Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #49: Water, Trees, Day/Night, Lighting... All That Jazz

project eternity josh sawyer

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Easy there, Mudd1. He's simply making suggestions, based on his limited knowledge, that he hopes are helpful. He's interested in the processes at hand, and has know way of knowing what the devs already do or do not know. What's the harm in that, hmm?
  • Lychnidos likes this

mudd1

mudd1

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Easy there, Mudd1. He's simply making suggestions, based on his limited knowledge, that he hopes are helpful. He's interested in the processes at hand, and has know way of knowing what the devs already do or do not know. What's the harm in that, hmm?

He could just be more humble instead of saying stuff like "shouldn't be hard" and "should be easy enough", and maybe get into less technical detail but instead trust in the developers' professionalism.

And regardless of the technical feasibility of his suggestions, as I said, I'd vote for more story and a more painterly quality of the graphics instead of state-of-the-art gadgetry any time.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

He could just be more humble instead of saying stuff like "shouldn't be hard" and "should be easy enough", and maybe get into less technical detail but instead trust in the developers' professionalism.

And regardless of the technical feasibility of his suggestions, as I said, I'd vote for more story and a more painterly quality of the graphics instead of state-of-the-art gadgetry any time.

I'm not seeing how phrases such as "it shouldn't be hard" are inherently making him un-humble. He's simply stating that, as far as he knows, he's not suggesting things that are understood throughout the industry to be ludicrously tricky or time-consuming. Simply for what it's worth.

Until he says something like "even YOU guys should be able to do it, LOLZ!", there is absolutely no reason to assume a more specific meaning than "to my knowledge, this shouldn't be very difficult to do, which I'm telling you in the event that you didn't already know that."

And regardless of how much non-technical stuff you'd vote for, the entire game is built out of "technical stuff," The art team can create their painterly quality all day long, and the "technical stuff" has to make sure it maintains integrity throughout things like lighting and other dynamic factors. Not to mention that I'm sure the dev team is more than capable of deciding what is and isn't detrimental to the integrity of their art team's work, regarding game engine techniques.

It's not as if Frenetic Pony is urging thousands of backers to sign a petition to be sent directly to Obsidian that demands that all the resources from the art team be redirected to the technical team. So, again... no need to assume things and get upset over sheer speculation. I encourage you not to be so concerned about harmless suggestions, for what they're worth.

mudd1

mudd1

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

And regardless of how much non-technical stuff you'd vote for, the entire game is built out of "technical stuff," The art team can create their painterly quality all day long, and the "technical stuff" has to make sure it maintains integrity throughout things like lighting and other dynamic factors. Not to mention that I'm sure the dev team is more than capable of deciding what is and isn't detrimental to the integrity of their art team's work, regarding game engine techniques.

Well, the more lighting you do automatically, the less the artists do it.

And his suggestions were very extensive and detailed. They went far beyond "why don't you make the shadows follow the sun" or something. And some phrases like "correct me if I'm wrong" or "I'm no expert on the matter but maybe you can ..." would also have gone a long way.

But to be honest, his behaviour annoyed me enough to register an account and write an angry post but it's not important enough to discuss this to no end. So let's just say that it annoyed me but didn't bother you. That's ok.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

But to be honest, his behaviour annoyed me enough to register an account and write an angry post but it's not important enough to discuss this to no end. So let's just say that it annoyed me but didn't bother you. That's ok.

Well, to be honest, your behavior was enough to cause me to use my already-created account and write an inquisitive post as to the nature of your behavior, as it seemed (and still seems) quite unwarranted.

A lack of assumption as to the tone of his simple, text-only suggestions based upon his limited knowledge would also have gone a long way.

*shrug*
  • mudd1 likes this

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Well, I was waaay back on Kickstarter, but the whole item-debacle made me catch up (also having time helps :))

And I have to say, it looks beatiful. Certainly takes me back to when games look good. And not fake-good like The Witcher II where everything's super-high definition but it all feels stale due to it's art direction being lack-luster and generic. Hope it keeps up throughout the game and we get the beatiful areas we all know and love from BG2, PS:T or IWD.
  • Malekith likes this

Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Steam:Dark_Ansem
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This is an old thread, but I have to ask: why were all those nice interactive, alive-feel, animated features like the animated grass, removed from the beta?

Edited by Dark_Ansem, 02 November 2014 - 12:03 AM.

• PillarsofEternity likes this

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Maybe because they were actually neither interactive nor alive-feel: Too much negative feedback about rotating leaf patch textures and grass animations, that don't seem motivated by wind (they just randomly swayed) and that also don't react to characters walking through.

Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

so instead of improving them they were deleted?

• PillarsofEternity likes this

Quantics

Quantics

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They probably realised that they couldn't be improved with the current system and/or would take up too much time to implement.

Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

perhaps with Unity 5 then?

Naurgalen

Naurgalen

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

And how is foliage "not moving at all" while other things are being moved by the wind (fallen leafs, water etc...) more immersive? It has no sense.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Fallen leafs are totally foliage. 8P

But I get what you're saying, :)

John Forseti

John Forseti

Eternal Procrastinator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

And how is foliage "not moving at all" while other things are being moved by the wind (fallen leafs, water etc...) more immersive? It has no sense.

I havent seen anything from the beta so I cant comment on that specifically but sometimes moving closer to the thing in a simulation of the thing actually spoils the effect more than the abstraction that was there before hand, the uncanny valley doesn't just apply to faces.

Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

what do you mean?

PillarsofEternity

PillarsofEternity

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts

so instead of improving them they were deleted?

They probably have reasons why they are not included, but I agree with your sentiment. Frankly it's not good enough. The game looks so static and feels dead. It is actually kind of painful to look at at times. The video in update 49 showed a glimpse of what was possible, but watching the game in motion now it feels as if the last 2 years their only goal was to make the game look worse.

Yeah, they have other things to do: gameplay, story, world building, etc. That's all fine and dandy. Occasional animations on trees and shrubs should not have been cut under any circumstance. 

It's good to see that other people such as yourself are equally disappointed with what has transpired. 

Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts

And how is foliage "not moving at all" while other things are being moved by the wind (fallen leafs, water etc...) more immersive?

It isn't, but that's not really the point. Animating moving water and falling leaves takes little effort (since they're 3d), whereas getting nice-looking animations for the 2d stuff obviously proved too difficult.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl, 05 December 2014 - 02:02 PM.

• Lephys likes this

HetMasteen

HetMasteen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That's the sort of thing that can be improved upon post-release and modded/patched in. It isn't vital to the core of the game. It's fluff. Fluff can be amazing, but it should never be the priority. It isn't what makes or breaks the experience.

• Dark_Ansem likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, josh sawyer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users