Dog?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Dog?

• Yes, commerepuppypuppy!! Drop that arm and gimme a kiss!
    • No! Go away you filthy mutt!!
    • How about a cat?

Dogs are superior to cats in every way, especially in cuteness.

I'd debate that, but what would be the point. It's all subjective. We love what we love. Also, dwarf hamsters can beat both in terms of cuteness. ;)

That all said, perhaps we can get back on topic a bit now....save the specific cats vs. dogs for some other thread.

I did mean what I said early on tho ... I'd like to see more cats in rpg's, because I'm tired of there always been nothing but dog/wolf like creatures. Doesn't mean dogs can't be in the game (as familiar, pet, companion, wandering town animal, whatever)....I just want cats too.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I must have odd cats, because I've had a few that fetch and all of them come when "called."

I don't have pets currently, but when I did my cats would come when I called him/her too.

The two cats socialized with each other and the dog.

The big difference is that the dog seemed more protective than the cats when strangers came around (mind you one of our cats did jump over a fence onto the back of a loose doberman that was barking at it and rode it like a bronco through the front yard, so I'm not sure I'd have tested the theory. :) )

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What about a pet hawk?  With every map change it could just fly in and perch somewhere, only occasionally moving to stike at a sneaking rogue or something.  More low-profile and out of the way than your standard pet fare.

I've already got a party of (up to) six - any more is just a mob hogging my screen real estate and making an ugly mess of pathing.  No thanks.

Maybe a flying scorpion?  Part spider, part wasp, part bottom-dwelling sea creature with claws, 100% nightmare. :thumbsup:

Edited by Pipyui

What about a pet hawk?  With every map change it could just fly in and perch somewhere, only occasionally moving to stike at a sneaking rogue or something.  More low-profile and out of the way than your standard pet fare.

I've already got a party of (up to) six - any more is just a mob hogging my screen real estate and making an ugly mess of pathing.  No thanks.

Maybe a flying scorpion?  Part spider, part wasp, part bottom-dwelling sea creature with claws, 100% nightmare. :thumbsup:

New class: THE FALCONER!!! *SCREEEEEECH!*
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Dogs have been really overdone in games. Give the kittys a chance.

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

No dogs! filthily boring slobber-machines who want to be friends most with those who hate them most. They're dumber than pigs and no doubt more tasty. They also **** everywhere.

But as much as I can't stand dogs, dog owners are the real problem. Maybe if everyone got Cesar Milan to help them out, I'd be OK with it.

Not to say there are no dogs that I like, but gah, are they overrated!

And us cat lovers are ridiculed and marginalized wherever we go! "Cat people" is considered a Pejorative. Screw dogs and their obedient slave nature. I'm sure that if you examine their skull you'll find three distinct dimples associated with the area of obedience. :p

Oh and their incessant barking, yapping at anything that even slightly confuses them. excited mongrels. And the dominant jumping up and down your legs, if they're not trying to literally **** it.

The reasons why some people like dogs are the same reasons why I don't like them. (as a pet). I'm cool with wild dogs. However those lapdogs, those overexcited rats pretending to be dogs, those are abominations suffering from the ill effects of being bred to fit an unnatural shape. I feel sorry for those shrill shaking creatures like chihuahuas, seen more as fashion accessory than as dog; Or the bulging eyes of a bulldog, which is in constant pain because his head is too small for its brain. Give me a German Shepherd then, those I'm cool with. Or Huskies.

But I'd rather have cats. Cats are fantastic, they're independent. They don't serve us, we are their feeding and grooming stations. They're fastidious, curious, comfort loving and playful without tearing up the place.

:p

I have the best of both worlds then. A German Shepard, and 2 cats :D

• Like 1

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The fact is though that dogs have long been used as effective hunting companions.  Big cats, not so much.  This is an unfair comparison, but the analogy that comes to mind is that of disregarding a sword because it's too overused in fantasy in favor of using a lance unmounted (that is to say, rejecting a hammer because pliers can put in nails too - perhaps they can, but between the two, why not the hammer?  Don't look too far into these please, they're truely bad analogies).

Don't get me wrong, I have 2 (3) cats and I love them all to death, but can't manage to picture them following me around and fighting for me so readily as I can for a dog, even if they were bigger.  I sympathize with the need to go against the worn grain a little, but also feel I need a practical reason or insight to oppose it.

All in all, dog, cat, or (hopefully) detached hawk, I don't care with any particular passion.

The fact is though that dogs have long been used as effective hunting companions.  Big cats, not so much.  This is an unfair comparison, but the analogy that comes to mind is that of disregarding a sword because it's too overused in fantasy in favor of using a lance unmounted (that is to say, rejecting a hammer because pliers can put in nails too - perhaps they can, but between the two, why not the hammer?  Don't look too far into these please, they're truely bad analogies).

Don't get me wrong, I have 2 (3) cats and I love them all to death, but can't manage to picture them following me around and fighting for me so readily as I can for a dog, even if they were bigger.  I sympathize with the need to go against the worn grain a little, but also feel I need a practical reason or insight to oppose it.

All in all, dog, cat, or (hopefully) detached hawk, I don't care with any particular passion.

I dunno, I don't see why it couldn't work. I mean, my mind easily wraps around the idea of PE's souls and different races etc. Why not large cats a intelligent companions.

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

but can't manage to picture them following me around and fighting for me so readily as I can for a dog, even if they were bigger.

Who said anything about them having to fight for you? They could be familiars. Sneaky little thief familiars with speed and stealth bonuses.

They could look mostly like Earth cats and meow like Earth cats but not be Earth cats...in P.E.'s world, perhaps they bond with owners in some minor telepathic way or whatever, if you have the skill to create such a bond.  eg, you can use the "it's a fantasy setting/not set on Earth so cats don't have to act exactly like cats on Earth" reasoning here just as much as you can for historical accuracy, combat, and lighting points. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The fact is though that dogs have long been used as effective hunting companions.  Big cats, not so much.

Ehm, the cheetah has been used for this in the past.

So yes, big cats too.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I've always considered familiars to be like animals having a "wit" relationship with their humanoid counterpart as described by Robin Hobb in the farseer trilogy. (A symbiotic supernatural mental connection)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Re: big cats - there's always the famous case of Christian the lion. (I've seen the whole documentary...it's awesome). Think cats can't/don't remember bonds? Yea....no. I've had similar things with housecats too. Gave one away to someone else when I had too many. When I went to visit that person/cat over a year later, the cat instantly recognized me and ran over/head butted me.

• Like 2

Re: big cats...

I'd hate to see what he'd do to the furniture... :p That's one cool kitty!

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

^Bears are a fine option. I'd like some paleolithic animals, too: saber-toothed cats, short-faced bears, dire wolves, wooly rhinos--there's a whole menagerie of truly bizarre mammals waiting to be rediscovered by game designers.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I wouldn't mind having a polar bear as beast buddy:

That would be cool. :lol:

Sometimes I think part of our affection and anthropomorphizing of animal buddies is that seeming human desire to not be alone in the universe.