Political correctness gone wild

TrashMan

This is something I've been seeing more nad more in the world recently.

In the efforts to enforce "proper" behavior and morals, the politcal correctness crusader become worse than the monsters they are fighting for.

In todays news, Obama was branded as sexist becaue he complemented one female judge, and besides mentioning her being hard-working and all, also mentioned he was good-looking. And s*** hit the fan immediately.

Apparenlty we live in a word where you can't even compliment someone without a bunch of MORONS overreacting.

I weep for humanity.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

The funny part is the woman he complimented is a long-time friend of his.  It is a ridiculous story.  But the backlash against the liberals that called it sexist has been pretty decisive, so I don't see it as a real issue.

Probably just a caase of people needing ammunition to sling at him, so.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The worst thing about this kind of thing is the people targeted generally apologize despite not needing to, which only encourages the situation.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Gorth's second theorem says: c = (political correctness) + (- hypocrisy)

Where c is a constant.

You have a total mass of BS which needs an outlet. If you increase the political correctness, you end up with an equal quantity of hypocrisy

They just seem to go hand in hand, one following the other.

BS doesn't translate well, too much **** ;)

Edited by Gorth
Because my handling of math symbols is rusty
  • Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm not particularly concerned about political correctness. The very notion is one step away from universal hatred. People don't express it for fear of retribution, but that doesn't mean discontent with today's political discourse isn't there. In fact the entire set of beliefs that's lumped together as "liberal" today (even though there isn't much liberty in having a very long list of things you're strictly forbidden from saying) is wearing down quite quickly and will probably find itself on the trash heap of history soon - because they're doing a good job of breeding the very sentiments they're supposedly fighting against.

All ideas, thankfully, come with an expiration date.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Gorth's second theorem says: c = (political correctness) + (- hypocrisy)

Where c is a constant.

You have a total mass of BS which needs an outlet. If you increase the political correctness, you end up with an equal quantity of hypocrisy

They just seem to go hand in hand, one following the other.

BS doesn't translate well, too much **** ;)

Probably better to express it as H ∝ PC :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Socially speaking, we live in good times if political correctness is one of the biggest issues of the day. On the other hand, political correctness is inheritly bad since it is against one the pillars of western civilization: Free spech.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I've got to agree with Trashman. The President has said and done scores of things worthy or criticism and scorn but this is not one of them. My only concern is that he is dead wrong. The best looking state AG is Pam Bondi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pam_Bondi of Florida.

Of course she is a Republican and is in the process of suing the government over Obamacare so I'm pretty sure he hates her. He seems to hold everyone who disagrees with him in total disdain.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That and she's from Flori-duh

She's 48, clearly Ponce De Leon was on to something when he looked for the fountain of youth in Florida.

GD, I remember you were once married and I think it was in Florida, is this the ex missus?

• Like 1

The best looking state AG is Pam Bondi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pam_Bondi of Florida.

Ugh, I'm sorry but she looks like she has had some work done. Nothing TOO obvious, but I would wager she has had some surgical enhancement. That is a bit of a turnoff for me.

Anywho PC is what is killing the world. Some of the left take it to the point where everyone thinks of them as a bunch of spineless pussies, some on the right use it as a club to bash "obscene" statements(or maybe I'm using PC when I should be using moral decency). It isn't very good in either case.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

She's 48, clearly Ponce De Leon was on to something when he looked for the fountain of youth in Florida.

GD, I remember you were once married and I think it was in Florida, is this the ex missus?

:lol:  Not quite! My ex was not that good looking, and not that successful. And she HATED politics. Considering how things turned out I guess that was understandable.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Must be those daily baths in the blood of libruls.

Edited by Drudanae
  • Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I've got to agree with Trashman. The President has said and done scores of things worthy or criticism and scorn but this is not one of them. My only concern is that he is dead wrong. The best looking state AG is Pam Bondi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pam_Bondi of Florida.

That Photo is DEFINATELY heavily shopped

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2012/03/31/e0/b7/PamBondi_946291a_7.JPG

That's one of the better ones. And apparently she's single too for all your 40+ hound dogs.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"Political correctness" is a term people use in order to deride those who call people out for making inconsiderate public statements.  Being "politically correct" is just being polite.  (I have no knowledge of this particular POTUS-related kerfuffle.  It's well below the threshold of what I would consider news worth paying any attention.  I could see how complimenting a judge on her looks could be inappropriate and inconsiderate in particular types of circumstances.) 

The analogy to censorship is ill-considered.  There is no government action and there is no repression of speech.  It's just people being judged by the standards of the society and forced to confront the public relations consequences when they say something inconsiderate, mean, or otherwise unacceptable. 

What puts people off more than anything, I think, is that there are some folks who have become hyper-sensitive to inconsiderate statements by public figures because they've figure out that doing so gets them on the evening news on a consistent basis.  And, yeah, manufactured outrage for personal aggrandizement is annoying.  That doesn't mean that the society at large shouldn't react according to its commonly accepted standards of decorum when a public figure does something insensitive.  

• Like 2

All of our male politicians should be like this:

Metatron2.jpg

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Query:

It seems to me that the demand for political correctness is an attempt to neuter governance. As (I think) pictorially represented above.

1. Is sexual dimorphism something we can logically refute?

2. Is this similar to demands by some sectors for repressing homosexuality.

Disjointed question, but interested.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Socially speaking, we live in good times if political correctness is one of the biggest issues of the day. On the other hand, political correctness is inheritly bad since it is against one the pillars of western civilization: Free spech.

You're free to be a complete twit. You're also free to loath a complete twit. Freedom: everybody wins. :cat:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

You're free to be a complete twit for exactly 5 minutes until the cops arrive and you get fired and blacklisted, for a word out of place.

evgeny-lebedev---stalin-008.jpg

He approves.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

MEh..the problem is that such PC crusaders seem to be getting louder and more obnoxious. Or they are growing in numbers.

Either way, I have been runnign into them ever more frequently over the years.

They raise a ruckus over nothing and generally throw mud at you. Examples are many.

I once got attacked for using the term "fairer sex". Apparently some consider it insulting to women because it alluded to pale complexion and being stuck in the house??? :blink:

Seriously, you cannot even compliment a woman these days.

OR god forbid you say anything, EVER that isn't a 100% endorsment of everything that is jewish/gay/black (insert group here) - you're automaticly a monster.

It's not enough to agree on 99 points with someone.... you have to agree to all 100, exactly and totally.

There was this other forum where an article about a  black cosplayer was posted. Some comments in the article were hatefull and racist and I agreed with such an assesment (that they are wrong), but among those where a few that were pretty innocent and overblown.

I refused to condemn those people and I got immediately banned for it.

Freedom of speech? Tolerance?

It's an irony that in reality we aren't much more tolerant than the most intolerant of biggots - we just have a different filter.

After all, they too don't care what your oppiinion is on thousands of things and will hapily let you speak your mind.

But when it comes to things we really care about, difference of oppinion is in 99% of all cases treaded with hostility.

"Political correctness" is a term people use in order to deride those who call people out for making inconsiderate public statements.  Being "politically correct" is just being polite.

Is it?

What is a "inconsiderate statement" is largely subjective.

The analogy to censorship is ill-considered.  There is no government action and there is no repression of speech.  It's just people being judged by the standards of the society and forced to confront the public relations consequences when they say something inconsiderate, mean, or otherwise unacceptable.

It doesn't have to be a government action.

If you are a trying to force people into your line of thinking and trying to get them to shut up by pressure, then how can you call that free speech in reality?

If all our social/moral "standards" (which are constatnly in flux btw) are subjective, then there is no "right" side so to speak.

If you literaly aren't allowed to express your oppinion for fear of sanctions, then you have no freedom of speech. I mean, you have... but you might as well not for all it's worth.

This is driven by the public though, the government has very little say in this, as evidenced by the President himself coming under fire.  And the backlash can work both ways, because immediately after people reacted to the president's comment, you had a very large response condemning the condemners.  

In regards to your use of the term fairer sex, did you explain to the person that it is a common expression?  They sound fairly ignorant, I don't know why you would pay them much mind at all.