Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter

C2B

I find the combat a little confusing. :wacko:

Turn based?

Nah, I don't mind TB. I just wasn't "getting it" in the first battle. It took me a few seconds to realize that each party member can perform multiple actions per turn until they run out of action points. Just n00b error is all.

Also, is there any way to memorize the scrolls you find? I only saw; use, drop, destroy.

I find the combat a little confusing. :wacko:

Turn based?

Nah, I don't mind TB. I just wasn't "getting it" in the first battle. It took me a few seconds to realize that each party member can perform multiple actions per turn until they run out of action points. Just n00b error is all.

Also, is there any way to memorize the scrolls you find? I only saw; use, drop, destroy.

Gfted1 are you sure you were playing the English version of the game? I can imagine if you were playing, for example, the Flemish version it would have been confusing on a number of levels .....  :ermm:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I haven't been following this game or any updates and haven't bought it. So it's action points like Fallout? I'd be interested to know how the combat works.

I'd be interested to know how the combat works.

It seems pretty cool. One of the things you can do is combine spells for additional effects. For example, two of your starting spells are "Oil" and "Flare" (or something like that). So I first cast Oil to slow the enemy and then cast Flare to ignite the Oil, which burns everyone in the Oil radius. Ill post more as I advance.

I am not allowed to play this game today because it's made by Belgians.  Today, Belgians are my mortal enemies.  I will fight them to the death.  To the death, I tells ya!

:wowey:

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Action points are like Fallout. Gifted, stick with it for more than 15 mins and you won't be confused. :p

GOG have been dumb idiots and have delayed release to non-Kickstarters to August 31 so they can launch it with their new shiny Galaxy crap that is going to make it more like Steam. No thanks, if you're going to stop being no-frills cheap old games then I might as wel go to Steam.

Anyway, most importantly:

post-59-0-81408000-1404188900.png

Freud, Talents: 

"Know It All decreases everyone's attitudes towards you by 20 points but give you 1 intelligence"

Nietzsche, Talents:

"Pet Pal allows you to talk to animals."

:disguise:

emot-wotwot.gif

• Like 7

GOG Version will be partly destupidified after GOG realises what colossal idiots they were:

We'd like to make sure that our reasons for delaying Divinity: Original Sin are clear. The game has multiplayer features to play with friends online. In the future, we will be supporting such multiplayer features in new games thanks to GOG Galaxy (and bringing you more games along the way), however, as of today we do not provide multiplayer backend and components for games. 

We did not believe it would be fair to offer you a version of Divinity: Original Sin that does not include these features, we also, without a doubt, underestimated the number of people who would want to play the game regardless. We wanted to make sure that the GOG.com community gets the complete Divinity: Original Sin experience. 
Guys, your voices have been heard. We have to admit that we should have done it differently! 

We will release Divinity: Original Sin in the next few days. We are working on the Windows version of the game right now and waiting for the Mac build to arrive. The version of Divinity: Original Sin that will be available for sale, will be complete content-wise, and will allow for local/direct-IP multiplayer, but will come without the online matchmaking component and game auto-updating, which will be introduced as a later updates. 

Please bear with us and sorry for not providing full explanation in the first place[\quote]

• Like 1

GOG Version will be partly destupidified after GOG realises what colossal idiots they were:

We'd like to make sure that our reasons for delaying Divinity: Original Sin are clear. The game has multiplayer features to play with friends online. In the future, we will be supporting such multiplayer features in new games thanks to GOG Galaxy (and bringing you more games along the way), however, as of today we do not provide multiplayer backend and components for games. 

We did not believe it would be fair to offer you a version of Divinity: Original Sin that does not include these features, we also, without a doubt, underestimated the number of people who would want to play the game regardless. We wanted to make sure that the GOG.com community gets the complete Divinity: Original Sin experience. 

Guys, your voices have been heard. We have to admit that we should have done it differently! 

We will release Divinity: Original Sin in the next few days. We are working on the Windows version of the game right now and waiting for the Mac build to arrive. The version of Divinity: Original Sin that will be available for sale, will be complete content-wise, and will allow for local/direct-IP multiplayer, but will come without the online matchmaking component and game auto-updating, which will be introduced as a later updates. 

Please bear with us and sorry for not providing full explanation in the first place[\quote]

GOG is losing it's way.

I don't see it like that at all, I see a successful company that is mature enough and appreciative enough of its fans that when they realize they made a mistake they apologize and rectify it. What more do you expect Monte?

Hubris is never an admirable quality in software companies, well done GOG for showing humility

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why does it look so WOW cartoonish. I realise that this is a new fad found in many games but it's bloody annoying. It does not make the action look better from bird perspective. 

Agreed, it's quite a departure from the first games almost realistic aesthetic, and not one I particularly enjoy. That said I can get over it and i'm currently simply enjoying playing around with the character creator, refreshingly detailed. Not very impressed with the voice acting, rather middle of the road.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I don't like the art style either, but the environments, etc. is a lot less WOWy than the characters and the game can look pretty nice in places. 

The real core of the game is the fact that there is a combination of ridiculous levels of detailed world interaction / manipulation, sheer number of NPCs to talk to, unorthodox quest solutions using your skills and items, things to see and do and craft, that recalls Ultima 7  as well as other golden age RPGs in a way very few games do today. 

• Like 2

Action points are like Fallout. Gifted, stick with it for more than 15 mins and you won't be confused. :p

Hehe, I didn't quit out of frustration. A hungry wife knows no patience. Im excited to get home today and play some more.

I see you made a mage, did you figure out how to learn scrolls?

I'm just moseying around the opening dungeon opening containers, finding keys, trying out my OP abilities on low-level undead (etc). Despite the cartoony graphics (which, zoomed out at 1900 x 1200 really aren't that bad) I can feel the original Divine Divinity heritage (high fantasy cheese, but agreeably ripe). I like throwing items about to trigger traps and it feels Very Olde Skoole.

I've made a Knight and a Shadow-thingie chick. They can talk to each other and earn character trait point things, I've noticed. My dumb knight got +1 romantic for not pointing out that Icarus-dude wasn't a fruit loop, for example.

All-in-all, at this moment in time, this game looks freaking great. I approve heartily. That people are making games like this again is making little dopamine rushes zing around my brain.

Well done, Larian.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

Which doesn't really make much sense at all, since MP already works fine with the backer version, which GOG already had since yesterday (so long as you used their downloader, manual was borked) and they've insisted Galaxy will be 'optional'. Removing the "Kickstarter backer, you're awesome" decal can't be that much work.

Why GOG presumes the majority of the clientele care even slightly about MP fripperies and auto patching is a bit of a mystery, most of the people there and who buy from there fundamentally don't want steam or they'd be buying from there in the first place. It's like they promoted the guy who decided on the shutdown stunt to head of PR over the past few months- or hired some idiot MBA as a consultant.

• Like 2

Yeah, scrolls are single use only. But spells are not too difficult to learn, and there's hours of exploring and looting to do within Cyseal.

I caught myself giggling with enjoyment today, that hasn't happened in at least five years. Is this an incline I see before me?

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Ugh, this turned out messy. I used three beta keys, for the three digital copies I'm entitled to, but I need all but one of them back. They say they'll have a mechanism to convert them to GOG keys, but that's good for only one of the copies, I need to unredeem the other but for it to remain a Steam key, but there's no apparent way to do that....

Why use 3 beta keys??

Well given that they were supposed to be temporary, I liberally gave them away to people who wanted to demo the game. Ironically perhaps the beta I redeemed to my own account I never actually played, the others got some use, and indeed one turned into a purchase.

So actually, that solved the issue of getting one of the copies back, the person I gave one of the keys to purchased the game for themselves in the Steam sale as a tradeable gift copy because Steam works that way when you have the beta registered, and so they've just sent me their purchased copy instead and I'll not recall that beta key. Just waiting to be able to convert the other copy to a GOG key (I requested a Larian Vault copy originally, but looks like that's no longer an option).

As to the whole GOG incident, I too find it hard to believe anyone thought that a two month delay in releasing a game made any sense businesswise. It does make me think that perhaps the delay is actually that GOG Galaxy was meant to launch much earlier but met some delays. I'm not so hot on the idea of Galaxy either, but recognise that the old games business is pretty stagnant these days and that they probably need new revenue streams.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I don't like the art style either, but the environments, etc. is a lot less WOWy than the characters and the game can look pretty nice in places. 

The real core of the game is the fact that there is a combination of ridiculous levels of detailed world interaction / manipulation, sheer number of NPCs to talk to, unorthodox quest solutions using your skills and items, things to see and do and craft, that recalls Ultima 7  as well as other golden age RPGs in a way very few games do today.

More or less this.

But I don't have an issue with the art style so much as I have a problem with all the female portraits being freckled gingers with goth-levels of eyeshadow. Damn soulless gingers. At least I got my male Cleric rocking an afro and a handlebar moustache. That alone takes the game into solid 8/10 territory.

Currently the female Wayfarer is disguised as a barrel and stealing paintings from an artist's stall in a marketplace because the rooster the artist is painting was rude.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1