RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

My favorite survival horror video game company is Frictional Games, makes of the Penumbra and Amnesia series.  It sounds like The Evil Within will be taking some cues from Frictional and making some of the horror more mental/psychological, and introducing some mind **** mechanics.  If so, I'm all for it.  What made the Penumba games and Amnesia: The Dark Descent so good is the way those games built a constant crushing sense of foreboding, and how they ****ed with your head.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My favorite survival horror video game company is Frictional Games, makes of the Penumbra and Amnesia series.  It sounds like The Evil Within will be taking some cues from Frictional and making some of the horror more mental/psychological, and introducing some mind **** mechanics.  If so, I'm all for it.  What made the Penumba games and Amnesia: The Dark Descent so good is the way those games built a constant crushing sense of foreboding, and how they ****ed with your head.

Yeah those are true horror games and really well done, so Amnesia: Machine for Pigs has been pushed out a little and  will be released in June now. I am very excited about that game. I plan to turn off all the lights, use  my headphones and smoke some weed when I play it. It doesn't get more atmospheric than that :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So yeah, just watched The Evil Within trailer and... yeah, the six-limbed blood thing is probably gonna bug me when I go to sleep tonight, just trying to calm my mind and imagining "but what if that thing's just waiting in the dark?" Ugh.

---

The Save Homeworld campaign's Team Pixel... doesn't save Homeworld

Not all that surprised, considering the type of money they were likely running against. The winner is still unknown, but apparently Paradox came third and Stardock second.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/19/pc-version-of-dark-souls-ii-aint-no-port/#more-150188

Guys take a look at this 12 minute trailer around Game Play in Dark Souls 2, it looks impressive but hard

Advanced AI  and tactics for monsters and real environmental considerations, like using torches, makes this game very exciting IMO :) 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not all that surprised, considering the type of money they were likely running against. The winner is still unknown, but apparently Paradox came third and Stardock second.

Damn!

Well I wouldn't want either Paradox or Stardock taking the license. Both companies have never produced anything remotely close to the grandeur of Homeworld.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

It's interesting how this very stylized horror usually involves barbed wire, asylums (or clean and sterile places turned dirty and run down) mixed with mutations, deformities and generally a mix of biological monstrosity and mechanically torturous.

And of course a huge man with some object as a head.. It's like a sub genre now.

" huge man with some object as a head.."

:grin: you funny

What's there to laugh?

Pyramid Head

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It uses nice tech if nothing else.

Wow thats amazing, I haven't played an MMO in about 2 years but I am watching WOD very closely

John Milton 

It's interesting how this very stylized horror usually involves barbed wire, asylums (or clean and sterile places turned dirty and run down) mixed with mutations, deformities and generally a mix of biological monstrosity and mechanically torturous.

And of course a huge man with some object as a head.. It's like a sub genre now.

" huge man with some object as a head.."

:grin: you funny

What's there to laugh?

Pyramid Head

I believe what he is saying is true, its just the idea of the  concept that makes me laugh. It sounds absurd if you didn't know what he was talking about

"huge man with some object as a head.." is becoming a sub genre  :biggrin:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

They have been working on it but I seem to remember rumours about it not going smoothly and then there was that whole outcry from EVE fans about CCP not giving them enough attention, so they either took staff off of WOD or halted it completely for a while. Some of the systems they were talking about sounded novel though; A single player in each city can be elected prince and one of the perks of the job includes issuing "blood hunts" on other players which opens them up to perma-death, but if you don't manage to keep enough players happy then they can revolt and you will be overthrown. It sounds a bit like roleplaying President Aladeen from The Dictator.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/world-of-darkness-mmo-detailed-permadeath-player-controlled-cities-and-huma

You'll ALL be playing it.

MMO....so....no, not me. :p

Altho if there was ever an organized, Obsidian forum MMO-party-day for some game, I might - emphasis on might - join in for a session. Always thought that would be funny.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Probably Sega then, given the Relic connection.

(I've actually been told it's CDProjekt. But I'm pretty sure my leg is being pulled...)

They have been working on it but I seem to remember rumours about it not going smoothly and then there was that whole outcry from EVE fans about CCP not giving them enough attention, so they either took staff off of WOD or halted it completely for a while.

More likely because they needed to focus on Dust 514 imo. Also the outcry wasn't about "not getting enough attention" but about "spending time and money on non-gameplay essential stuff (clothing etc) to then sell that stuff overpriced in an ingame store" while letting core gameplay stuff that needed fixing stay broken (there are mechanics in EVE that have been known to be broken for over 7 years[!]).

The entire thing is known as "monoclegate" (or the Jita riots) nowadays, see here if you care for more details. The playerbase has only very recently recovered from that debacle btw.

Some of the systems they were talking about sounded novel though; A single player in each city can be elected prince and one of the perks of the job includes issuing "blood hunts" on other players which opens them up to perma-death, but if you don't manage to keep enough players happy then they can revolt and you will be overthrown. It sounds a bit like roleplaying President Aladeen from The Dictator.

Knowing CCP the entire economic system is also likely to be very well developed. If anyone can breathe some new life in the beyond stale MMO industry then I consider CCP to be a very good candidate.

Probably Sega then, given the Relic connection.

(I've actually been told it's CDProjekt. But I'm pretty sure my leg is being pulled...)

Would be nice for Sega to get it. CDPR holding it, yeah that's a joke I think

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/20/first-screenshot-evidence-of-legend-of-grimrock-2-appears-online.aspx 

Nice, Legends of Grimrock 2 will have some outdoor questing.

@Hurlshot

This should make you happy :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

Nice. I rather enjoyed LoG. Don't know if I really want to play another grid based RPG, but its good that its being made in the first place.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Nice. I rather enjoyed LoG. Don't know if I really want to play another grid based RPG, but its good that its being made in the first place.

I have to be honest I haven't even played the first one yet, but its one of my Steam games ready for download.

John Milton 

I bought it, played it and gave up after maybe 3 hours. I loved Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master back in the day, but I feel computer games have evolved in a direction that I really appreciate and I see no need to go back to that type of game. It just didn't grip me at all anymore.

• Like 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!