What should a female breastplate really look like

Question, do anybody know if sexualised codpieces were used in new armors after Henry VIII reign or did that fashion died with its inventor?

Per wiki, Henry VIII died in 1547 while codpieces stayed in use until the 1590's.

Yup, but I can't find any armor from Elizabethan era that has one? So were those armors that had one old ones from Henry VIII reign or did that fashion live outside of England?

Question, do anybody know if sexualised codpieces were used in new armors after Henry VIII reign or did that fashion died with its inventor?

Per wiki, Henry VIII died in 1547 while codpieces stayed in use until the 1590's.

Yup, but I can't find any armor from Elizabethan era that has one? So were those armors that had one old ones from Henry VIII reign or did that fashion live outside of England?

Codpieces were used on clothing as well, not just armour. I assume that is what the wikipedia article refers to.

In general, the use of armour declines rapidly throughout the 16th century, due to the advances made in firearms. Already during Elizabeth's reign, a full suit of plate was becoming a rarity, most people opting for only a breastplate and a helmet, which consequently could be made heavier.

Armor isn't about a fashion statement or seduction.

It's about protection.

Except those wings on the helmet in your avatar.....

Point being?

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Armor isn't about a fashion statement or seduction.

It's about protection.

Except those wings on the helmet in your avatar.....

Point being?

That your avatar is an armour that presumably you think looks cool rather than one which offers protection, a blow which would have otherwise missed could potentially break the wearers neck.... therefore I assume you don't want to see anything like it in the game

• Like 1

I just thought of something! In battle, you'd never want to have long hair, as enemies can grab and pull it, and it can snag on things.

Therefore, all our characters should have shaved heads, as long hair would be preposterous. Bye bye, hair options at character creation. u_u

Some helmets had decorations like horns, wings etc. that were mounted in a way that they would break off very easily when hit.

Also, solution: Boob plates that are mounted in such a way that they break off very easily when hit, 8D!

Man we're good! High fives all around! GO TEAM!

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I just thought of something! In battle, you'd never want to have long hair, as enemies can grab and pull it, and it can snag on things.

Therefore, all our characters should have shaved heads, as long hair would be preposterous. Bye bye, hair options at character creation. u_u

You wouldn't want to have long hair flying around unrestrained. You could totally put it in some form of bun or short ponytail, or just cut it short. If you're wearing a helm or even a hat you could put your hair inside that if you wanted.

Basically, you can have long hair if you want, but you would, practically speaking, want to make sure it doesn't get in your face in the midst of combat. Thus, hairdos. Not necessarily all the time, if you want to let it out when not in combat that's perfectly fine, but in combat you'd want to do something about it to ensure it doesn't just get in your face.

Of course, I don't think we'll be getting many options at character creation anyways, so this might very well be a moot point.

• Like 1

Actually I think it might be kinda cool to have showy, impractical armor in the game... which is commensurately poor as armor, but might have other benefits. Paladins for example have those leadership feats -- sticking a big honking pair of ... horns on your ... helmet might certainly enhance those.

Speaking of codpieces, I wonder what kinds of armor enhancements the paladin of a fertility god would have...

• Like 4

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

You wouldn't want to have long hair flying around unrestrained. You could totally put it in some form of bun or short ponytail, or just cut it short. If you're wearing a helm or even a hat you could put your hair inside that if you wanted.

HairNetBeardnet.jpg

:biggrin:

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Point being?

That your avatar is an armour that presumably you think looks cool rather than one which offers protection, a blow which would have otherwise missed could potentially break the wearers neck.... therefore I assume you don't want to see anything like it in the game

My avatar isn't in the game.

Nor have I asked for it.

Yes, I think it looks cool.

No I don't think it would be a good armor choice (unless the wings are actual feathers and thus weigh almost nothing and wont' catch a blade, in which case it would be OK)

No I'm not against having some rare boobplate armor or codpiece armor.

I'm against such armor having actually good protective value.

So if oyu want your character in a chainmail bikini, you can have it...as long as you accept the consequences.

Don't assume to much.

Edited by TrashMan
  • Like 1

Basically, you can have long hair if you want, but you would, practically speaking, want to make sure it doesn't get in your face in the midst of combat. Thus, hairdos. Not necessarily all the time, if you want to let it out when not in combat that's perfectly fine, but in combat you'd want to do something about it to ensure it doesn't just get in your face.

Of course, I don't think we'll be getting many options at character creation anyways, so this might very well be a moot point.

Something just tells me ancient viking warriors didn't just say "Guys, it's okay! We can all have long, Thor-like manes! Just make sure you bring your scrunchies, and whip those bad boys out whenever we think there might be trouble afoot, u_u."

Not to mention that, as an adventuring party in a medieval fantasy RPG, you wouldn't know when you were going to run into trouble and when you weren't. AND, buns and such can still be grabbed/snagged.

If armor can't hint at torso structure, then hair can't be allowed to give your enemy advantages. Seasoned danger-handlers simply wouldn't allow it, just as seasoned armor-makers wouldn't allow minor breastplate variance.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Something just tells me ancient viking warriors didn't just say "Guys, it's okay! We can all have long, Thor-like manes! Just make sure you bring your scrunchies, and whip those bad boys out whenever we think there might be trouble afoot, u_u."

Not to mention that, as an adventuring party in a medieval fantasy RPG, you wouldn't know when you were going to run into trouble and when you weren't. AND, buns and such can still be grabbed/snagged.

If armor can't hint at torso structure, then hair can't be allowed to give your enemy advantages. Seasoned danger-handlers simply wouldn't allow it, just as seasoned armor-makers wouldn't allow minor breastplate variance.

If buns and such can be snagged, so can other things, like clothes. Clearly, adventurers should run around in hardened leather armor, skintight clothing, or full plate, and should not carry backpacks, because those can be grabbed, too.

My concern is less that long hair will get grabbed and more that it'll get in your face and distract you, which is easily fixable.

...Argh, just... just no. Don't start this again. Fine. I give up. You win. Clearly I am in the wrong here.

Point being?

My avatar isn't in the game.

Nor have I asked for it.

Yes, I think it looks cool.

No I don't think it would be a good armor choice (unless the wings are actual feathers and thus weigh almost nothing and wont' catch a blade, in which case it would be OK)

No I'm not against having some rare boobplate armor or codpiece armor.

I'm against such armor having actually good protective value.

So if oyu want your character in a chainmail bikini, you can have it...as long as you accept the consequences.

Don't assume to much.

But you said armour isn't a fashion statement, when your avatar has armour with a bloody great fashion statement stuck to it....Just seemed a bit contradictory to me,

and it looks more dangerous to me than boobplate ever would be, after all you'd have to get a direct hit on a very small area central to the chest for the "boobs" to direct a blow inward, with helmet wings you're making yourself a bigger target, and adding leverage to a blow that catches them, and possibly directing it to your head...

I'm not too bothered  about the boobplate having good armour value, or even being in the game, I actually like the direction the devs are taking.

Don't assume I want a chainmail bikini :p

• Like 1

Fine. I give up. You win. Clearly I am in the wrong here.

Finally, my life is COMPLETE! *evil fist-form gesture*

I was just making a point. Somewhat sarcastically so. I don't actually believe no one should have long hair. So, I don't actually think you're wrong. I think we're both right. The point being that following absolute "this is totally what would've happened" doesn't lead down a very pleasant road. People expecting to be in melee combat a lot would not have long hair that is easily grabbable by an opponent (allowing them to snap your neck, and/or take you off balance and/or negatively direct your field of view and/or slit your throat).

This is why the viking trope of having long, death-metal hair and wearing horned helmets is so inaccurate. They didn't actually do that, because it would've been silly. Doesn't mean the occasional viking probably didn't go "Hah! I'm gonna wear an easily grabbable helmet, because I'm THAT confident in my combat prowess, and I feel like it!" He probably did. Which brings me to the point that, it can be reasonably assumed that our party, if we so choose minorly "unrealistic" embellishments and variances in equipment, is assembled out of such people.

I wasn't even advocating actual-boob plate from the get-go in this whole thread, but, hell, put it in the game, and allow a greater chance of critical hit against it. It's not as if the armor rating, itself, is just going to suck because they're ALWAYS going to hit you where the armor's weakest. Horned helmet? Make grapple checks/attacks against that person easier. Awesome possum.

But, don't tell me it's so preposterous that it shouldn't even be allowed into the game.

Basically, I opt for "they wouldn't actually have that" long hair and varied hairstyles over a game full of crew-cuts and skinheads, any day.

They also wouldn't be able to see behind themselves, from a fixed point 40 feet in the air. Yet we roll with that just fine.

• Like 1

You will find that in combat with weapons, and with helmets, grabbing someones hair is very, very, very, very difficult.

Long hair can go into your eyes, but there are simple ways to fix that.

The part of the body that is easiest to hit and will have most attention is the torso. Always was, always will.

You will find that in combat with weapons, and with helmets, grabbing someones hair is very, very, very, very difficult.

The part of the body that is easiest to hit and will have most attention is the torso. Always was, always will.

romans mandated shaved heads due to some of their enemies getting in close and pulling their hair to expose their neck and then slice it.  helmets were modified and reinforced due to some of their enemies having weapons that manage to cut through them.  lots of extra modifications and reinforcements to areas that weren't the torso occurred due to different cultures using different weapons and tactics that increased the risk to those areas.  large shields also help to protect the torso more than any other region.

culturally things occurred and were effective that goes against our understanding of warfare due to the fact that our warfare evolved from roman warfare (assuming you are from the western world).

tumblr_mkn1smrflH1r1g40zo1_500.jpg

Relevant: tactical boobage

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ah White Dwarf in its heyday, nothing better.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

You will also find that in combat, there are times when you're not wearing a helmet, and/or your hair is dangling 2 feet out of your helmet, and/or you dodge/deflect something and are in the process of recovering, and your opponent has the opportunity to grab the free rope hanging from the back of your head as you are powerless to do anything but try to recover from a narrowly-deflected attack.

It's not as if I was suggesting that, when facing an opponent, you're simply going to reach for their hair while you're both just standing there at the ready, or that your entire fighting style is going to be "go for the hair."

Statistically, you get 1000 long-haired people to fight 1000 opponents, and some people's hair is going to get grabbed and their throats are going to get slit. Many military cultures mandated very short hair, because, why risk such a thing? There's no opportunity EVER for your hair to be grabbed if you've got half-inch-or-shorter hair. There's simply nothing to grab. It's quite simple, really.

• Like 2

Long hair CAN be a huge disadvantage and in a life or death fight you sure as hell want as few disadvantages as possible. Simple as that.

And the danger is not just grabbing it, hair can also get caught in one of the armors many latches and fasteners when moving around which could definitely create a painful distraction for the wearer.

I don't see how a professional fighter would ignore these dangers.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet.