Post Your Mobile Devices!

Bokishi

I got it from Deal Extreme, it took like 2 weeks to get here (in US)

http://www.dx.com/p/ipega-9023-bluetooth-telescopic-controller-for-iphone-ipod-ipad-samsung-htc-more-337604#.VAfz-mK9KK0

Build quality feels a bit lightweight, but weight is offset by the mounted tablet's heavyness. Buttons are console caliber and the analog sticks click in for L3 R3, which is great. Many games I tested (mobile and PC) work. I usually have a massive advantage with this thing in the mobile FPS Modern Combat 5, where most are trying to aim their guns with their touch screens, and I go in like I'm playing Call of Duty on xbox and blast everyone away

• 3 weeks later...

Really liking the Nexus 10, it's a great allrounder - but I gotta say - the Nvidia Shield series is looking mighty tempting for a potential future upgrade.

The prospect of being able to stream all of my gaming, even when I'm cross country sounds awfully awesome.

Fortune favors the bald.

Really liking the Nexus 10, it's a great allrounder - but I gotta say - the Nvidia Shield series is looking mighty tempting for a potential future upgrade.

The prospect of being able to stream all of my gaming, even when I'm cross country sounds awfully awesome.

I'm waiting to see how the next HTC made nexus 9 tablet turns out. I'd really like a tablet for emulator usage with preferably 4:3 display and a controller like the one Bokishi has. Too bad only iPads tend to have 4:3 display, I like it much more than 16:10 android devices tend to have. Would also be perfect for ps1 and older games.

The lack of microsd slots in Google's nexus devices makes what are otherwise excellent devices a useless paperweight for me.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm waiting to see how the next HTC made nexus 9 tablet turns out. I'd really like a tablet for emulator usage with preferably 4:3 display and a controller like the one Bokishi has. Too bad only iPads tend to have 4:3 display, I like it much more than 16:10 android devices tend to have. Would also be perfect for ps1 and older games.

The Mi Pad I'm using is 2048x1536, That's 4:3 if you're to lazy to calculate. It also uses the Tegra K1 as seen in the Shield.

I'm very satisfied with it so far. Very impressive piece of kit. I especially love the stamina. When I'm writing this, the battery is at 79% and the battery stats say "2 days 21 hours since last charging". My phone needs to charge every day to survive..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I try to steer away of cheap Chinese electronics, bad experiences  ;)

But I'll have another look if all else fails, so thanks for the hint. Seems to have only wifi though, mobile data would be better for me.

Yeah, wifi only. It doesn't bother me since I have a Xiaomi phone too so whenever I get out of wifi range, it automatically connects to my phone and uses it as a 3G hotspot. Not sure if it works so seamlessly on other devices.

Xiaomi aren't really "cheap Chinese electronics" though. That's just ignorance speaking. Xiaomi sells top-of-the-line hardware at production cost and makes money through their services instead. This means they're only cheap compared to other brands because they have no hardware markup, not because they skimped on quality.

I also must recommend the MIUI Android branch. It has actually turned out to be faster than stock Android in tests! It also has a lot of very cool features that are missing from vanilla Android.

..and because I can't get over how great the battery life on this thing is, I just have to post this pic:

Screenshot_2014-09-27-19-14-22_zps94b802

This is after relatively light use (Imgur app in the bathroom, reading news in the morning, watching vides before bed, etc.), but still.. It's damn impressive anyhow!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Exhibit. Its my first smart phone. I never really saw a reason to get a smart phone until now. I like it. I almost got a Galaxy S5 but the more I thought about the price, I changed my mind at the last minute. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on technology, it'll be on my computers.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

• 1 month later...

so, last month I dropped my phone onto a pile of rocks, screen went "bye-bye", replacement costs $100 because this particular model has sensor glued to glass, so can't just replace the glass...

anyway, long story short: used this opportunity to buy a new phone, and as luck would have it a Xiaomi Mi2S popped up on a local Craig's List analog. I just couldn't pass such a good deal (took it for $220), so exactly one year later I'm a proud owner of one of these babies.

I didn't want to order from China because I'd heard a lot of horror stories about fake Xiaomi phones, but this one is the real deal, I had a chance to play with it before buying, and I was instantly hooked. their OS is amazing. it's like a love child of Android and iOS, I don't know how I lived without it all this time

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

OMGGGG WELCOME TO 2012!!1!

Actually, congratulations. It's pretty difficult to not be impressed by Xiaomi's products once you get your hands on them. And yes, the MIUI phone version is truly excellent.

I'm waiting for the Xiaomi MI4 to be released with European 4G and then maybe I'll jump on it. I'm honestly not as impressed by its hardware as I have been in the past (they usually use the very very top edge of the current top-of-the-line hardware, but this time they released a Snapdragon 801-powered device just when Snapdragon 805 reared its head..).

It's kind of a pretty phone though and build quality is said to be excellent, as is par for the course with Xiaomi:

Xiaomi-Mi4-design.jpg

I've heard they removed some features from it, compared to Mi3 and Mi2S, some people say the devs have dropped the ball with their latest phone (with some hardware). but I wouldn't know since I wanted a Mi2S specifically, so didn't keep my eye on the latest devices

my only gripe with my new shiny is how the screen eats battery life if I play games. it goes through 20% of battery's charge in one hour, which is pretty crappy. maybe I should get one of those extended batteries.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Yeah, they did. It's made for the Chinese market and less than 2% (or some number around that order of magnitude) used NFC so they removed it. Dropped the ball is a bit harsh though, it's not exactly a bad phone:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/08/xiaomi-mi4-review-chinas-iphone-killer-is-unoriginal-but-amazing/

The latest version of MIUI (V6) is not as feature complete as MIUI V5 (the one on MI2S) so people are complaining about that too. I don't really mind though. I bought the MI2S very early (pre-ordered actually) so I know what happens to the phone during its lifetime. When I got mine, it was bare bones and buggy. But every Friday they released a new update, like clockwork. And every Friday for at least a year my phone just kept getting better and better. It's been incredibly satisfying to follow this development and every Friday's been like a little Christmas for my phone.

Since they released the MI3 and now MI4, the MI2S isn't getting as much love in the updates any more. But it's OK, it's pretty damn good already.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

After having my beloved Nexus 4 for over 2 years I finally got a new phone, a Nexus 6.

This thing is massive.

This phone is so big it's got a Walmart inside of it and that Walmart is so big it's got another Walmart inside it. I feel like I'm talking on with a laptop held up to my face

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Good timing on the resurrection!

The Xiaomi Mi Note and Mi Note Pro are being released in exactly one week from today (29:th January). The Pro version is obviously the interesting one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2gCM3pUfxk

Mi Note Pro‬ specs:
- Snapdragon 810 64 bit 8-core (Quad-core ARM® Cortex™ A57 and quad-core A53, big.LITTLE configuration) and Adreno 430 GPU
- 5.7” 2K display (2560 x 1440 at 515 PPI) Sharp/JDI
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, 64GB eMMC 5.0 Flash
- LTE-CAT 9, up to 450Mbps download speeds
- Dual 4G SIM (micro/nano), Dual Standby
- Sony IMX214, 13MP camera f/2.0, Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS), Philips 2-tone flash
- 4MP front camera with large 2-micron pixels
- ESS Hi-Fi audio system, 24-bit/192KHz lossless playback support
- 3090mAh lithium-ion battery, Quick Charge 2.0 (60% in 30 minutes)
- 6.95 mm thin, curved Gorilla Glass 3 front and back, 161 grams

It's supposed to cost $530.

• 1 month later...

I decided to get a Smartphone, an InFocus M320u for my birtday two months ago and it was pretty cheap despite being packed with goodies like having Gorilla Class 3, 2 GB RAM and 8-core 1.7GHz and I always know the time in Beijing..

I spend the first day running all kinds of benchmarks and that was pretty impressive. On the second day I installed all kinds of apps. On the third day I reset the phone to the factory settings to get rid of all that junk and installed a bunch of Antivirus. I only have one or two of them left, but I think they have go soon, because they complain about all the factory apps being potentially unwanted..

It's got a pretty nice camera on both the front (8 MP) and the back (13 MP) and a really nice flashlight. It accepts two standard-size SIMS, which means I can always switch back to my durable, but piss-poor, Nokia.

I've already upgraded it to 32 GB and I spent about 40 MB of that.. in only two months.

I've already tried to break it a few times and failed.

It's running Android 4.2, but there is an upgrade path for the Thaiwanese and Japanese models, unfortunately mine is the Chinese one, which also explains the clock..

Oh, I am quite happy.

(Signatures: disabled) 

• 2 years later...

I'm still on a Xiaomi rush. I'm currently owning a Xiaomi Mi5 Pro (very, very good phone) but I'm thinking about upgrading to the Mi6 anyhow. Just for fun. They are so cheap!

Xiaomi-mi5-phone-10.jpg

I use the 4GB, 128GB ceramic backside Pro version.

Only one big flaw: the camera sucks in low light conditions. Otherwise the only flaws I've found are minor bugs in the MIUI OS. They're up to version 8 now. It's still good, just not as good as it used to be compared to vanilla Android. Vanilla has caught up.