Dog?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Dog?

• Yes, commerepuppypuppy!! Drop that arm and gimme a kiss!
    • No! Go away you filthy mutt!!
    • How about a cat?

How about a telepathic cat? Not sarcastic of course since sarcastic cats have been done countless times.

I'd love a wise cat who can deal with the party's psychological issues better than the hero. He would be there to shut them up all together if you don't feel like dealing with them.

While I trust Obsidian to do endearing and enjoyable characters, I can't help but think people took the dog in Dragon Age so they wouldn't be annoyed by Morrigan's moaning and Alistair's whining after all.

I like the idea of having an animal companion, even if its not one that has much backstory or ability in combat. In Syrim, I really enjoyed having a stray dog tag along with me. It was fun and seemed pretty realistic. If the animal is going to be effective in combat, it should probably be a bit tougher than a dog -- a wolf, maybe, or a mephit. Something reasonably intelligent, too.

While true, hyenas have a lot of canine traits to them. And also, those pictures are awesome.

They wouldn't likely be classified as feliform if they had a lot of canid traits. The taxonomy is pretty clear. Have you ever heard of convergent evolution? In this case, it's cosmetic.

At any rate, a hyena would be better than a dog in a violent situation, objectively. It does bear mentioning that I'm bothered by the... zeal of the OP's dog-centered desire.

Feliformia is not felidae. They live communally (which is not unheard of for cats, but is very much more a dog thing), they have non-retractable claws, they use their teeth and jaws like dogs, and they're completely unsuited to arboreal movement. Nobody would say that that puts them in caniformia, but yeah, dudes have their fair share of dog-like traits.

Edited by Tamerlane
  • Like 1
jcod0.png

After everyone kept telling me how cats were extinct in Fallout lore or something, but dogs were still around, I demand a game where dogs are extinct but cats remain. :p;)

Well, one of the 4M promises was "Cats"

So highly dissapointed and 'betrayal of all that Kickstarter stands for' if no cats ;).

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Dog is man's best friend, but what if I play a female elf? Can I then become crazy cat lady and unleash upon the world the terrible power of purring and sleeping and being lazy?

The reason cats haven't been done in games before is because they are insubordinate brats. I'd like to see a cat that listens to commands. When the revolution finally comes dog army will crush disorganized cat forces! Until that time let the cat people watch funny pictures of their cats, while we, dog people, train our pets in art of war :verymad:

• Like 1

signqev.jpg

The reason why I waxed lyrical on the dog issue is 'cause I recently (well, not so recently anymore) lost my dog and I was really attached to him, and the dog in DA:O was remarkedly like my own (and the "relations with the dog" thing was a joke..).

Since I never play a magical user, I wouldn't care for familiars, talking animals, pet swamp dragon-toads or stuff like that. I just would like a dog, that acts like a dog.

I know someone who felt for their horse as I did for my dog, and the horse was her buddy when she grew up. I can imagine her wanting a horse as companion.

I've been waiting for a game that lets me keep a smilodon as a pet.

Lets go for Thylacines as a dog substitute and Thylacoleo carnifexes for cats! :)

The reason why I waxed lyrical on the dog issue is 'cause I recently (well, not so recently anymore) lost my dog and I was really attached to him, and the dog in DA:O was remarkedly like my own (and the "relations with the dog" thing was a joke..).

Since I never play a magical user, I wouldn't care for familiars, talking animals, pet swamp dragon-toads or stuff like that. I just would like a dog, that acts like a dog.

I know someone who felt for their horse as I did for my dog, and the horse was her buddy when she grew up. I can imagine her wanting a horse as companion.

Sorry for your loss.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Nothing wrong with having domestic cats as familiars and great cats as animal companions, but how would you get them to do your bidding?  After all, they're cats:p

Edited by Tsuga C
  • Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Nothing wrong with having domestic cats as familiars and great cats as animal companions, but how would you get them to do your bidding?  After all, they're cats:p

You wouldn't.  They would get you to do their bidding.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Too true, hence I feed the ferals rather than deal with actually owning (being owned by?) one.

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

A source of many quests!

What's not to like?

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

No dogs! filthily boring slobber-machines who want to be friends most with those who hate them most. They're dumber than pigs and no doubt more tasty. They also **** everywhere.

But as much as I can't stand dogs, dog owners are the real problem. Maybe if everyone got Cesar Milan to help them out, I'd be OK with it.

Not to say there are no dogs that I like, but gah, are they overrated!

And us cat lovers are ridiculed and marginalized wherever we go! "Cat people" is considered a Pejorative. Screw dogs and their obedient slave nature. I'm sure that if you examine their skull you'll find three distinct dimples associated with the area of obedience. :p

Oh and their incessant barking, yapping at anything that even slightly confuses them. excited mongrels. And the dominant jumping up and down your legs, if they're not trying to literally **** it.

The reasons why some people like dogs are the same reasons why I don't like them. (as a pet). I'm cool with wild dogs. However those lapdogs, those overexcited rats pretending to be dogs, those are abominations suffering from the ill effects of being bred to fit an unnatural shape. I feel sorry for those shrill shaking creatures like chihuahuas, seen more as fashion accessory than as dog; Or the bulging eyes of a bulldog, which is in constant pain because his head is too small for its brain. Give me a German Shepherd then, those I'm cool with. Or Huskies.

But I'd rather have cats. Cats are fantastic, they're independent. They don't serve us, we are their feeding and grooming stations. They're fastidious, curious, comfort loving and playful without tearing up the place.

:p

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I think a dog or pet is fine, but taking a character slot is not. He should be the extension of the main character (perhaps for some classes only) and potentially have his own skill tree, but not a full fledged character, it's just a wasted slot - he'll never be able to wear armor, have weapons or have the impact on the story like a human, even though you can "love" him.

I just think it's far easier to let you tag along with a pet without having to sacrifice a human(oid) for it.

tsgUO.gif

*snip*

I'm sure that if you examine their [cats] skull you'll find three distinct dimples associated with the area of obedience.

*snip*

The domestication process began roughly 100,000 years ago with dogs way back in our roaming hunter/gatherer stage. With cats it coincided with the development of agriculture and stationary living around 10-12,000 years ago. There's a reason some breeds of dogs are so screwed up: human foolishness.

Dogs are decended from wolves and are inherently pack-oriented, whereas cats are decended from the African wildcat and are more inclined towards a solitary existance, though they do engage in some social activity. They key thing to remember in relation to your quotation above is that cats have virtually no prefrontal cortex (pfc). In humans the pfc makes up around 31% of our brain; in chimps ~ 11%; in dogs ~ 4%; in cats ~ < 1%. As the pfc is the part of the brain associated with social living, actions and consequences, and inter-relating with others, this indicates that you were surprisingly precient with your tongue-in-cheek "dimple" conjecture.

I like cats, but definitely prefer well-trained dogs. When I shoot a ruffed grouse I want it brought back to me, not taken up a tree and stashed in a hollow. ;)

Edited by Tsuga C
  • Like 1

I must have odd cats, because I've had a few that fetch and all of them come when "called." I've trained them to stay off the furniture even when I'm not around, and all of that. They definitely know what I, as their owner, think of as "right" and "wrong" behavior. When I'm sad, they often come and sit next to me without me prompting them. When I'm happy and excited they often get happy and excited and prance around the room with me. My current black cat (and other cats I've had) is so social he can't stand being alone and follows me all over the house begging for attention...and most definitely prefers hubby and I to be out in the living room with him than in our offices ignoring him. Had another cat who liked me to wrap blankets around her and hold her like a baby. She'd fall asleep like that.

So y'know....while cats may not be "pack" oriented like wolves/dogs, to say they're not very social or don't form what we humans think of as bonds, doesn't seem to be true in practice. To me it's more a matter of the owner and how such owner relates to the animal in the first place. Toss a cat outside and only shovel food at them now and then, of course they're not going to form much of a bond with you.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My current black cat (and other cats I've had) is so social he can't stand being alone and follows me all over the house begging for attention...and most definitely prefers hubby and I to be out in the living room with him than in our offices ignoring him.

Is he a Bombay?

Regardless, it sounds like you have some adorable felines.

Nah...I've always gotten mixed mutt type cats, so to speak. Shelter and strays, occasionally kittens that others want to pawn off on the "catlady." ;) But he probably does have some Siamese or other oriental blood in him somewhere. He's also very large for a cat, so I like to think he's part panther.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No dogs! filthily boring slobber-machines who want to be friends most with those who hate them most. They're dumber than pigs and no doubt more tasty. They also **** everywhere.But as much as I can't stand dogs, dog owners are the real problem. Maybe if everyone got Cesar Milan to help them out, I'd be OK with it.Not to say there are no dogs that I like, but gah, are they overrated!And us cat lovers are ridiculed and marginalized wherever we go! "Cat people" is considered a Pejorative. Screw dogs and their obedient slave nature. I'm sure that if you examine their skull you'll find three distinct dimples associated with the area of obedience. :pOh and their incessant barking, yapping at anything that even slightly confuses them. excited mongrels. And the dominant jumping up and down your legs, if they're not trying to literally **** it.The reasons why some people like dogs are the same reasons why I don't like them. (as a pet). I'm cool with wild dogs. However those lapdogs, those overexcited rats pretending to be dogs, those are abominations suffering from the ill effects of being bred to fit an unnatural shape. I feel sorry for those shrill shaking creatures like chihuahuas, seen more as fashion accessory than as dog; Or the bulging eyes of a bulldog, which is in constant pain because his head is too small for its brain. Give me a German Shepherd then, those I'm cool with. Or Huskies.But I'd rather have cats. Cats are fantastic, they're independent. They don't serve us, we are their feeding and grooming stations. They're fastidious, curious, comfort loving and playful without tearing up the place.

:p
It is posts like this that make me desire a "dislike" button for these forums.

Dogs are superior to cats in every way, especially in cuteness.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands