Season 4 blu-ray release of Star Trek: The Next Generation today, woot! 

Thanks to TrekCore.com for the image. Top row is the uneven color-timing of standard definition across four episodes. 

Bottom row is remastered, high definition. Engage!

tngs4-review-colorcomparisonchart-strip_

As the tailor said to the repairman, make it sew...

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The consistency is good/nice, but it looks a little on the red side to me. On my monitor. TV-colors ... always too red, too green, or occasionally, too blue. Especially fleshtones.

Some day I'll have to buy the whole series on Blu-Ray ... but my Ssn 5-7 DVD's are still fine. The older seasons I haven't bothered to buy yet...well, unless you count my VHS tapes. :disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I just watched the first season of Dollhouse. Fun show. Science channel had it as part of Joss Whedon weekend and I DVRed the whole thing.

Now to find the cheapest way I can watch the second season.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just watched the first season of Dollhouse. Fun show. Science channel had it as part of Joss Whedon weekend and I DVRed the whole thing.

Now to find the cheapest way I can watch the second season.

I have to warn you, Dollhouse was great  but towards the end the show was cancelled and the whole thing ends on a giant annoying cliffhanger. 

Edited by Serrano

Last night tried the Showtime series: Ray Donovan.

First episode is the chr. and situation set up (lots of chrs, lots of situations, one big conflict setup). Second episode gets more focused. Not a bright happy show. ;) Occasionally darkly humorous. I can easily see this being a fave/one I keep up with regularly. Good main and recurring cast helps. Looking forward to seeing more.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've caught the first two episodes of that as well. Jon Voights character is creepy.

Finished a rewatch of Carnivalé the other day. It never gets old.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Watching The Children on the BBC iplayer. Low budget but it's solid shocks. Highly recommended if you've ever looked at somebody's kid and been just little bit scared by their apparent psychotic streak.

EDIT: Ended weaker than I'd hoped. But still the first scare I've had from a film in years.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The next Doctor revealed!

Peter Capaldi

Looks like a good choice.

• Like 1

Sounds a bit cowardly to me. A safe play. I'd prefer to see less well known actors coming in.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

They did that with Matt... aaaaaand...

it wasn't good.

I dunno, something about Matt is off. Maybe the subtlety.

I guess I can understand you not liking him. But I think that's more to do with the scripts than him. I think he plays them well.

-Elwood Blues

I'd say that Matt Smith is one of the better doctors, but Moffat is a **** showrunner.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

True, Moffat didn't really develop the Eleventh that much.

He's gone from a happy chap to a... slightly less happy chap? At the end of 7th season.

Contrast that to:

10th: From a jolly lovebird to a Master incarnate with severe fear of regeneration (Water of Mars)
9th: From an angry, PTSD war veteran (he did yell "ape" to Rose even) to a warm, dancing lover.

But maybe I was too hard on both on them, I do still look forward to watching the 50th anniversary and Christmas special  :dancing:

I think one of the odd things to get used to with Matt Smith was how.. joyfully elastic faced and rubbery physicality he brought to the role. It was very much a return to that childish exuberance of being alive. That slowly got toned down over his four year run.

Now they're going for the tall, thin, old Doctor. And that makes it hard to pull in a relative unknown for the role if you're looking at "old actors".

Of course, the really weird thing for me is that they've picked an actor who played a named character in a Doctor Who episode from Tenants run, and who also had that relatively "major" character in Torchwood's "Children of Earth" mini-season.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Checking his IMDB page, I think its kind of funny he's credited in World War Z as W.H.O. Doctor.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

They reuse actors pretty frequently- 2/3 of the Torchwood emplyees, even excluding Jack, were previously on Who playing different (or later retconned) people, Martha was, Amy was too (non speaking though, iirc). It's certainly not my favourite aspect of their casting though.

I preferred Smith to either of the two modern doctors (albeit Eccleston got little chance with the short time and frequently dreadful scripts), and Moffatt as a show runner to Davies. I got heartily sick of 'love conquers all' endings and schmaltz, and lots of set up for no delivery. Plus many of the best Davies era episodes were written by Moffatt. Moffatt only really failed with the second part of the latest season and that largely because he clearly did not have much defined character for Clara (whose actor is perfectly fine) so relied on "she's mysterious!" as a hook, which wasn't enough. Should have made it Victorian Clara or Ep1 Clara or any other Clara other than Modern Clara, having the companions nearly all be women from contemporary UK is getting noticeably stale.

My immediate thought on Capaldi was that he was fairly close to John Hurt in general appearance- both older, and quite thin and gaunt in appearance.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

I'm expecting a mean Doctor.

Right wing doctor. Just strolls around telling people to grow up.

-Elwood Blues

Although the Peter Davison comment on his daughter's wedding was somewhat amusing.  "So my daughter is marrying David Tenant, who is playing a later version of a character I played. And she played his daughter so that makes it even more confusing when I had to give the father of the bride speech...."

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Right wing doctor. Just strolls around telling people to grow up.

Does he have a cane and monocle?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

At least it would give some novel tropes to work with.

EDIT: It would also bring in Peter Capaldi's famous swearing.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

Couple more Ray Donovan episodes ... Jon Voight is rather creepy, and they keep implying how "bad" he is, and yet at times he still seems kinda sympathetic. Emphasis on kinda. :lol: It's a good role for him, and the show is definitely the best (imo) when it focuses on Ray and his father's activities. The crippled boxer brother is good too.

As usual, the wife character has little to do (so far) but be the nagging thorn in the husband's side. The actress does well with the role, however.