If I watch it like I read the book I'll watch two and a half episodes then give up on it and donate it to the local library :lol:

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Y'know, I bought some cheap hardcover of that book back when (uneven page edges)....but I never got around to reading it. I suspect I got about 30 pages in before I became distracted and never picked it back up again. I wonder if I still have it somewhere.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I really need to watch Game of Thrones some day. I have the first book in paperback format, but couldn't make it past the first 100 pages.

My mental faculties are probably deteriorating fast when I prefer David Gemmel to that stuff.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Game of Thrones takes more than half the novel to start to get into it. I felt the same way but stuck it out and by the end desperately wanted the 2nd book. But at the time, I still had almost a 2 year wait or something, and by then I'd forgotten most of it. Didn't want to re-read it and figured I wouldn't get the sequels without doing so. So never went back. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I really need to watch Game of Thrones some day. I have the first book in paperback format, but couldn't make it past the first 100 pages.

My mental faculties are probably deteriorating fast when I prefer David Gemmel to that stuff.

Game of Thrones takes more than half the novel to start to get into it. I felt the same way but stuck it out and by the end desperately wanted the 2nd book. But at the time, I still had almost a 2 year wait or something, and by then I'd forgotten most of it. Didn't want to re-read it and figured I wouldn't get the sequels without doing so. So never went back. :lol:

Yes, I couldn't get into the book either; I'm not sure why. But I thoroughly enjoyed the TV series; it's one of the few I have in blu-ray. Sean Bean sold it for me--one of my favorite actors. The remainder of the cast is generally top notch as well. Just wish they had more episodes per season...

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Looking back, the first Game of Thrones was the best for me because it was fairly tight woven and had a clear conclusion, even though it was a pretty bleak way to end it.

The storylines are pretty messy right now, I just hope we don't get any new characters when the next book comes out, which will probably be in 10 years or so.

I like the show but they focus a lot on the romances, more than I recall in the book.  I don't even remember the Rob Stark wedding, I swear he just showed up with her at some point in the books.  I'm excited to see how certain events are handled in the show though, and as I watch the actors I keep picturing them in future scenes.  They really cast the heck out of that show, Tyrion is the best but even the kids are engaging.  Arya Stark is probably my second favorite, I can't wait until she reaches Braavos.

Doctor Who was in top form last Saturday.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yes, I couldn't get into the book either; I'm not sure why. But I thoroughly enjoyed the TV series; it's one of the few I have in blu-ray. Sean Bean sold it for me--one of my favorite actors. The remainder of the cast is generally top notch as well. Just wish they had more episodes per season...

I liked the 1st season, but then lost interest early in the 2nd. It just became too many plot strings with too little time spent on each one. I don't tend to like neck whiplash shows. Also, I learned that The Wall stuff still hasn't been dealt with much even in the books, and that was largely the string I was interested in. :lol:

There were three Dr.'s where I watched a number of their episodes. Tom Baker (still my fave), Christopher Eccleston, and David Tennant. Just the other day I believe I saw my first one with the current/most recent Dr. He seemed ok. But overall I haven't followed that series too much. I find it difficult to in the States...altho it's easier these days than it was in the 70's. ;)

Matt Smith isn't bad, he's no David Tennant though. Canada its easy to follow. Christopher Eccleston season was on CBC on Mondays I think, then the first David Tennant season went to Space on Saturdays and Dr Who has been there ever since. Super easy with a PVR.

I tried watching some classic Who on Netflix, but its really hard to get into.

On a related note, I hope if they ever get around to continuing Torchwood, they keep it to smaller arcs. Children of Earth was awesome, Miracle Day should have been 6 episodes instead of 12.

Unrelated, I hope History gets more stuff like Vikings. I'm really enjoying it, and it makes more sense on the channel than more Pawn Stars spinoffs.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I caught the first of this season on iplayer yesterday evening. he's not Dr Who any more. He's simply Hipster Man, superhero. And the script writers seem to have resigned themselves to the sonic wand device.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have to be honest I don't understand how anyone who reads fantasy can say they couldn't get into the Game of Thrones books :unsure: , I have convinced people who don't even read fantasy to read the books and they are now addicted to them. They really are the best fantasy series I have ever read and they are vastly superior to the TV series, as books tend to be. And for the record the TV series is excellent but the books offer a much more complex and nuanced view of the Game of Thrones world, you also get to understand and identify with the characters in a much more personal level than the TV series.

But I am glad people are enjoying the TV series :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have to be honest I don't understand how anyone who reads fantasy can say they couldn't get into the Game of Thrones books :unsure: , I have convinced people who don't even read fantasy to read the books and they are now addicted to them. They really are the best fantasy series I have ever read and they are vastly superior to the TV series, as books tend to be. And for the record the TV series is excellent but the books are offer a much more complex and nuanced view of the Game of Thrones world, you also get to understand and identify with the characters in a much more personal level than the TV series.

But I am glad people are enjoying the TV series :)

It took me 6 months to read the first half of Game of Thrones, but at some point something clicked and now its my favorite series.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

i found Game of Thrones purely by accident

i've always been a big reader, and so whenever my mother goes to library book sales she just picks up a whole bunch of books she thinks i might like

if i don't, then who cares - they only cost like 50 cents

i like it mainly because i've read so many fantasy novels in the past and i got so sick of the cliche farmboy/orphan hero who happens to be the object of a prophecy and the saviour of the world etc etc

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I caught the first of this season on iplayer yesterday evening. he's not Dr Who any more. He's simply Hipster Man, superhero. And the script writers seem to have resigned themselves to the sonic wand device.

Trust me, this episode was a good break from what was otherwise a low-point season for the series.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

For some fun british Sci-Fi have you guys seen the Misfits? It's pretty good.. 4 juvenile delinquents are given supernatural powers by accident..

It has been recommended to me several times but I have never watched it. Where could I watch it for free?

For some fun british Sci-Fi have you guys seen the Misfits? It's pretty good.. 4 juvenile delinquents are given supernatural powers by accident..

It has been recommended to me several times but I have never watched it. Where could I watch it for free?

I believe it is on Hulu.

Saw one of the new episodes of Who, there was a middle aged ginger mockney lady screeching like the last vulture at the corpse, and some gurning, bumbling male model accompanying her. I retired to my study.

The 10th series of Red Dwarf wasn't bad, better than every series since 6.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Saw one of the new episodes of Who, there was a middle aged ginger mockney lady screeching like the last vulture at the corpse, and some gurning, bumbling male model accompanying her. I retired to my study.

The 10th series of Red Dwarf wasn't bad, better than every series since 6.

I believe the overemphasis on Cristopher Ecclestone's gurning is also lamented - at considerable length - by Armando Ianucci.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I learned a new word today! "Gurning." See, the internet is useful!

...and I liked Ecclestone (how do you even pronounce that name anyway). Not as much as the other two, but for some reason I did.

I believe it is on Hulu.

I'm seeing in on Netflix - where they also have Black Books!! (seriously see this if you haven't! it's on youtube)

Fortune favors the bald.