An oportunity to become something Else (supernatural-being) ?

Superpowers  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about Event that gives you some unnatural powers ?

• Im for it even it is unavoidable ( for exampe plot ralated )
    • Im for it ... unles i can't awoid that ( fully optional )
    • I don't care even if it is unavoidable ( plot raleted)
    • If i can avoid it ... i don't care ...
    • Im fully aginst it even is it is optional
  2. 2. If they add this type of even what whoud you like to become ? (multi)

• I don't care or im aginst so nothing.
    • Cursed (Vampire, werewolf)
    • Thypical undead (Zombie, lich etc)
    • Hybrid (Half demon, half dragon etc)
    • Construct based (they cut you arm and give you some supernatural mechanic claws)
    • Multi-Hybrid (1/3 dragon, 1/3 demon 1/3 human etc)
    • Multi (for exampe undead hybrid)
    • other
  3. 3. If they add this type of event what shoud it change or not ? (multi)

• It shoud have big impact on plot/ storyline.
    • It shoud not change anething is storyline.
    • Your relationships or reactions from people shoud change. (some people maybe affraid of you etc)
    • Your relationships or reactions from peaople shoud be like always (not changeing them)
    • This shoud change your look (more white face for undead)
    • This shoud not change your lood ( handsome as always even as a lich)
    • It shoud give you only superpowers no any disadvantages (Vampires walking in sun, undead not resistant o holy atack etc)
    • Beside of superpowers it shoud GIVE you some disadvantages (Vamps burning in sun, werewolfs affected by silver etc )
    • It shoud change a game play a little bit (vampires must drink bool, werewolfs must eat flesh etc)
    • It shoud not change game play (or not adding new elemetns) becouse it will take to much work.

What do you think about an oportunity for gaining some superpowers in game ?

Im thinking in general something of plot related or complatly optional.

For exampe a mad scientist kidnap you and is making some horrible experiments and you become undead, half-demon etc ...

Or mayby in visiting a old mantion a Vampire bites you and you become vampire yourself ...

Or maybe even you make some secret ritual and became a  Lich ? ...

What do you think ?

Edited by Ulquiorra

Whenever I was playing a wizard/sorcerer in NWN1 or 2... or other D&D games,  i was wondering, hell I stopped others from becoming liches, i killed liches... etc, why can't I become one? okay there's the pale master prestige class, but that's not satisfactory...

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves: You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (RIP!)

Whenever I was playing a wizard/sorcerer in NWN1 or 2... or other D&D games,  i was wondering, hell I stopped others from becoming liches, i killed liches... etc, why can't I become one? okay there's the pale master prestige class, but that's not satisfactory...

In D&D for becomening lich a person shoud have to make some secret ritual ... and becomening lich change apierence vary much ...

Besides the whole "Pale master prestige class" has propably crated for those whou want to poses undead powers ...

In oridinal NWN1 if i remember coretly .. at 20 lv (or less) a pale master apierience changed and your left arm becomes sceleton-like ...

In skyrim we have option to become Werewolf or Vampire  .. and from mechanical side it is done very well BUT it does not have proper athmosphere in my opinion ...

And this is sipmply treated as simple addon ... witch i don't want to see ... i want this to become something (plot changeing) ... for example a werewolf offers you his "gift" and you can take it or not .. and even kill that werewolf ... and all those decisions shoud change a game a little .. for example in you take that "gift" you not only become werewolf but some werewolf can help you later (like in DA-O but better) .. id you don't take a gift .. but you walk away ..werewolf become neutral and you don't meet then again ... but if you kill that werewolf, werewolf becomes your enemys .. and a "werewolf-hunters" gulid can contact with you ofering membership ...

but that is just simple idea .. ;)

In D&D for becomening lich a person shoud have to make some secret ritual ... and becomening lich change apierence vary much ...

In oridinal NWN1 if i remember coretly .. at 20 lv (or less) a pale master apierience changed and your left arm becomes sceleton-like ...

In skyrim we have option to become Werewolf or Vampire  .. and from mechanical side it is done very well BUT it does not have proper athmosphere in my opinion ...

at lvl10 of the pale master prestige class (character lvl15 earliest), the arm changes, though it has no effect whatsoever on the game world, not one NPC screamed in terror: "OMG your arm!" rather lame if you ask me (same with red dragon disciple, nobody notices your wings/scales, and you cant even fly)

being a vampire in morrowind was much more fun... you even had new vampire questlines for 3 different vampire clans! :), though they were rather similar... just a fun addition... and a great many NPC-s would not talk to you, even main quest NPC-s, unless you found the cure (mage guild and the Telvani house would still talk to you though, they accept vampires)

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Vampires

btw, in PE something half transcendental, like those ghost like things in Stargate, would fit perfectly, "soul people/race/whatever"

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves: You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (RIP!)

Not particularly against it, but I do wonder how something like this would affect future games, since they said they plan on being able to take the same player character into potential sequels...if it's enough of a success to warrant a sequel (I think it will be)

but as long as it has disadvantages as well as advantages, and if it could carry forward to expansions and sequels without too much difficulty, then why not?

Beciavlt the vamps, were-cratures, and hybrids anr the less complecated to input (were form for were-cratures, color changing for vampires, color changeing for hubrids + addicional traits (sometimes simmilar to godlike) ...

The problem are undead like lich or constructal based ... but they are also easy to input ...

The biggest problem in my opinion is reactions and main plot .... as necromate sad in NWN even if you have wings or sceleton arm still .. not bady gives a **** .... them !

If i whoud seen a winged man in dark alle i whoud propably **** myself ... a very brave people must live in NWN hahaha :)

• Like 1

I'm kind of against it. I really can't stand all that "becoming a God" crap anymore. I don't understand the need of so many players to be an ub0rpwnz0rUltr4m4ge-g0d. A particularly bad example: Skyrim. Being a archmage, a duke, a master thief etc. at the same time? Come on... Are we really playing those games just out of escapism or to compensate our need for "being important"? For once I'd enjoy a storyline, where I'm not able to take a God by his nose-hair while pouring Dwarven ale on his head laughing maniacally. (Well, okay that does sound kind of fun). I'd enjoy something a lot more down-to-eart, a lot more low-power.

Also I'd rather Obsidian focuses on creating a great adventure than making a medieval simulator where everything is possible. Focus is important and everyone seems to forget that.

• Like 2

Elan_song.gif

SophosTheWise

In general i think the whole idea about "Becoming god" is one reason many players .. chose rpg not action game like GTA.

I personaly havo no object about becoming a guy that destroy whole villidge witch one sword blow  ... but only if i have the same powerfull or even more powerful oponents ...

The fantasy setting gives oportunity to feel like half-god or demi-god .. and very powerfull characters in my opinion are the consecuence of that dreams ...

Beside the dragon ball level o power (in 1/2 of dragon ball saga they were able to distoy whole planet) ... but i think that most players want to feel as strong as possible ... maybie in magic, mayby in brutal force, mayby in stalth and lockpicking skills ...

The reason is simple ... ego . ...

Thats wy many people chose rpg games ... why ? Becouse if you make the right progress decisions you get reward of becoming "Some-one raly powerfull".

The skyrim issu is that you are powerfull ... and almost no body else ...

Secondy ... the titles of "Archmage, master rouge etc" ... i think that is bad of thinking that you can get powerfull in both  ...

For exampe ... i want to become so powerfull fighter then one sword blow distoy whole vilidge .. but ... have big disadvantege in magic resistance ...

im a bleach fan .. as you can assume from my nick and avatar .. i there they have big powerlevels ... the main character where powerful ... but in most cases his oponents where more powerfull ...

even if we don't have possibility to become something more then human (beside of elfs etc) and we don't get the same powerlevels i will survive ...but it doesen't mean that big powerlevels (beside od ridiculus DBZ power levels) are bad ...

it all goes down to world desin .. you may play a game where you are demi-god at the beginning and discover that even a goblin is also a demi-god ant what then ?

the same as putting "Realistic" power levels .. but less explosions .. and less emotions from fighting ...

Edited by Ulquiorra

I think this kind things are something that should be leaved to sequels, and in this first game in PE's world Obsidian should consentrate to make good basic rule system and low level campaing using that system. Because if we get high level campaing, with all the super powers in first installment, then it that much harder to invent new things to next game, and that is what I want series  of games of this type that are placed in wolrd of PE (I so hope that Obsidian reveals soon what their world is called :) ).

Edited by Elerond

It's not what powers you gain that's important, but what you do with them. To balance things out, the gaining of any type of superpowers should be counterbalanced with major drawbacks.

Scaling up the potency of the PC by granting him superpowers would push him/her above the capability of most opponents, essentially diminishing the capacity for dramatic conflict and linearizing the progress of the plot. The game may then need to move the story to a different part of the world where the hazards are greater, thereby raising the question as to why the powers in that region haven't spread widely and taken over. I suppose the plot could thereafter be about stopping the spread of those powers, turning it into another "world in peril" fantasy.

Since this setting is soul-centric, one of the hidden goals of a character with an unbroken soul could be to become transcendent; to ascend to a higher level of existence. Gaining superpowers could be a representation of this process. But to make it dramatic, there would need to be some type of resistance to this ascendancy. Someone or something either needs to stop other creatures from ascending, or draws their powers from incapacitating those with superpowers. The greater powers of the PC may draw in those hungry to draw upon their capability. This in turn may significantly endanger others in the surroundings.

Perhaps the religious practitioners of the land have gradually devised a means to deal with this danger by dispatching the source (the PC) elsewhere? As a result, those characters developing superpowers are gradually weeded out of the local population: a PC can choose the path of the normal power level and remain in the lands, or strive for superpowers, be perceived as a threat, and then be voluntarily or forcibly sent away permanently.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

wow, that escalted quickly...
I just want to point out:
supernatural does not equal god lvl superpowers...
let me explain what I had in mind:

let's take being a vampire: be about 30% stronger during night, but NEVER again see the sunlight, take double dmg from fire, most NPCs refuse to talk to you etc

mechanical/steam punk limbs : you take dmg in water, walk slower in cold areas, electrical attacks prevent you from moving, you have to have a repair kit ready at all times (limbs don't heal, they must be repaired), but the character's melee dmg increases significantly

transcendent soul form: you can dissolve into a cloud of energy and deal area dmg, use more spells / spells per day due to your higher intellect, but this intellect is so far removed from a normal mortal's that you are unable to express yourself properly to them (you may switch back to your normal form in some special areas, but then you lose all benefits)

so all in all this is more about spicing things up a little and not about becoming a god

With the knowledge of their own immortal souls and access to powers such as Ciphers and Wizards etcetera weild, our characters are allready supernaturally potent are they not? Then again I never mind a well implemented otherworldly mechanic such as the Soul Devourer of Mask, or the Exiles strange charisma.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So, let me get this straight...

... You had 99 options but a lich ain't one?

8)

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u