Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #50: So... Project Eternity!

project eternity update josh sawyer faq

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

Odglok

Odglok

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Haven't read any of the replies, but just wanted to say that I like these aumaua models much more than the earlier concept art. I find myself really wanting to know more about this race and the setting in general. Good work!

• SunBroSolaire likes this

Lasweetlife

Lasweetlife

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Haven't read any of the replies, but just wanted to say that I like these aumaua models much more than the earlier concept art. I find myself really wanting to know more about this race and the setting in general. Good work!

I have to second this. I have pretty much already created my aumaua godlike cipher PC in my imagination :)

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5055 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm getting the sense that this game will heavily draw from early colonial themes, which is quite exciting. Fantasy Spain and Portugal try to carve up the secrets of the fantasy Maya. Or recover the lost secret of the fantasy Anasazi. Or something like that, though for some reason it seems a little more of a South/Central American vibe than a colonial Mexico one. Very excited. Lot's of room for great plots and should provide many sides to choose from!

I'm not quite sure how to feel about that. Colonialism has a lot of strongly negative connotations in the modern world, so the theme may not necessarily resonate well. Plus you lose the early architectural (and part of the cultural) history of the dominant power. I guess we'll see how it works out...

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

@rjshae: The negative connotations are kind of the point. I doubt we're going to see enlightened Vailians bringing civilization, decency, and the true faith to the benighted pagan hordes, Noble Savages, or all that commotion. Nor, I think, the equally obvious counter-narrative. I think we're going to see something much more nuanced, with people and cultures acting according to their own motives, and see where that takes us. Colonialism is a really good lens to look at all that. We have high adventure, exploration, discovery, contact of cultures; we also have genocide, rapine, pillage. And I'm sure we have cooperation, trade, and all that commotion too, especially if -- as it appears -- the technology disparity between the colonizers and the colonized isn't quite as big as between the gunpowder-breastplate-and-cavalry Conquistadors and the Neolithic Aztec, Inca, and others.

• rjshae, khango, Malekith and 2 others like this

Ninjerk

Ninjerk

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

To touch on a point from a page or two back, I suspect the audience that mainstream RPG makers cater to demands a fairly simplistic view on fictional romances (to go along with binary morality/ethics system and "save the world" plot).

I'm hopeful there will be some aspect of the struggle between individualism vs. collectivism.  I've heard more than one man from my parents' generation (my father included) talk about the disparity between being able to relate with an individual of another race (primarily as it related to WASP v. African-descended blacks) when it was just the two of them vs. the race riots that happened in their high schools where you essentially HAD to band together with the people who looked like you.

I don't remember if this is present in classic "colonial fiction" (e.g. "Heart of Darkness," "Things Fall Apart(?)" whatever the name of the Chinua Achebe book.

In regards to the general idea expressed earlier in the thread of, "Am I getting the content I kickstarted for?"  I would be rather thrilled to be surprised by the end result of a game.  For the last couple of years, I have had problems playing a game longer than a couple of hours because as soon as they lay out their core game mechanics I feel like I can see the entire game to the end and get bored immediately.  I'm more excited about T:ToN in this regard (even though, ironically, I haven't donated anything to it because I'm broke).

Azrayel

Azrayel

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts

Hey was waiting for this, didn't realize it'd be Wed-- oh hey it was posted 11:something P.M. on...

OK though seriously, it was fine then. But this week as well? Y'all, just shift this stuff to Wednesdays and get to bed sooner. All good internet things happen Wednesday anyways-- there's no use in fighting it, give in to the ebb and flow of the inter-souls...

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

update today rite ?

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2240 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Bump!

I've been pondering...

Ethnicity and culture are separate characteristics in the game.  Individual meadow folk can be from the Vailian Republics just as coastal aumaua can be from Aedyr.  The common-name descriptions of ethnicities don't restrict where they can be from.  Literally every ethnicity in our race document has a bit-by-bit description of what physical characteristics they have, including facial features, skin tones, hair colors (and textures), eye colors (and shapes), etc.  E.g., only savannah folk, pale elves, and boreal dwarves have epicanthic folds.  Of those, only boreal dwarves have them consistently.

Does that mean it is possible to play as (or meet NPC's that are) ocean folk but do not have the dark skin complexion? Or, vice versa, savannah and meadow folk with the dark skin complexion?

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2240 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Also, can you give a surname to your character?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, update, josh sawyer, faq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users