The Kickstarter thread (PnP edition)

rjshae

In tabletop RPG news:

Nice to see the hobby is alive and well.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 4 weeks later...

A funny thing I just read on Penny Arcade that reminded me of when I was in Grade 9:

D&D and the devil: One man is trying to send up radical Christianity by taking it seriously

One of the first projects that my 2nd Art teacher in grade 9 (I got moved when my first class was over-filled) gave us to do was to draw a head shot. I can't remember what I drew, but my friend Steve drew a hobgoblin's head from the Monster Manual. When he went to turn it in, she wouldn't accept it.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Because it has to do with Dungeons & Dragons." she replied.

"What's wrong with Dungeons & Dragons?" he asked.

"Dungeons & Dragons make people kill themselves." she replied.

I probably got into the conversation at that point. I don't remember what else was said, but what I will always remember was what we did for the rest of the year in her class. Any time we would act up or stuff, we would say "Dungeons & Dragons made me do it!"

She threw out so much our work that year. Anything that had anything remotely to do with D&D, she would not accept; even if it had nothing to do with why we originally made/drawn something. Even our Ren & Stimpy clay figures we made she wouldn't accept. The kiln always happened to be broken, or was already being used that day. Finally after a while she just said straight up she wasn't accepting them. I think I did 6 or 7 final projects at the end of the year. We only had to do 3, but she kept rejecting my work for whatever reason.

Interestingly enough, her main job at the school was as a guidance councellor. In fact, while I was doing all that crap in her class, she was great for me when I was having a problem with another one of my teachers who had a tendency of not liking the hockey players in her class (or their direct relatives, in my case) and I tried getting out of her class before I failed it. That teacher would give me zeros if I corrected a mistake I noticed on my diagrams, or would mark stuff wrong on my tests when it was right (My cousin & I: C - wrong. 3 People by us: C - right)

------

Dark Dungeons: The Movie Kickstarter has made its target. ($14,980/$12,500)

-------

Strangely enough: I've had a few characters die on me; and suicide has not crossed my brain once. :lol:

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

The thing that always amused me was how none of the chick tracts or whatever bothered to ask what we DID with the wizards and demons in the dungeons. The answer being "set fire to them, chopped them into salsa, and seized all their misbegotten treasure" you'd have thought they'd approve.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Only if you gave all the money to the church, and prayed for forgiveness. Each time. :biggrin:

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Someone should invent a system based around throwing darts at a dartboard, and drinking shots of bourbon.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the updates.

If you have time it would be interesting to get your perspective on what the key features of the successful ones are.

-Elwood Blues

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the updates.

If you have time it would be interesting to get your perspective on what the key features of the successful ones are.

For what it's worth:

• Freeport: the City of Adventure -- a Pathfinder setting in a port city with pirates, rogues, cultists, and so forth.
  • Achtung! -- Lovecraftian horror setting during World War 2.
  • Throne of Night -- stand-alone Pathfinder adventure in the underground world.
  • Wicked Fantasy -- Pathfinder setting featuring redesigned fantasy races.
  • The Guide to Glorantha -- Two volume guide to Glorantha for any system.
  • Sovereign Stone -- Looks like a traditional fantasy setting by a collaboration of Larry Elmore, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman. The KS is based upon the Pathfinder mechanics, with new creatures, magic, and setting.
  • Crimson Exodus -- A skills-based RPG system with the usual fantasy elements.
  • The Elves of Uteria sourcebook -- A sourcebook of elves detailing five different cultures.
  • Witch Hunter: The Invisible World -- 2nd edition of a cinematic, free-form RPG based upon the works of Solomon Kane. It is set in an alternate history 1690.
  • Like 2

Interesting. So a good scattering of fantasy ones.

Thinking back I believe my question was more along the lines of which ones actually delivered.

-Elwood Blues

Interesting. So a good scattering of fantasy ones.

Thinking back I believe my question was more along the lines of which ones actually delivered.

It's hard to tell without looking at the finished product. Perhaps we'll see reviews on rpg.net down the road.

• Conquest of the Universe -- a space-opera campaign book in a high-tech fantasy setting, using the Pathfinder system. Successful: $6,140 pledged.

The Ministry Initiative -- includes a new steam-punk role-playing game. Successful: $30,480 pledged.

World Beneath the Clouds -- A setting book about the alternate world of Venus in the Hive, Queen, and Country steam-punk universe. Successful: $3,055 pledged.

• Like 1

Cool. Keep it coming.

-Elwood Blues

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1710667762/the-chuubos-marvelous-wish-granting-engine-rpg?

The Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine is the current project by Jenna Moran. She created Nobilis and apparently bits of Exalted that are in high regard. Like Nobilis, Chuubo is a diceless PnP. It's a very flexible system that allows (and sometimes encourages) for multiple genres to be used. Have you ever wanted to play Adventure Time in a PnP? Doable and in the wheelhouse already of Chuubo. It celebrates the convergence of the small (you keep your room tidy and enjoy ice cream) with the large (defeat the God of the Underworld with your cleanliness and penchant for melty confection).

This is the first warm and whimsical RPG I've explored and I have a long way to go. There's about 36 hours before the KS finishes. It's about 8k away from hitting the final stretch goal but at the moment it's 900 from hitting a miniature stretch goal. As a campaign, it's been similarly peculiar as the game is but very generous.

I think anyone who appreciates shows like Adventure Time or played Homestuck (which I learned about during the course of Chuubo) would really enjoy this game. You don't have to go by these garbled words of mine though. You can look at all the material currently available even if you pledge just $1. All of the working drafts for the Core Book and the first two supplements are available for perusal in a Dropbox account. It's an honor system here. From $15 and up, you're encouraged to keep the working drafts. Below that amount, it's hoped that you'll download and delete after review if the game isn't working for you.

Sorry for the overly solicitous description. I'm just hoping it hits the last benchmark and I'm trying to impart some of the benefits/virtues (commercially) in the current standing. Also, I will only have a chance of playing in a game with those that Play By Post and this helps hopefully to that end if any of you both play that way and check this out should it catch your fancy. If I'd seen something about Golden Sky Stories sooner, I'd have jumped on that game so fast. I just learned about that game two days ago and it looks like a blast as well as being very generous to those that got in on the ground floor.

Not sure if any of that actually addresses the OP and I know the rest probably won't. I'm mentioning this in the off chance that there are games of interest people can point me to in the future in this thread and I want to introduce myself. I'll try to use a spoiler box though to confine the verbiage.

Random details about myself: I'm an old newbie to PnP in that I've collected a lot of gamelines but have never been able to play in a concerted live campaign. I got drawn back in when I bought Wasteland 2 and browsed the Games section where I reignited my PnP passion with this game:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seraphina/avarice-industries-rpg-a-game-of-dreams-and-profit

It's still being put together but I liked/like the modern madcap setting. Kind of a Transmetropolitan world without any agendas like the comic had written into it. When it releases eventually in DTRPG and in a comic/game shop near you, I'd check it out.

From there I reconnected with White Wolf/Onyx Path and supported Mummy: The Curse as well as Exalted 3rd Edition.

Transhuman stems from an awesome series I learned of and invested in upon supporting TH. It's an expansion of Eclipse Phase. As well as being kick-*** scifi, I believe it succeeds in no small part because the Core book can be downloaded for free legally since they decided to designate it in public domain via the Creative Commons License. Or I think that's what the CCL does. In any event, check them out. They prefer it obviously if you purchase EP but it is tmk still available for public consumption.

Witch Hunter---I took a chance with it. The setting sounded good and I got caught up in the campaign. Too much so. Doesn't reflect poorly on the game though. I wish I could get the previous edition sent to me though as I only have access to a quickstart of the new rules despite the endowment.

Call of Cthulu 7th Edition: I got Lovecraft fever.

And I will probably end up supporting Changing Breeds, a supplement for Werewolf the Apocalypse: 20th Year Anniversary Edition as I would like to see all the classic lines get a -20 reboot. Next up is Mage. If that does well enough (somewhere between Werewolf and the stratosphere aka Exalted), Wraith should get one and maybe Demon will as they're making a NWoD version. Or it won't for that precise reason. Anyway, yeah. Want all the 20s :)

That's about it. Seems like a beefy first post to me :p. Sorry if it was too much.

I promise this is the last Chuubo post. The KS campaign had a crazy last day. It went from me being a little skeptical that there'd be a completed second supplement book for Chuubo. Enthusiasm took over though and that book is not only secured for $15 pledge and up but two more goals were reached. The reason I'm bringing it up here is the print version of Glass Dragon funded with a relatively small window for people to avail themselves of (8 hours). In the event that such a scenario occured, Jenna Moran decided to open up PayPal for a week for anyone that either wanted to purchase that printed book or pledge at all be it for Chuubo Core or more. And here's the less altruistic reason I bring this up:

From the beginning, there were slim possibilities that Nobilis 2e or as some call it, "The Great White Book," would get a revival. It didn't look like it could happen because of how slim the 80k Chuubo Glass Dragon was for fruition. It concluded at about 90,100. If we can hit 95k before July 23rd, pledgers from $50 and up will receive a PDF of a newly created Nobilis 2e. I bring it up here because I've heard many people have wanted it back for a long time. All of this is new to me so I want my first crack if possible. Chances are decent it will happen I think. 7 days with 4900 left needed---700 a day. New pledges and people increasing preexisting should make it so. In the off chance one person checks this out though from all these words, this is worth it.

No more jibber jabber. I'll post the original KS page and the current link to where payments are being made now. If there are any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Original Page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1710667762/the-chuubos-marvelous-wish-granting-engine-rpg

Current Page for PayPal (along with Eventual Complete Successor I believe):

http://imago.hitherby.com/2013/07/fortitude-the-glass-makers-dragon-in-print/

Just so it's not all about the coffers, here's two that I'm looking at but haven't pledged yet. Might have already posted the link to one but I don't remember.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-w20-changing-breeds

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1176616619/shadows-of-esteren-a-medieval-horror-rpg-travels

For Esteren, you can download the Prologue book at drivethrurpg.com to see if it's something you want to pledge. They have a link in the KS to go there. For Changing Breeds, you can click a link at the KS page to a Read Only document for a rough draft of the entire book.

I know this was pushy but I hope it doesn't dissuade from just giving a look at Chuubo if nothing else. Thanks and have a good night/morning. And now I really will get some sleep.

Another update...

Edited by rjshae

All the working drafts are up for pre-PP pledgers to Chuubo. I'll make inquiries as to whether the Dropbox with all the backer files will be accessible to PP pledgers as it was for KS people. Each update was a big factor for the initial people and anyone who might be interested here should get the same opportunity. I'm sure something will be worked out.

In the interim, I'll pass on two other PnPs that somehow eluded the very thorough and helpful rjshae (I didn't know about half of the ones listed just now so not a big coup bringing these here :p) I'm still making my way around here so I'll have to write out the names before the link. They won't display neatly. Sorry. I'll try to otherwise be as helpful and informative as rjshae.

Barbarians of Heavy Metal the RPG: It's described as a post-apocalyptic rock & roll RPG in the 31st century. It uses a version of the BoX system developed by Simon Washbourne and utilized previously/presently in Barbarians of Lemuria. I've tried to do some sleuthing re: what that is exactly but divorced from describing Lemuria I wouldn't be able to find out. They want to bring back traditional PnP RPGs in the sense of packaging everything you need into one thing, which they try to do in regular and novel ways. The novel one being an app that can run and apparently holds everything needed (Android only for now). Also in print and PDF. From a cursory read of Heavy Metal though, it seems like a tabletop Brutal Legend (a videogame by Double Fine about heavy metal that mixed third person action-adventure with strategy games). Could be fun. $5,286/$15k with 22 days to go. The first link is pre-KS chronicling the construction of the game. Next is for KS itself.

http://www.strangestones.com/category/games/barbarians-of-heavy-metal/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jabberwockymedia/barbarians-of-heavy-metal-the-rpg

Mechanica: Empires of Blood and Steam- "A unique game combining steampunk and material from the works of H.P. Lovecraft, set on an alternate earth full of horror." $2,927/$3,750 with 27 days to go. Their description seemed concise enough to let it speak for itself.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1383358712/mechanika-empires-of-blood-and-steam-core-rulebook

That mechanica project looks pretty cool. I just watched their video and read the page.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

• 2 weeks later...

• Tears of a Machine -- mecha anime-style RPG with teenage pilots; currently at $5,056/$7,000 with 69 hours to go. Might still make it...

Ponies for Pathfinder -- a... ahh... pony-based setting, currently at $2,509/$3,850 with 25 days to go. Shades of Bunnies & Burrows.

The Arcanum 30th Anniversary Edition -- An updated release of the Arcanum Role-Playing System, currently succeeding at $2,340.

N.R.G. System Core Rulebook -- sword-and-sorcery setting based on d20, combined with an "Energy" system; currently succeeding at $2,161 with 17 days to go.

I backed Red Aegis but I might not stick with it. The concept is cool---progression through family dynasties---but I probably need to cut back lol. Reason I'm bringing it up is I secured the last $40 tier slot which entitles the pledge to any SGs reached during the course of the campaign. I'll have a better idea around the five day left mark as to whether it's worth it for me to remain with it and as a courtesy I wanted to let anyone here know when I'll be releasing that slot if I do. If I do and it's of interest to anyone, please PM me. I'll wait two days before releasing it otherwise so as to give anyone else that I can't talk with a chance to pluck it up.

Sorry if any of that sounds unsavory.