Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Post Your Mobile Devices!

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6530 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

I recently bought a Mi Pad. It's awesome.

Xiaomi-MiPad1.jpg

It's a Tegra K1 device (the world's first pad with Tegra K1) and my pad scores 42000 Antutu points. Which is phenomenal.

2GB ram, 64GB eMMC, Micro-SD memory slot (I have a 64 GB card, so 128 GB altogether), IPS screen with 2048x1536 resolution, 6700 mAh battery.

It's the same size as an iPad Mini but performance is better. It also has surprising stamina. I've been using it for hours on end, playing Baldur's Gate and watching movies and it just keeps going. Well worth the $385 I paid for it (including freight and ****ing toll).

Where did you buy it?

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts

www.aliexpress.com

It's cheaper now since I pre-ordered mine.

• Pidesco likes this

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5009 posts

Google Nexus 10 tablet and a Samsung 2 (old and starting to die)

456813-121122-nexus-10.jpg

Both work great together and I generally really like Google devices.. Although I am thinking about trying out the Nokia Lumia 635.

Does anyone have good/bad experience with the Lumia series?

• Bokishi likes this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

Trying to get one for my mother but I have no idea what's good. Battery life is important. She would use it for digital camera stuff, web and reading. 

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3264 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Trying to decide which tablet to get my cousin for his birthday so he doesn't buy the cheapest thing at Walmart

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts
I don't do tablets myself, but I do trust NotebookCheck's ratings more than any other source, they're the most reputable source for that kind of review, with objective measurements for things like screen quality. They're actually German, and the reviews are translated from German, so the content is a little EU-centric, but most of it is relevant worldwide.

Top 10 Tablets
Top 10 Smartphones
  • ShadySands likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7458 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I'm thinking of getting a phablet in the future, something 6"-ish.  My dinky 4" screen phone does the job, but I often find myself wishing the screen was bigger and would gladly sacrifice some portability for 2 extra inches of screen space.  I'm not looking at any specific device yet as it won't be until next year at the earliest.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts

I'm thinking of getting a phablet in the future, something 6"-ish.  My dinky 4" screen phone does the job, but I often find myself wishing the screen was bigger and would gladly sacrifice some portability for 2 extra inches of screen space.  I'm not looking at any specific device yet as it won't be until next year at the earliest.

6 inches you say? Well, there's already something out there for you, ridiculously overpowered and extravagant:

http://gadgets.ndtv....launched-571467

• Keyrock likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7458 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

6 inches you say? Well, there's already something out there for you, ridiculously overpowered and extravagant:

http://gadgets.ndtv....launched-571467

Me likey.  With any luck, there will be something even more ludicrously overpowered next year for me to scoop up.  :dancing:

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts

Btw, I checked my Mi Pad this morning: 93% battery left, 2 days 10 hours since charging. I've only used it for browsing Imgur and random news in the morning and when eating these last few days, but still! The stamina on this thing is great!

Also, Ars Technica reviewed the latest Mi phone the Mi4:

http://arstechnica.c...al-but-amazing/

It's a good review and I agree with most of it. It's almost impossible to not be impressed by the hardware of these Xiaomi thingies. Also, it's great that the MIUI Android branch is actually faster than the stock Android. It's unheard of!

http://en.miui.com/

If you want to try it. It's excellent. Ported to hundreds of devices.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4622 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

My mom has a lumia phone and updating it was pain in the ass. You have to download Microsoft Zune to your computer so you can update/patch your phone. Other than that and it being a closed system I don't have any complaints.

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2649 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

My mom has a lumia phone and updating it was pain in the ass. You have to download Microsoft Zune to your computer so you can update/patch your phone. Other than that and it being a closed system I don't have any complaints.

'New' Lumias (WP8.x) don't need any outside software to be updated and they have also removed all other reliance for Zune.

My Lumia 920 has worked fine for last about two years. Only major complain against that I have is lack of some apps that you can find for iOS and android, but app library has gotten much better in last two years and probably will get better in future, as I don't think that MS will stop their efforts to support platform any time soon (but you never know for sure)

Edited by Elerond, 27 August 2014 - 05:24 AM.

• kirottu likes this

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6446 posts
Just imported this Chinese controller mount for my Shield Tablet. Works great when streaming games like Dark Souls 2

imageikksw.jpg

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, its starting to go, but I still have another 6 months or so before I can upgrade on my contract. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 too, its not good, but we got it free when we signed up for our cable subscription.

Slinky

Slinky

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2177 posts

Just imported this Chinese controller mount for my Shield Tablet. Works great when streaming games like Dark Souls 2

Finally a controller like that for tablet, been waiting for ages. Where did you get that and how's the quality?

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6446 posts
I got it from Deal Extreme, it took like 2 weeks to get here (in US)

http://www.dx.com/p/...04#.VAfz-mK9KK0

Build quality feels a bit lightweight, but weight is offset by the mounted tablet's heavyness. Buttons are console caliber and the analog sticks click in for L3 R3, which is great. Many games I tested (mobile and PC) work. I usually have a massive advantage with this thing in the mobile FPS Modern Combat 5, where most are trying to aim their guns with their touch screens, and I go in like I'm playing Call of Duty on xbox and blast everyone away
  • Slinky likes this

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5009 posts

Really liking the Nexus 10, it's a great allrounder - but I gotta say - the Nvidia Shield series is looking mighty tempting for a potential future upgrade.

The prospect of being able to stream all of my gaming, even when I'm cross country sounds awfully awesome.

Slinky

Slinky

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2177 posts

Really liking the Nexus 10, it's a great allrounder - but I gotta say - the Nvidia Shield series is looking mighty tempting for a potential future upgrade.

The prospect of being able to stream all of my gaming, even when I'm cross country sounds awfully awesome.

I'm waiting to see how the next HTC made nexus 9 tablet turns out. I'd really like a tablet for emulator usage with preferably 4:3 display and a controller like the one Bokishi has. Too bad only iPads tend to have 4:3 display, I like it much more than 16:10 android devices tend to have. Would also be perfect for ps1 and older games.

• Rosbjerg likes this

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6530 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

The lack of microsd slots in Google's nexus devices makes what are otherwise excellent devices a useless paperweight for me.

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1318 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
It's never been an issue for since I don't travel a lot, and I have the 16GB version of the Nexus 5, even if I did travel the 32GB version would probably be all I needed. At home I just stream everything I need from the net or my HTPC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users