Demographics of these forums.

BruceVC

So basically we are all concluding that women have trouble committing to serious long term forum relationships.   :biggrin:

That Dead Island statue is horrific.  Who would buy that?  

I know, and  thats the type of marketing of games  I am vociferously opposed to.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah...you'd think they'd have realized that conceptually, it was a bust.

• Like 9

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

MMORPG = Many Men Online Roleplaying Girls

Too be honest, I must confess I fall to some degree in the category of not believing there are any female gamers. Although they are very few, I know several female gamers myself, so it's not the conceptual part which is a problem. Yet I find myself assuming that people with female avatars in forums and with female toons online are men for some reason.

As a side note, about 50% of my own characters in MMORPGs (yes, I have played MMORPGs on occasion) have been female.

I would really prefer if the Internet did not require you to define your gender in order for you to be able to interact. Obviously this is possible in forums but not in (most) MMOs.

If I was I female gamer I would probably try to conceal my gender when posting online, in order to not be defined primarily by being female but by my opinions. I have once been in a workplace which was very dominated by women and although I was definitely not subject to any discrimination or any wrongdoing there was a really oppressive atmosphere. The few men who worked there kept almost entirely to themselves, maybe that is the case with female gamers as well?

What's this discussion about exactly?

If you want a civil relationship on the internet its going to depend on the other person's upbringing, just like any other relationship. Its the only thing keeping the nastier sides of human interaction from surfacing behind the comfort on anonymity. 

Both genders often fail this simple test as evidenced by Facebook communication, even between people that supposedly "know" each other.

Do you by any chance live in a grimdark alternate universe?

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Yeah...you'd think they'd have realized that conceptually, it was a bust.

:lol: yeah that was good

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Seems pretty realistic to me.
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So basically we are all concluding that women have trouble committing to serious long term forum relationships.   :biggrin:

*logs into forum*

"I think I'll make a quick reply in this thread."

*starts typing but then cat yowls for food and hubby hollers my name*

*runs off and forgets all about the forum for a while....*

...anyway....the Dead Island statue thing doesn't bother me simply because it's so obvious in it's ludicrousness/desire to shock that I can't take it seriously, and I'd suspect that's how it was intended. It's an Evil Dead sort of thing. But since I'm not into decorating my living room with weird horror stuff, no appeal for me. Well...a small statue of Ash in a ripped up shirt with his chainsaw hand upraised might be cool.... but other than that, not a horror collector. ;)

" how do you feel about the general treatment of cats on the Internet and forums, do you feel that people unfairly discriminate against them in comparisons to dogs" ?

:lol:

Catz roolz, dogz droolz, any1 who says otherwize is a fulz.*

*j/k, dogs are cute too. Kinda. Maybe.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Really though, dogs stock have dropped ever since Columbo got his. Isn't that right boy? Stay!

doga.jpg

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

No, I see you all too clearly, on the right

m1830013_BRCOVERART.jpg

• Like 3

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I used to like Rock, Paper, Shotgun. But that bit of comments closed, smug, White-Knighting plus easily the most pretentious piece of pseudo-intellectual BS (the Bioshock Infinite review) has kinda put me off it.

Although the dude who writes Flarepath is awesome.

sonsofgygax.JPG

i was hoping this thread was gonna be like

male

single

partially employed cake decorator

instead its more like "blah blah women blah blah men blah blah"

so im outta here!

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I think it is time settle down and teach the trolls som proper 'net-etiquette:

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

male

single

so im outta here!

I believe this is the thread you want - http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/135-location-no-age-or-sex-required-yet/ - albeit a decade out of date, apparently. 

Time for a new one?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

male

single

so im outta here!

I believe this is the thread you want - http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/135-location-no-age-or-sex-required-yet/ - albeit a decade out of date, apparently. 

Time for a new one?

Wow, a lot of names there that aren't around anymore.

Thats is interesting. I only found Majek, Mkreku and Volourn who actively post nowadays

John Milton 

male

single

so im outta here!

Time for a new one?

>Wow, a lot of names there that aren't around anymore.

Thats is interesting. I only found Majek, Mkreku and Volourn who actively post nowadays

Oi!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Then you only read the first few pages; Meshugger, Purkake, Morgothm GhostOfAnakin, Samm (somtimes), Pidesco, Monte Carlo, Enoch. You get the picture. :)

But that's like from the first week, some of us took a few months to arrive (can't belive it's been 9! years.. crazy)

Now for old school demographic fun.. There's always the Dating Thread.

Fortune favors the bald.

1st old thread a bit before my time. The Dating Thread ... I remember that one, heh. I think my fave thing, besides seeing those old names I haven't seen in a long time, is Big Green's closing post. :lol: Man time flies.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

*logs into forum*

"I think I'll make a quick reply in this thread."

*starts typing but then cat yowls for food and hubby hollers my name*

*runs off and forgets all about the forum for a while....*

I see your husband and cats and raise you a wife, a 2 year old, and a 5 year old :p

I see your husband and cats and raise you a wife, a 2 year old, and a 5 year old :p

Oh, I'd fold on that one. :lol:

...but at least human children do eventually use a toilet/flush, won't butt-scoot all over your floor, and don't get hairballs. ;)

Oh, I'd fold on that one. :lol:

...but at least human children do eventually use a toilet/flush, won't butt-scoot all over your floor, and don't get hairballs. ;)

You hope...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No, even as a guy, I completely understand the desire for women to hide that they are such on gaming sites/ while playing games. As a guy with a high voice, virtually everyone assumes that I am a woman, so I get discriminated against and sexually harassed even though I am a twenty-something straight male. It's depressing every time I get called a fat **** who has "my boyfriend" playing for me, to the point that I will not use xbox live chat or anything else that allows anyone to hear me. It's sad, but true. And if those attitudes exist over voice chat and in games, I can't believe that it would magically change because we switched to a forum with text. If I were a woman, I sure as hell wouldn't admit it on a gaming forum.

• Like 1

No, even as a guy, I completely understand the desire for women to hide that they are such on gaming sites/ while playing games. As a guy with a high voice, virtually everyone assumes that I am a woman, so I get discriminated against and sexually harassed even though I am a twenty-something straight male. It's depressing every time I get called a fat **** who has "my boyfriend" playing for me, to the point that I will not use xbox live chat or anything else that allows anyone to hear me. It's sad, but true. And if those attitudes exist over voice chat and in games, I can't believe that it would magically change because we switched to a forum with text. If I were a woman, I sure as hell wouldn't admit it on a gaming forum.

Thanks for the post, that really doesn't sound pleasant and highlights again the issue around sexism and discrimination that several people have raised that is prevalent in many area's of the Internet

John Milton