RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Steam is just annoying. Having it pop up every time I log in, then just arbitrarily loading a new copy of itself whenever the owners feel like it. I finally removed it altogether.

Huh?  You can very easily tell it not to start up when you log in to your PC.  You can also tell it not to auto update.

Well yeah, I did both but it didn't seem to help. The thing still prompted me to start up in offline mode after every login and it still hijacked my login to do an update. Maybe it's a bug? No matter. In the end it was just cleaner to remove it.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Well good to know from some random blogger :p I don't know why anyone would imagine otherwise though.

There are some that talk up a sort of "us vs. them" mentality.  Though I don't have any direct references off hand.

He did nice by everyone. If he wrote an article about Somali pirates, he would've said that not all pirates are bad and that most pirates respect everyone because they used to be those people too. Blah blah blah.

If I'm going to believe somebody, they'd better not be afraid to break some eggs when writing an article.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Well yeah, I did both but it didn't seem to help. The thing still prompted me to start up in offline mode after every login and it still hijacked my login to do an update. Maybe it's a bug? No matter. In the end it was just cleaner to remove it.

By "after every login" do you mean every time you reboot your PC or every time your PC goes to sleep and you wake it up? The former should happen, the latter should not.

By "after every login" do you mean every time you reboot your PC or every time your PC goes to sleep and you wake it up? The former should happen, the latter should not.

The former.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The former.

Huh, I didnt know you could stop that with a toggle. I guess if its really driving you nuts you could remove that .exe from your startup routine?

He did nice by everyone. If he wrote an article about Somali pirates, he would've said that not all pirates are bad and that most pirates respect everyone because they used to be those people too. Blah blah blah.

If I'm going to believe somebody, they'd better not be afraid to break some eggs when writing an article.

I see.  Not a single type of person that he finds irritating about people that want to be game developers?

If I'm going to believe somebody, they better not talk out of their bum!  Oh well, lessons learned!

Huh, I didnt know you could stop that with a toggle. I guess if its really driving you nuts you could remove that .exe from your startup routine?

I've seen others with complaints about the offline mode doing that sort of stuff...I'd assume it's a bug of some kind since it doesn't seem to be universal. The only time Steam gets cranky (for me) is if you go online and it starts to download stuff and you don't stop it fast enough, then when you go back offline, if you try to play it'll tell you the game isn't ready to be played in offline mode (even if the patch didn't fully DL/install). That's inconsistent in that some games you can stop downalod/installs and still play in offline, some you can't. Patch differences I assume.

I used to remove the Steam on startup via the msconfig but I haven't had to with recent versions of Steam...the toggle works just fine for me.

The "don't update this game" still doesn't work, however, since that only seems to stop Steam updates ... not the game patch updates, if that makes sense. I don't think they'll ever change that aspect.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I see.  Not a single type of person that he finds irritating about people that want to be game developers?

If I'm going to believe somebody, they better not talk out of their bum!  Oh well, lessons learned!

See?? You I believe.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

This is really coming along nicely.

I am really on the fence on this one. The concept looks really nice, but...they jumped on the "bad pre-order bonuses" bandwagon AND it appears to be designed for consoles (or at least controllers)... Getting a crippled game puts me off of buying a regular copy after release (and reviews) and the second puts me off of pre-ordering. I might hold out until a GOTY edition or somesuch, assuming they put in the stuff they cut out as pre-order bonus.

Edited by marelooke

Love how it looks, but of course seems like all the 'cool things you do with memories' are 'go here and press the awesome button then watch the UI move around in a cool manner'. Wait and see.

I like that ^

Wasn't there another zombie survival rpg in production?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Funny teaser for that BL2 DLC. Tiny Tina can be grating (and I'm sure some SJW is revving up to comment on the character being racist or something again) and she'll be narrating this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I like that ^

Wasn't there another zombie survival rpg in production?

State of Decay and Dead State. Lots of states.

Also ROAM.  I helped fund that one and am really looking forward to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xQvvRTP3oU4

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If you want to play the game, wouldn't you be doing a better job of demonstrating that the preorder bonus is a bad idea if you bought the game, sans preorder bonus?

I likely won't get it at release, unless they do something massively to change my mind, because of my aforementioned doubt. By the time I *might* get around to it Wasteland 2 and D:OS will be released. So I guess I'll get it in the bargain bin unless it gets raving reviews (that is, raving reviews from people that matter, the disqualifies most major gaming press right there ;))