Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will interactions have cutscenes or just dialogue windows?

cutscenes voiceovers dialogue

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Mor

Mor

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 449 posts

When you interact and talk with NPCs in PE, will it be more like NWN2/Dragon Age/Mass Effect, with zoomed-in cutscenes? Or will it be more like the Infinity Engine games and NWN1, where you stay at the same view level and just have dialogue boxes pop up? I'm assuming the latter since it's probably a whole lot cheaper.

There might be in game cut scenes IE style, but certainly not what of the sort you mentioned (also suppose to be more text heavy) As for interactions we know there will be scripted interaction and dialogues, but this all that we seen so far:

The last iteration of Scripted Interactions that we seen:
Scripted-interaction-egg.jpg

Character UI, which possibly give us a clue as to how the dialogue system will be framed:
Pillars-of-Eternity-Dev-Update-Shows-Ext

Edited by Mor, 13 May 2014 - 06:28 PM.

• Bryy and Malekith like this

Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 899 posts

Baldur's Gate II used this sparingly in order to create a narrative. It also used the system primarily to define events where a lack of player agency in the dialogue made sense (i.e. Irenicus-led dreams, Irenicus and Imoen alone, etc).

Control over the dialogue is a key feature to the IE games, and when you ask people here which IE game they think had the best dialogue/writing then they almost inevitably answer 'PS:T' (As an aside, I maintain that Fallout 2, although not an IE game, was far better in this regard, but w/e). People are looking for more control of the dialogue, and less automation. As I say, the format you describe is more suited to interactive fiction than western rpgs.

Again, we can wait and see what people say, but I suspect that the majority of people - and unquestionably the vocal majority of people - would prefer something that was closer to the IE way of doing things.

There's always passive parts in a conversation. In the end, an NPC will have to provide you at least some background about the topic he is talking about.

I'm not saying that we need a cutscene for every dialogue. That would be just wrong; but I'm saying that there could be means taken to make dialogue more interesting and present narrative aside from just plain text.

If we take the Baldur's Gate II example again, let's just assume while you talk to the bridge district guard at the northern entry (you still have the ordinary dialogue window open and can do your multiple choice as always), when the guard talks about the murders and the harlot notifying them, you will actually see those scenes visually in the background instead of just having a forced focus on the city guard. It could be as simple as the harlot standing around a corner and a veiled person running away. No full fledged cutscenes; just some representation of what the NPC is currently talking about in isometric view.

Think of it as animated "topic images" that change depending on the dialogue branch you're in.

It just makes dialogue a lot more interesting if there's at least *something* going on.

Edited by Zwiebelchen, 13 May 2014 - 10:41 PM.

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

“If you don’t like to read, don’t play this game”

-Josh Sawyer, project director and lead designer

I love to read, but seriously, do you only want walls of text delivering you the narrative?
  • eLeF likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

This game won't have any walls of text. They mentioned a while ago that while Planescape Torment was a good game, they'll be avoiding walls of text and splitting up dialogue nodes if they get too large.

That line is more a stab at the people who prefer Mass Effect's way of doing things, and the fact that a lot of actions that would have an animation or cut scene in an AAA game, will be described through text in PE.

• PrimeJunta, Malekith, Cluas and 1 other like this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I love to read, but seriously, do you only want walls of text delivering you the narrative?

yes, if it means better written dialogue

npc makes a 10 line philosophical argument

1. 2 line serious response

2. 1 line joking response

3. 5 line philosophical response

4. 3 line political debate

5. 1 line ignorant response

6. goodbye

depending on the player choice, the npc may give up to a 15 line response

the cost to voice act a dialogue of that size would be prohibitive, so the same dialogue would be altered to (with all the implications that would have to the quality of the discussion and how well it could make the player understand the situation)

npc sumarizes his 10 line into a 3 line philosiphical argument 

1. 1 line serious response

2. 2 line philosophical response

3. 1 line political debate

4. goodbye

depending on the choice the npc may give up to a 5 line response

Edited by teknoman2, 14 May 2014 - 03:00 AM.

• Malekith and forgottenlor like this

Malekith

Malekith

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 865 posts

I wouldn't have a problem even if we had walls of text delivering the COMBAT, with a static picture and walls of text describing every move and hit.

But as Sensuki said the game will have around the same text as BG2, which wasn't too much realy, and didn't  had "walls of text", so i don't see what the problem is.

Edited by Malekith, 14 May 2014 - 04:20 AM.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

There's a quote from Something Awful (I think) about amount of text in a node, but I no longer have access to that thread as it's over two years old. Can't really be arsed paying $9.95 just to search it either.

Malekith

Malekith

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 865 posts

There's a quote from Something Awful (I think) about amount of text in a node, but I no longer have access to that thread as it's over two years old. Can't really be arsed paying $9.95 just to search it either.

Ask Roguey

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

yes, if it means better written dialogue

npc makes a 10 line philosophical argument

1. 2 line serious response

2. 1 line joking response

3. 5 line philosophical response

4. 3 line political debate

5. 1 line ignorant response

6. goodbye

depending on the player choice, the npc may give up to a 15 line response

the cost to voice act a dialogue of that size would be prohibitive, so the same dialogue would be altered to (with all the implications that would have to the quality of the discussion and how well it could make the player understand the situation)

npc sumarizes his 10 line into a 3 line philosiphical argument 

1. 1 line serious response

2. 2 line philosophical response

3. 1 line political debate

4. goodbye

depending on the choice the npc may give up to a 5 line response

You misunderstand me. I'm not talking about voice over dialogue. I'm talking about delivering narrative through gameplay, through environment art, and through music and sound. You can write a large exposition dialogue about how an evil cult is evil, or you can show a pile of skulls at the entrance to their lair, have foreboding music and hear chanting and as you approach have a small animated cutscene where you see three innocent civilians being sacrificed on their altar of blood. (yes, I made this deliberately cliché and obvious. it is merely meant to illustrate a point)

You've given the message without uttering a single line of dialogue.

I'm not saying you can't have text, even lots of it, but it is but one of the many tools of delivering the game narrative to you, and depending on it exclusively is just plain stupid.

Walls of text will not hold your attention for long either. Not if every node is a wall of text. As proud as they were, even Bohr and Einstein admitted that they couldn't finish the Principa written by Newton (written to be purposefully dense, because Newton only wanted the brightest to comprehend it.)

Good writing is also knowing when to be sparing with words.

• Ineth likes this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

of course this is better to be shown than to just be described in text and i dont think the guys at obsidian are new enough in the business to not know about using visual and aural cues to create the apropriate atmosphere. but we were talking about dialogue with an npc, and in that case you would need LA Noir level cutscenes during conversations to make a visual representation of certain things instead of using a text descrition

Edited by teknoman2, 16 May 2014 - 09:08 AM.

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

As much as I hate sentences like this.... this.

Malekith

Malekith

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 865 posts

As much as I hate sentences like this.... this.

Why do you hate sentences like this? Curious.

Infinitron

Infinitron

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2089 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No, he doesn't mean sentences like that. He means sentences like...this. :)

Edited by Infinitron, 23 May 2014 - 02:49 AM.

• Malekith likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
If I had to guess, he hates them because they can be interpreted 7 different ways and always end up offending rather than just meaning what they mean.

Like that one. If you literally can't stand the fact that there are words to read in front of you on the screen -- if that bothers you, in and of itself, then you really probably should not play this game.

Yet, people interpret it as "OMG, so if reading isn't like, our all-time favorite thing, you're telling us not to play this game? What a snob!"

No. Literally, if you do not like reading, as opposed to disliking reading -- not 17 paragraphs every second, just, the act of reading things to discern stuff -- then you're probably not going to enjoy a game that uses text to drive a huge narrative throughout.

Malekith

Malekith

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 865 posts

Yet, people interpret it as "OMG, so if reading isn't like, our all-time favorite thing, you're telling us not to play this game? What a snob!"

I disagree with this mentality. All games aren't made for everyone as we all have diferent tastes, contrary to AAA wishes. I would appreciate if devs were more forthcoming and said to me, "this game isn't made for people like you, find another one" It would save us all a lot of trouble and many negative feelings down the road.

• Lephys likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cutscenes, voiceovers, dialogue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users