The Kickstarter thread (PnP edition)

rjshae

Well, I got the PDF versions of my Numenera books (Core Book & Players Guide).  I'll get my physical Numenera Core Book in about 2 weeks. I guess I have a lot of reading to do.  

/rubs hands together

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well, I got the PDF versions of my Numenera books (Core Book & Players Guide).  I'll get my physical Numenera Core Book in about 2 weeks. I guess I have a lot of reading to do.  

/rubs hands together

The Player's Guide is pretty nice so far.  I wasn't quite ready to spring for the full (dead tree) guidebook at $60 bucks, but I'm considering it now.

/rubs hands together

The Player's Guide is pretty nice so far.  I wasn't quite ready to spring for the full (dead tree) guidebook at $60 bucks, but I'm considering it now.

Yeah, I'm only about 40 pages or so into the core book so far, but I'm really liking the system, it seems very flexible, fairly simple, yet gives you a lot of control over your actions.  I like the idea of being able to apply extra effort into actions whenever you feel the need to, but it draining your stat pool and leaving you with less to work with and more vulnerable as the encounter progresses.  Obviously I can only speculate as to how well it will work until I actually put it into use in a campaign (whether as a GM or a player).

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm keep teetering on the fence of whether to purchase (yet another) rule-set and then I ask myself, "when am I ever going to be able to play/run a Numenara campaign?"  I just barely scraped together enough people recently to play Castles and Crusades, and I've got Dungeon Crawl Classics beckoning me to use it from my bookshelf.  If people start bugging me to run a science-fantasy or Dying Earth game, then maybe, but for now I think I'm going to pass.

A few more:

• Pirates & Dragons, the RPG -- "Pirates Love Gold! Dragons Love Gold! When the terrors of the sea meet the terrors of the sky, there's bound to be trouble!" Treasure seekers journey to the new world, only to discover dragons. Rules based upon Renaissance D100 system. Includes a hardcopy rulebook. Currently £1,205/£12,000 with 31 days to go.
  • Ronin: Chrome & Shadows -- "A post-apocalyptic cyberpunk setting for Savage Worlds. Massive metroplexes, syndicates and megacorps in an irradiated wasteland." The game is licensed and undergoing testing. Includes a PDF core book; no physical copy. Currently at $2,221/$6,000 with 14 days to go.
  • Inscrutable Puzzlements: An Anachronistic Victorian Era RPG -- "An original ruleset accompanied by a Victorian setting with Gothic horror, steampunk, mystery, and fantasy elements." Succeeded at $1,700.
  • Parahuman System Free Superhero Campaign Setting -- "Parahumans have always been with us, though we have not always recognized them as such.  In ancient times they were worshiped as gods and demigods. Today, they are worshiped as celebrities." Succeeded at $705.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm liking the inscrutable puzzlements one. It's a good pitch.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It looks like Kickstarter is working out pretty well for most indie PnP RPG projects. Of the Kickstarter projects listed in this thread prior to August 10th, most are, or have been, successful... a few spectacularly so. I only found two that failed to reach their goals:

**** me. That's good going.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's interesting that the Fudge-based Fate system did so well--the original goal was $3,000! I'd never heard of it before.

There's a lot of potentially good gaming material there; I particularly want to have a look at the Traveller and Glorantha releases.

If people are looking for an alternative to pewter/plastic minis, these hardwood tokens (and other stuff) seems like they could be pretty good.  I backed at a pretty modest level and the guy running the campaign has been very communicative at a one-on-one level.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/60680001/ironwood-engraving-affordable-role-playing-tokens

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few more:

Plus an intriguing virtual desktop for tabletop-style RPG: 3D Virtual Tabletop: Visually Stunning RPGs on iPad, Android

The Kickstarted Traveller5 got a somewhat low rating on rpg.net, saying it was sparse on substance and needs work. That's unfortunate.

Not sure I fully understand how a 656 page book can be sparse on substance... But stuff like leaving out an index seems weird.

-Elwood Blues

More projects:

• DemonWars: Reformation -- This is an old-school tabletop RPG focused on fast set-up, engaging combat and open-ended non-combat action. It is located in Corona, the setting for 11  R.A. Salvatore novels. Successfully funded at $88,245.
  • Beyonder RPG: Imagine With Us -- A new world setting ruled by ten races, including humans; instead of the standard classes, players choose their characters based on one of six energies. Features some nice artwork. Currently at $2,755/17,500 with 28 days to go.
  • The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook -- "A supplement to help tabletop roleplaying GMs create adventures and to allow players to play solo games with any RPG as both GM and PC." Currently succeeding with $3,674.
  • The Robotic Age RPG -- "An original role-playing game about androids and cyborgs squaring off with plasma cannons and energy swords." It features some decent-looking artwork by Daniel Olsen. Currently at $1,663/$7,000 with 30 days to go.
  • The Fastest RPG I've Ever Played - Abstract Dungeon -- "A fast and simple roleplaying game. Create a character in five minutes and go on an epic adventure in two hours." Currently at $2,186/$3,000 with 7 days to go.
  • Mazaki No Fantaji Role-Playing Game -- "A cinematic Tabletop RPG inspired by stunning anime and immersive JRPGs, using qualitative stats and a unique, tile-based system." Currently at $5,016/$16,000 with 24 days to go.

• Mazaki No Fantaji Role-Playing Game -- "A cinematic Tabletop RPG inspired by stunning anime and immersive JRPGs, using qualitative stats and a unique, tile-based system." Currently at $5,016/$16,000 with 24 days to go.

What the **** is that supposed to mean?

jackie-chan-meme.jpg

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

What the **** is that supposed to mean?

I think a cinematic game focuses on scenes in a story (plot), so it's more about focused drama and less of a sandbox approach.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still more:

• Dawning Star: Fate of Eos -- This is a re-launch of the sci-fi Helios Rising setting using the Fate Core system.
    Currently at $5,138/$10,000 with 26 days to go.
  • Accursed RPG -- "A dark fantasy tabletop RPG setting for the Savage Worlds game system, where heroic monsters fight for redemption. In a world of dark fantasy and perilous adventure, the forces of evil have triumphed. Those who remain uncorrupted by wickedness must rely upon monsters to fight against the darkness." Succeeding at $12,510 with 23 days to go. Sounds interesting.
  • Stab City! Role Playing Game -- "A role playing game of high-octane action, gonzo criminals, and badass assassins.
    It's a game about secretive cabals and mysterious organizations battling in the shadows, a world of gritty intrigue, cigarette stubs and dark, rainy nights. It is also a game about ninjas, supervillains and massive special effects budgets." Succeeding at $4,441.
  • Infected -- "Infected is a tabletop roleplaying game about living through (or failing to live through) an undead apocalypse. There are also strong eldritch horror elements available." Succeeding at $498.
  • Out of the Blue - The Buddy Cop RPG -- "A storytelling game for three players that evokes the action, humor, and unpredictability of a classic Buddy Cop movie." Seems to be a board game/RPG hybrid. Succeeding at $1,562.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody is into Frog God Games's stuff (Tome of Horrors, Swords and Wizardry Complete, Rappan Athuk, etc.) They're doing a kickstarter for their "Lost Lands" campaign source book.  It's going to be spendy, but it's estimated to be 500+ pages and built for sandbox play for levels 1-20.  Speaking from personal experience, all of the stuff of theirs I've purchased has been of the highest quality in terms of editing, writing, organization and creativity.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/froggodgames/the-lost-lands-sword-of-air?ref=category

Also Reaper is doing another "Bones" miniatures kickstarter.  A fantastic way to get a huge assortment of high quality, plastic minis

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-ii-the-return-of-mr-bones

They just keep on coming. Nothing really grabs me in this group, but tastes vary so here you go:

• Dragon Kings -- A rules agnostic fantasy game world, with PDF rules supplements for Savage Worlds and Pathfinder. Currently at $20,226/$29,000 with 40 days to go.
  • Darklands: First Edition -- A skirmish miniatures wargame in a fantasy setting. Not really a RPG as such. Succeeding at £77,020 with 12 days to go.
  • Aeon Wave - A Cyberpunk Scenario for Fate Core -- Pretty much what the title says: a single-shot or short run cyberpunk scenario for the Fate Core game system. Includes a downloadable sample. At $833/$1,000 with 27 days to go.
  • Amethyst - Fantasy & Technology Collide -- Reboot of the setting for Pathfinder and D&D 4e. At $1,540/$8,000 with 27 days to go.
  • CBL: Characters-By-Level for Pathfinder RPG -- "Pathfinder compatible pre-generated NPCs that come with Hero Lab portfolios and high quality character art files." This is a monthly subscription. At $681/$13,000 with 27 days to go.
  • The Unhallowed Horror Fantasy Roleplaying Adventure Path -- "A three part horror fantasy adventure path for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game!" At $2,021/$5,000 with 27 days to go.
  • Kromore 2145 RPG -- "A new Space/Steam RPG Tabletop Game." Failing at $10,700/$20,000 with 3 hours to go...
  • March Against Darkness -- "A gritty medieval roleplaying game with an easy to learn and play system, and a richly detailed world." Succeeding at $4,320.
  • Josiender Rulebook and The First Saga -- "a fantasy Tabletop RPG featuring multilayer puzzles, rich ecosystems, ever-progressing timelines, and the Discipline System." At $1,127/$9,000 with 25 days to go.
  • Like 1

• Stab City! Role Playing Game -- "A role playing game of high-octane action, gonzo criminals, and badass assassins.

It's a game about secretive cabals and mysterious organizations battling in the shadows, a world of gritty intrigue, cigarette stubs and dark, rainy nights. It is also a game about ninjas, supervillains and massive special effects budgets." Succeeding at $4,441.

Let's not forget that it coined the phrase "Michael Baysian Anime Magical Realism"  :grin:

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

• 2 weeks later...

• Clockwork: Empire Roleplaying Game -- "a steampunk roleplaying game set in a Victorian world of gothic horror. Clockwork: Empire uses a completely original set of mechanics. Skill resolution utilizes a 100-card play deck that all players share." Succeeding at $14,103.

Plight of the Tuatha -- a series of four Pathfinder modules intended to introduce you to the Imperiums Campaign Setting. Currently at $386/$1,000.

Unwritten: Adventures in the Ages of Myst and Beyond -- "The worlds of Myst and D'ni are yours to explore in this FATE Core-driven tabletop RPG of Adventure, Discovery & Accomplishment". Succeeding at $15,745.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New this week: The Strange, a Tabletop RPG by Bruce Cordell and Monte Cook

"Explore mysterious worlds hidden just outside our reality in this new RPG using the story-based Cypher System of Numenera."

"The Strange is a cosmos-sized artifact built in the afterglow of the Big Bang. The original alien builders lost control of it eons ago, but their dark energy network remains 'beneath' our universe. For those on Earth who've discovered it, everything is different. These select few know that the Strange hosts recursions: unique but limited worlds with their own laws of science and even magic, seeded into the network by the creative resonance of pure imagination, but still nonetheless very real."

It is currently succeeding quite nicely at the sum of $177,865 with 28 days to go.

c843e9f8142d4f3a513e63e70d4b9e8e_large.j

4426b91c227899b65149e96283059697_large.j

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

Now this seems to have the concentrated weird I miss from Numenera. Also, the system will be solid, this much we can already tell. I'm seriously considering backing.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."