Update #49: Water, Trees, Day/Night, Lighting... All That Jazz

Cool stuff, does this video show the new tool you guys were experimenting with last week? I still wish the models were scaled about 10-20% bigger. Although I liked the scale of the forest, I just wish it wasn't as linear- though I realize this is a demo. It is very pretty, and im glad you guys added in animated grass and water.

So, it looks like this is actually going to be in 2D? I had always been under the impression that the idea was to have 3D rendered from an isometric perspective - after all, I think what most would agree they want is the IE gameplay experience, not 2D in and of itself.

I guess I'm curious as to what drove that decision, as it seems like something that adds a fair amount of extra work for no real gain.

• Like 1

Amazing work Obsidian!

That scene just looked gorgeous!

Everything was just right, the waterfall, the top-notch lighting,

the flowing water and moving trees and especially the characters.

This video convinced me to up my pledge and I hope that the pledge managing site will go live soon.

All i can really say is WOW, this looks great. i know it's a very small area but with the music i really get a Baldur's gate 2 feel from it. Maybe Baldur's gate 3 will never happen, but i think you all have done a fantastic job bringing the spirit and essence of it into P.E. 

Also do you have any idea when we'll be finding out the actual name of the game?

I would hope that the ui is clean and appears minimal (like google website, appears but not simple). This way you can observe the art and detail very well. I would even dare say that BG and IWD have clunky/bulky ui. Also I would add i hope there is a zoom button similar to how BG: enhanced edition work. That way you can preserve the art, mood, and gameplay if you choose that route.

When I have time, I'll try to make a fan-made ui.

Far exceeded my expectations ... and those expectations were pretty dang high.  If the game looks half this interesting and immersive, I'm going go spend 90% of my time just staring at the screen and forgetting to fight the baddies and talk to the NPCs.  

Uh-maz-ing.

I would hope that the ui is clean and appears minimal (like google website, appears but not simple). This way you can observe the art and detail very well. I would even dare say that BG and IWD have clunky/bulky ui. Also I would add i hope there is a zoom button similar to how BG: enhanced edition work. That way you can preserve the art, mood, and gameplay if you choose that route.

When I have time, I'll try to make a fan-made ui.

I would prefer a more solid UI personally, I am not a massive fan of minimal ones. While I would love to have a BG/IWD1 style one that encases the entire screen, so it looks like you're viewing the game through an object or something - but I don't think many people would be fans of that. Whatever they use, hopefully the character portraits are at least somewhat prominent.

Something like Icewind Dale 2 or PS:T wouldn't be too bad.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

I was particularly struck by the sound and ambience in that video. Please don't underestimate the power of music / sound in conveying the mood/atmosphere of a game. The icewind dale games had some of the best music and I hope obsidian continues that heritage in Project eternity.

Edited by poetic obsidian
  • Like 2

I have a confession to make.

Up to this point, the art style presented in P:E hasn't really rustled my jimmies, except a couple of the concept portraits -- Sherlock Orlan and Sagani to be specific. I mean I thought there were some neat ideas there but nothing that would make me really go wow. Even that scene; I thought it was nicely done and a worthy update to the BG2 style of graphics.

I didn't back P:E for the graphics. 

But NOW I see what you guys are after. That looks really, really sweet, both technically but especially artistically. So yeah, impressed. Especially the dynamic lighting. I think I know the clever trick you're using there (came across it in... oh, 1992 I think, in a 3D modeling package running on Silicon Graphics workstations, where you could model lighting in real time on a prerendered model, 'cuz the hardware wasn't good enough to do it in real time in 3D yet)... but damn it looks good.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Mind-blowing? Yes.

Did I get the chills? Yup.

Was this precisely the right balance of a believable environment and a fantasy setting? Definitely. 

Was the dynamism, the lighting and the day/night cycle just right for a moody mature isometric CRPG? Absolutely.

Does this kick butt even with Chaos Chronicles in the arena? You bet!

Will I put myself to cryosleep till PE gets released? I'm seriously considering it.

Obsidian, you're the best!!! :D

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

That campfire makes me wonder if it'll be a bonus mechanic wherein you'll be less likely to be ambushed by mobs while resting near a source of light, like the aforementioned campfire or a street lamp.

Edited by Xienzi

I already thought the original screenshot looked good (by the way, there have been a lot of changes to that, and I fully expect people here to do a side-by-side comparison soon-ish given the level of devotion backers have shown) but I have to admit seeing how well the characters blended in their surroundings surprised me, even after Torment showed that we've made a lot of progress in that area. Rising and falling water was a nice example of how the levels could potentially turn out to be a lot more dynamic than in the Infinity Engine titles, too, which uh, I wasn't really expecting! So, nice to know, and good progress so far.

Will still keep checking the armor/character designs and complaining about them tho', because I'm grumpy like that.

• Like 1

Very awesome. I haven't really posted on these updates yet, but I have followed every update since half way through the kickstarter. Keep up the good work! I'm super pumped about this game and you guys haven't even started making the main game yet, lol.