Obsidian: Where is the announcement for spiritual successor of Arcanum?

I kind of hope WotC has someone bring out a new Dark Sun game like Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager. I don't care if the camera's top down, isometric or moveable. Just that it's like that. One would think that someone would be all over pitching that to them, with a similar budget to these new games in mind.

But yeah, other than trying to figure out why I've fallen, and couldn't get up even though I still had 2/3s of my HP, I loved playing Arcanum.

• Like 1

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Ok. We've the spiritual succesor of Icewind Dale, Baldur Gates on PE.   The postnuclear saga from Wasteland, Fallout 1 and 2 continues on Wasteland 2. 

Torment, oh Torment has now they own spiritual sucesor on Torment: Tides of Numenera 

So, just one is missing: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. 

We need a new steampunk , isometric RPG on this revival. 

I think is Obsidian turn to make it  :w00t:

Obsidian didn't make Arcanum, Troika did. Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera are inxile's, not Obsidian's. Arcanum isn't even steampunk, it's full of magic (and Arcanum's magic and melee combat are blatantly superior to all the tech areas.) Guns are less effective than throwing crap with your bare hands in Arcanum. Even the name "Arcanum" betrays the blatant high-fantasy bias. Edited by AGX-17

@AGX-17, just for your information, fantasy world steampunk is a pretty well-established sub-genre. Consider China Miéville's Bas-Lag series for example. Magic up the wazoo, and steam engines. Arcanum is bang-splat in the middle of that. In fact the "steam" -- technologist -- gameplay is a great deal deeper and better developed than the magic or melee gameplay. Which makes it doubly tragic that it's a candidate for worst balanced game ever. 

Damn thing keeps kicking you in the nuts. There are mechanics in there whose only purpose is to make you scream in frustration, I swear. I just dropped my elephant gun somewhere in the wilderness. Again. So here goes another runaround of gun shops to find a hunting rifle to make a new one. :sigh:

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Ziets on Formspring about the cultural and technology level: [ http://www.formspring.me/GZiets/q/450375950014634053 ]

While this is clearly a few hundred years from steampunk, I think it does have something of an Arcanum vibe to it. There's the same feel of ongoing revolutionary change brought on by new technology. I really like that, especially since it's not been done all that much in fantasy settings -- they seem to tend to stay more or less the same for thousands upon thousands of years. ¡Mucho me gusta!

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I've had great playthroughs of Arcanum. Some of the most memorable was roleplaying a dark elf follower (the traits are really great starting points for character ideas), playing a gnome with no tech and no magic, playing a thief and maxing that set of skills, and many more.

Also, I wouldn't say tech is that inferior to magic (not counting the Harm spell), it just takes more player effort and knowledge of the game. If Harm didn't exist, people would complain about how imbalanced Molotov ****tails were.

It so funny how the character advancement system in Arcanum is so great in many ways, but so broken in others. Every other person seems to have a found an own way to "break" the game.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Yeah. It's so easy to break that finding a way to play that doesn't break it has been a challenge in and of itself. I've got my Beat With An Ugly Stick dwarf technologist, now Firearms Master, and feeling pretty good about popping caps into anything. He broke the game by powerleveling, since I've had to kill everything myself.

The game would be so. much. better. without combat XP.