Update #49: Water, Trees, Day/Night, Lighting... All That Jazz

Also, the Torment folks have their work cut for them. Matching this kind of quality will be no easy task

Torment fans would buy a rogue-like sequel. Dude, as long as you can get lots of text in there, Torment fans will be happy.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm not sold on the project yet.

The graphics fidelity is to be expected in this day and age. After all, this is old technology, polished up and updated.

The art design of this one scene is not enough to judge by. However I was expecting something more exotic. This just falls in line with other similar stuff seen over the years.

There are hundreds of different fantasy worlds I have no idea why computer games are always stuck on the most typical one. Its fantasy for crying out loud, it doesn't have to look like medieval europe with a few twists.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Also, the Torment folks have their work cut for them. Matching this kind of quality will be no easy task

Torment fans would buy a rogue-like sequel. Dude, as long as you can get lots of text in there, Torment fans will be happy.

No. No they really wouldn't be. You're really missing the point. It's like saying people who like reading will enjoy reading a dictionary, because it has a lot of words in it.

But, of course, you know that perfectly well and are just trolling.

The graphics fidelity is to be expected in this day and age. After all, this is old technology, polished up and updated.

The art design of this one scene is not enough to judge by. However I was expecting something more exotic. This just falls in line with other similar stuff seen over the years.

There are hundreds of different fantasy worlds I have no idea why computer games are always stuck on the most typical one. Its fantasy for crying out loud, it doesn't have to look like medieval europe with a few twists.

But that's kind of what people have been asking for. Something more restrained and believable.

• Like 1

But that's kind of what people have been asking for. Something more restrained and believable.

That's been done to death a hundred times over.

"Exotic" has as well. And P:E is meant to be in the style and spirit of BG and IWD, both of which are traditional in their design. So the art direction they've gone for makes sense in that way.

Edited by Agremont

I should have listened to Sawyer, this did blew my mind. I think the nights should be darker though. Maybe a slider?

Haven't you seen Sawyer's previous work in Fallout: New Vegas? He doesn't do dark nights. There are fan mods specifically to make the nights darker.

I think they are being somewhat conservative in developing an original IP with a method of funding that is new to them. I would also like to see a lot more coloring outside the lines of the usual "high fantasy" tropes, but I think it's very much possible to innovate within constraints, too.

I'm wondering how this dynamic stuff is interacting with the manual artist touch-ups. Looking at this picture: http://media.obsidian.net/eternity/media/updates/0025/PE-TempleEntrance-ProcessStack-1340.jpg I'd say the video is closer to the 3rd shot than the painted over one.

I realize all these things are most likely just for demonstration purposes, but even though the dynamic stuff looks amazing considering it's all 2D, I would not want it to compromise the paintwork. Since it could just as well be a full 3D game then.

That said I was definitely not expecting (or thought possible) most of the stuff shown in the video. Color me impressed.

"Exotic" has as well. And P:E is meant to be in the style and spirit of BG and IWD, both of which are traditional in their design. So the art direction they've gone for makes sense in that way. 

Exactly where has exotic been done? Apart from PS:T I have a tough time recalling the last atypical medieval world in a PC RPG.

Look, fantasy can mean that the ground is made of turtles and that people clobber each other with fish while riding pogo sticks. It doesn't have to be a ****ing Tolkien derivative, which I'm thoroughly sick of.

Making an Infinity engine game doesn't mean anything apart from it being 2D isometric and semi turn based, RPG. Everything else is open to interpretation.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I was under the impression that the project was selling us a rpg that was traditional to the older titles aka bg, iwd, and nwn BUT with a new story, settings, and culture for races and landscape.

I believe that they are right on track with what they advertised. Now its the story and writing thats yet to be seen.....but seriously this is obsidian, story and writing is expected and a staple of what they do best. Its a given in that dept.

People who are asking dynamic shadows, I must point out that their character shadows are at least dynamic (as you can see weapons and limbs moving in them and character's shadows disappears in water) and by looking them in day-night cycle  demo, you see that they don't move overall ('sun' source) light source, but only change color and luminous intensity. So I think that they can do shadows that move by day cycle, but I see that it can also bring some problems up.

Exactly where has exotic been done? Apart from PS:T I have a tough time recalling the last atypical medieval world in a PC RPG.

Look, fantasy can mean that the ground is made of turtles and that people clobber each other with fish while riding pogo sticks. It doesn't have to be a ****ing Tolkien derivative, which I'm thoroughly sick of.

Making an Infinity engine game doesn't mean anything apart from it being 2D isometric and semi turn based, RPG. Everything else is open to interpretation.

Maybe this depends on what one means by exotic. I was talking from a visual standpoint mainly. And there's plenty of over the top outlandish designs in that respect.

I do see what you mean though, and I agree to an extent. But I think there's great power in the traditional, provided it's done right. I also think the setting was a large part of the overall feel of IE games, an that setting was mostly Tolkienesque. PS:T was the odd one out but luckily it looks like the new Torment game is going to be using an unique setting which will help capture the feel of the old game.

Just my view.

If you're looking for an RPG that's truly out there, you're viewing the wrong project. They're delivering what they promised and what we backed them for. The setting is decided, and will dictate the theme of the overall game.

If you want a PS:T kind of out there world, go have a look at Torment: Tides of Numenera.

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

A stunning landscape. Wonder if we'll see any more waterfalls, say for instance something as gargantuan and awe inspiring as the Iguazu falls on the Brazilian Argentinian border, as featured so memorably at the beginning of the Mission.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!