La neuvième art (comics you've been reading)

Agiel

Corto Maltese... that brings back memories. I wonder where my old Modesty Blaise collection ended up.

On an unrelated note, Le Schtroumpfissime (The Smurf King) should be mandatory school material in all modern "democracies".

kingsmurf.jpg

It's basically Machiavellinism explained for lay people. Never trust your government :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

i've never been a comic reader really, but recently i've been giving it a shot

currently working my way through the Civil War comics - catching up on all these old storylines i've heard about

Hope you've been enjoying it so far.

IMO, it would be best to avoid the megaevents.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Finished the first four episodes of the New 52 and am loving it. I really dig the artwork in this series. Wonder Woman is so badass!

Which book are you reading?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Finished the first four episodes of the New 52 and am loving it. I really dig the artwork in this series. Wonder Woman is so badass!

Sorry, I don't understand your question (and I may be using the wrong terminology). Im reading these on my iPad using the Marvel and DC Comics apps. WRT the New 52, I just finished the fourth episode (which is really numbered as three since they started at zero) and this episode introduced Wonder Woman.

Sorry, I don't understand your question (and I may be using the wrong terminology). Im reading these on my iPad using the Marvel and DC Comics apps. WRT the New 52, I just finished the fourth episode (which is really numbered as three since they started at zero) and this episode introduced Wonder Woman.

Which ongoing series are you reading?

Im currently reading: New 52 (which only has 19 episodes so far), The Astonishing X-Men (have the first 6 of those), Crisis on Infinite Earths (only have the first episode) and have my eye on Civil War.

What are you currently reading?

Corto Maltese... that brings back memories. I wonder where my old Modesty Blaise collection ended up.

I have to finish getting Modesty Blaise - really liked the series I've read so far.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Im currently reading: New 52 (which only has 19 episodes so far), The Astonishing X-Men (have the first 6 of those), Crisis on Infinite Earths (only have the first episode) and have my eye on Civil War.
I'm a bit confused by what you mean by New 52. DC is currently calling the whole line of in continuity series "The New 52".

Also, I would pick up Civil War, but would avoid most Marvel events.

What are you currently reading?

DC: Demon Knights, Phantom Stranger, Justice League Dark

Image: Invincible, Witch Doctor, East of West, Saga

Marvel: Daredevil, Scarlet Spider, Indestructible Hulk, Captain America, Avengers, New Avengers, Venom, Thor, Wolverine and the X-Men, Avenging Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man, Iron Man, All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Secret Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Deadpool

Edited by KaineParker

I just finished the first two trades of IDW's Popeye series which is awesome. Its a great distillation of the E. C. Segar comic character, the Fleisher cartoon character and a few other popular elements rolled into a great comic.

Now working through the first trade of Axe Cop...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That's what I use and I really dig it. The apps let you share the comics across all devices and also offer whats called a "guided view" option, which instead of seeing the whole page at once it will instead show you each panel in order, which I prefer. I don't know how the prices compare to physical media though.

Most companies sell their digital comics at cheaper prices than the physical.

Digital sucks on a tablet for french-belgian bande desinee because the format is so large.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I wish they would get going on digital subscriptions. Paying for 12 issues at once for a small discount and having each issue download automatically when released would be sweet.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

bd_thorgal_001.jpg

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

Definitely must recommend Thorgal comics, they have very unique charm to them.

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

I wish they would get going on digital subscriptions. Paying for 12 issues at once for a small discount and having each issue download automatically when released would be sweet.

I second this fine idea.

I'm thinking of picking up Manhattan Projects, does anyone here follow that.

Also

In SSM 9, Doc Ock kills Peter Parker again, while guilt-tripping him(never mind Doc Ock is a mass murderer who just tried to destroy the world).

I swear, Dan Slott never ceases to surprise me with how bad he is at writing.

Edited by KaineParker

I'm thinking of picking up Manhattan Projects, does anyone here follow that.

Also

In SSM 9, Doc Ock kills Peter Parker again, while guilt-tripping him(never mind Doc Ock is a mass murderer who just tried to destroy the world).

I swear, Dan Slott never ceases to surprise me with how bad he is at writing.

Is he Jeph Loeb bad?

Got caught up on what was going on in Ultimate Marvel over the weekend. Some things brought back bad memories of Ultimatum. Ugh, so bad. Yes, lets kill a teleporter with a tidal wave. Magneto can use Mjolnir. Magneto can use magnetism to kill every living cell in Wolverine's body. Blob is now a Cannibal and suddenly ages 15 years. Pyro is now a sadistic rape-loving member of the brotherhood when the issue before he was a loveable member of the X-Men. He can't even keep continuity from one issue to the next.

Jeph Loeb is to Marvel what Stephanie Meyer is to Vampires.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

A friend of mine who was into Marvel had told me about The Sentry, saying that it would probably be the most wretched thing I would ever have the displeasure of reading. While as I have said before I didn't have a terribly high opinion of superhero comics, I was open-minded enough to at least read some of the issues he showed me to see if our opinions differed...

Soon after, I learned that my friend was 100% accurate in his assessment; even with my fairly limited knowledge of the Marvel canon I felt as if the writers had gone out of their way to anger the readers, then continued to rub jagged pieces of rock salt into the wounds with every successive issue when a sane editor would have killed the series long ago with the crazy contrivances they have grown so fond of using over the years.

I have heard defenders make fair points about the redeeming qualities of the character; the core of the character I don't find particularly objectionable (the Dr. Manhattan concept operated on similar principles). But the execution was bungled every step of the way.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling