Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter

C2B

Pledged, recently finished a playthrough of Divine Divinity and was very impressed, it's what I personally think Diablo should have evolved into. I also like their mission statement that they're making games which they wish to play rather than courting demographics, seems an eminently sensible position. I do hope they don't go too far on the humour front however, but stay classy and respect their own gameworld.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I've backed it and everyone else and their dog should as well! DOS is actually top of my list for 2013 - and it's slated for an Oct/Nov release so yay! Co-op play, awesome editor, great visuals and crafting, etc. What's not to love? Damn this is going to be an utterly fantastic year for RPG fans!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin

Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!

Merged Divinity Original Sin Kickstarter threads...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Timing seems a bit off given there are two other big RPG kickstarters running concurrently. Supposedly they got a bit gazumped, but they probably should have waited the extra couple of weeks.

Indeed. Or extended the duration by a week or so, to put it on a different month for credit card bills.

Hmmm... I loatehd DD1 first time I played it. A few months ago, i tried it, and enjoyed it. Then, pllayed DD2 and liked it. Was looking forward to the new game...

That said, this seems kind of seedy.  I am not impressed by this tatic,.

Next we are gonna see EA/BIO starting a KS to finance the last 6 months of dev time for DA3. LMFAO

LAME

P.S. This isn't bashing the game itself. It looks like it will be very fun, and if I see it in stores I will pick it up most likely. But, screw their peice of crap mehtod.

L0L KS Ford gonan start a KS. L0L

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hmmm... I loatehd DD1 first time I played it. A few months ago, i tried it, and enjoyed it. Then, pllayed DD2 and liked it. Was looking forward to the new game...

That said, this seems kind of seedy.  I am not impressed by this tatic,.

Next we are gonna see EA/BIO starting a KS to finance the last 6 months of dev time for DA3. LMFAO

LAME

P.S. This isn't bashing the game itself. It looks like it will be very fun, and if I see it in stores I will pick it up most likely. But, screw their peice of crap mehtod.

L0L KS Ford gonan start a KS. L0L

Yes, if DA3 was crowdfunded it may actually be a truer RPG and more of the sort of niche product we might like. As it is, funded by EA (that are on the record as saying they now need 5m sales to breakeven), DA3 will need to be actioned-down and stripped of complexities/challenges to appeal to ever wider audiences. But at least it will be pretty, graphics -wise. Also EA funding means tons of inefficiencies, and to pay for this bloated dev team focusing on multiplayer and graphics, we'll be charged $90 for some 'deluxe' edition at launch and another $60++ for dlc and microtransactions.

Crowdfuning = possibility of RPG niche, AAA publisher funding = mass market trite, press X to win appears to cost 'just' $60, end up spending $200.

• Like 1

Larian went the self-funding and self-publishing route about a year before the Kickstarter hype started, so they kinda missed the boat.

But even if they hadn't, it's unlikely this will ever get to 1,000,000. Not enough hype, well-known developers and marketing buzz but just a bunch of hard-working, earnest and henceforth utterly boring Europeans.

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I really quite liked Divine Divinity, and I think one of the things I liked the most about it was that the game world was kind of Ultima VII ish in the level of exploration that was available. Never got all that far in Divinity 2, but it seemed to have similarly enjoyable levels of exploration. Also they had a bunch of neat side quests that were pretty cool.

• Like 2

Thought their little memorial to the victims of 11/9 was rather classy, stumbling upon that was rather favourably immersion breaking, a nice touch.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I liked Divine Divinity a lot.  I thought Beyond Divinity was a good idea, just not particularly well executed.  For whatever reason, I never got into Divinity 2.  This project, however, looks and sounds fantastic.  The fact that it's turn-based puts a big smile on my face.  Drop in and drop out co-op is always a plus, as long as it's executed and balanced properly.  What I was really impressed with was how different environmental elements and spell effects augmented each other in combat.  If they reach their funding, and I think they will, and then some, hopefully they expand on that.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Divine Divinity didn't have turn based combat, the later installments were pretty uninteresting to me at least. I don't see how this is a return to the roots. 

www.pcgamesn.com/indie/no-preconceptions-just-predecessors-larian-studios-swen-vincke-influence-old-school

Sven said he always wanted TB, but the s****y publishers...ya know ?

Edited by bussinrounds

The first update features a look at the editor ... which looks like even I might understand the scripting! ;)

Anyway, in the video they make a brief scenario via the editor, that made me laugh with a popular game reference. :lol: Oh, you cards.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Divine Divinity didn't have turn based combat, the later installments were pretty uninteresting to me at least. I don't see how this is a return to the roots. 

Old 3d games really show their age and are often unplayable. The Isometric 2,5 D like the infinity engine with pre rendered sprites are still playable so that's a plus at least.

Turn based was what Swen originally wanted to do with Divine Divinity, but as is often the case, publishers had their say. Same thing with Ego Draconis - they never really wanted to program for the funbox. So this is indeed a return to their roots and it was started on their own as an individual developer, free from publisher constraints. With the rebirth of old school CRPG's, this one personally tops my list. That it was initially started without any crowd funding shows their commitment.

Edited by licketysplit
  • Like 1

The first update features a look at the editor ... which looks like even I might understand the scripting! ;)

Anyway, in the video they make a brief scenario via the editor, that made me laugh with a popular game reference. :lol: Oh, you cards.

That code language looks... way too primitive. How do you even control scope? Ah well.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Kind of interesting to hear them criticizing their own game.  I guess the point being that the criticisms are some of the things they're looking to address with the Kickstarter funding.  I wonder if you can charm the animals.  I'd love to lead a whole squadron of sheep into battle.

:brows:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks