Disney shuts down Lucas Arts

C2B

Sad for the job losses, but otherwise doesn't really affect me much. And yeah...not very surprising.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So we're never getting HD remakes of their great adventure games.

(since if there's Disney name on them, it's just not the same.)

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

i'd have killed the studio too. They couldn't seem to understand what their customers wanted.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So we're never getting HD remakes of their great adventure games.

(since if there's Disney name on them, it's just not the same.)

Well we've already had another developer continuing Sam & Max and Monkey Island for awhile now.

My favorite was after Escape From Monkey Island was successful, and they announced new Sam & Max, and Full Throttle games.... Which they proceeded to cancel to bring us more Star Wars games (good and bad.)

At least we got Telltale Games from it.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

So, what do people reckon to the chances of OE's Star Wars RPG pitch, in the light of this?

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

RIP LucasArts 1982-1998

Eh, go up to 2000. X-Wing Alliance was solid and EMI weren't all that bad. Shame to see it go, more so for sentimental reasons.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So, what do people reckon to the chances of OE's Star Wars RPG pitch, in the light of this?

Well that does seem to fit Disney's shift to a "licensing model", so I'd speculate that the odds have improved.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Well that does seem to fit Disney's shift to a "licensing model", so I'd speculate that the odds have improved.

Pretty much. They're also open to having 1313 saved by licensing, so it doesn't seem like they want to prevent pre-new movies games

"It is worth noting that we are looking for proven external partners who can help us provide video games to our fans. We still believe in the video game industry, we still will provide Star Wars games, we're just looking at different models rather than internal production... They're evaluating everything. There's always a possibility that it [star Wars 1313] can still come out via licensing."

Really, it was all downhill after they changed their name from Lucasfilm Games. Right Bobbin Threadbare?

Loom-SkyOpen.gif

That's him witnessing the destruction of the studio.

Do you have anything to add to this, Zak McKracken?

Zak_Animation1.gif

That was Zak's way of saying LucasArts was about to be toast, but in German.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

No more star wars games ??!

There's a good chance however they're gonna find a new deal with someone to finish 1313. Would be a shame not to pursue completion of it.

Agreed. The concept of moving away from a force/lightsaber-centric game yet sticking to the SW universe is intriguing, and the result may be a more gritty, down-to-earth experience. Some will love that approach; some will hate it.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Yeah I hope that 1313 can find a home - more importantly I hope the employees can find new jobs quickly as well.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Eh, go up to 2000. X-Wing Alliance was solid and EMI weren't all that bad. Shame to see it go, more so for sentimental reasons.

X-Wing Alliance, along with the rest of the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter series, was actually done by Totally Games. And XWA was an incomplete game as you never were able to catch up to and deal with your backstabbing uncle. TG was told by LucasArts to either release what they had by a certain date or don't release it at all because of the Phantom Menace movie coming out in the not too distant future and LucasArts wanting to "clear the deck" of all of the Episode IV-VI material.

LucasArts, I will not miss you at all.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/