Update #49: Water, Trees, Day/Night, Lighting... All That Jazz

I think it was a Scimitar, Sabre's are usually thinner no ?

Not by much,

2654sabre.jpg

If you look at the handle, it looks similar to the one in game(I think).

Still, it could be anything.

Edited by kenup

If I'm allowed to be nitpicky:

-animation of waterfall could be few nanoseconds faster

-characters do not move after stopped which is painfully unnatural (though when they move, it's a poetry)

-sway of trees and bushes could be more smooth (grass movement is perfect)

...and yes I am totally aware that this is a "work in progress" therefore I'm sure you'll make it even more jaw dropping in the end :)

I honestly love direction You've picked, and was sold at the very moment Josh said that You're pursuing the quality of IWD art. If You are still by whatever reason worried that it is not good enough to compete with IWD look/feeling, then don't, because -bloody hell- it outstands even my nostalgia-spoiled recollections of it! And common, How better could it get?!

You just made me sure that giving you more money than I honestly should back then (given my situation) turned out to be an excellent idea :D 

Thank You Obsidian!

• Like 1

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

This is pure gold, can't wait to see more (and can't wait even more to play it). The dynamic lighting and characters are simply amazing. Thank you everyone at Obsidian for the great work!

-characters do not move after stopped which is painfully unnatural (though when they move, it's a poetry)

-sway of trees and bushes could be more smooth (grass movement is perfect)

Those are good points IMO - the transition from running to standing did look unnatural and the animations on the trees looked a little blurry. Also:

- if your eyes rest on a tree or bush, you can notice how some parts are animated (and blurry) and others are clear and still, which breaks the feel a little bit

- the wading characters feet sometimes go under the ground level, but I'm not sure this is something that can be fixed in any efficient way in 2D

What I like most is the character models.

It just feels so good to see a game with the Infinity Engine style, but not the low-res pixelated characters! Makes me wish I could play it now...

As for the environment, I like that too... I think there are a few aspects in which they don't really use the advantages of pre-rendered graphics (as opposed to realtime 3D) to its full potential, but I'll wait with more specific criticism until the wave of excitement has passed and everyone's jaws are back up... :)

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

This brings back many happy, happy memories. My only (slight!) concern is that the characters somewhat look...odd, as in they don't perhaps fit in with their environments. Yet. Nevertheless, as you've only been working on it for what, six weeks, I think it looks absolutely fan-bloody-tastic. Om nom nom LIGHTING WIN!

I can't imagine that not being a similar "revival" of classic RPGs that Baldu'rs Gate was said to be. This looks like a pretty big title right there, and a really, really pretty one (and no doubt intriguingly complex).

Made my day.

For me, this will make exploring in the game its own reward.

If the shadows would have been moving with the sun, I'd declare it fake. :)

Since the vertical slice has been made (to my knowledge), will we be seeing some game mechanics soon?

I'm really interested in seeing the implied environment-aware decision screens in action. And not to mention flails.

Since the vertical slice has been made (to my knowledge), will we be seeing some game mechanics soon?

I'm really interested in seeing the implied environment-aware decision screens in action. And not to mention flails.

IIRC they're still in the prototype phase. I don't think they're that far along with the mechanics implementation yet, at least judging by their latest updates.

Eeexcellent. Especially the character models. And the dynamic water, movement in foliage, and dynamic lighting. And the music and sounds. And the feel. :yes:

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

Frigging good job! Some proper graphics and effects you got there!

I don't usually pay atteniton to graphics in game, I don't really mind it it is decent enough or at least has some style.

But this is just good stuff and got me excited. Especially characters, their armors, weapons but mostly The Dwarf!

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100