stays that way, it equates to not geting a Linux version at all... It would be nice if there was a third option, like a direct download, or Desura, or you managing to convince GOG to distribute the Linux binaries for the Kickstarter backers.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think the version that comes with the physical copy is DRM free too correct ?

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2644 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

As some other people noted on Kickstarter, the fact that you will be offering only Steam and GOG options is a bit limiting us Linux players at the moment. If GOG does finally get around to supporting Linux (I do hope so, and there is still time for them to do so), then it's all fine, but if not... And I can't use Steam since it's DRM and I don't agree with their subscriber agreement. So if it stays that way, it equates to not geting a Linux version at all... It would be nice if there was a third option, like a direct download, or Desura, or you managing to convince GOG to distribute the Linux binaries for the Kickstarter backers.

They have stated that there will be DRM free version on Linux too, they hope that GOG will expand to linux, but if not, they will find another solution.

• kjrubberducky likes this

GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

They have stated that there will be DRM free version on Linux too, they hope that GOG will expand to linux, but if not, they will find another solution.

Ah, all right, good to know.

Mebahell

Mebahell

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The Aumaua looks badass!

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4938 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thank you for the clearly written FAQ. It added several details I don't think I've seen before, particularly the ethnicities. The Aumaua heads are interesting and nicely formed, although the polygons are visible in the hair. Can't wait to see it with the texture added! :)

Wyrm

Wyrm

Grand Dragon of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The Aumaua heads have gotten me more interested in the race as a potential character...

and for aumaua, Island and Coastal

Does this mean that Aumaua are limited to large, salt-water, aquatic origins (sea/ocean)?

Or is there potential for freshwater dwelling Aumaua?

I'm thinking about being the P:E "Swamp Thing"! :nuke:

Edited by Wyrm, 17 April 2013 - 07:57 AM.

balladur's gates

balladur's gates

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts

I hope this is not a kind of "Avatar" story...

Orcs will miss me.

• Ristora likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, update, josh sawyer, faq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users